Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Engine Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Cleaning

Well today I found out that mud holes can be alot worse than they appear. It had some grass growin in it and barely any water standing and it was never more that a little splash. So long story short, I went in it in 2 wheel and of corse 4 wheel wasn't much better since i was already stuck. After 10 minutes of back and forth mud slinging i got it unstuck and now I've got mud an crap in the engine bay and on the engine.
So tomorrow I'm going to clean it and I was wondering if I should cover up anything like the alt or the fuse box or anything like that when spraying it. I tried to search but never found anything.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive never had a problem with pressure washing everything under the hood on my '99 taco and '84 4runner, i always take it for a drive after cleaning to help dry it out faster
Old 07-21-2007, 05:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i pressure wash mine and it's fine. i try to avoid my electrical and intake though. not too worried about getting those things wet, but i wouldn't want to saturate them
Old 07-21-2007, 07:33 PM

If you pressure wash at a car wash, dont pull the trigger mode, the regular rinse will do fine. I think it's better if the engine is warm versus hot. For some reason hot manifolds and cold water don't seem to mix in my head...can you say CRACK?!
Old 07-21-2007, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

I take a plastic bag and put it over air filter. And one for distributer. engine degreaser from the bottom up (stay away from manifold) Then spray away.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
pretty easy make sure its not hot use lots of plastic bags first disconnect the battery place a few bags over the fuse box then some over the alternator dont be shy then remove the air filter stuff a towl in the box close the lid spray it down take some castrol super clean let it set for 5mins then lightly spray it down then take a brush and start scrubbing and repeat as needed if you have leaf blower used that to get rid of most of the water after your down
Old 07-22-2007, 05:03 AM

Just go wash away. I've been doing it for years on multiple vehicles and have never had a problem. Clean 'er up!
Old 07-24-2007, 04:08 AM

Mine has been cleaned with the high pressure hose at the car wash once a month when I'm not off road and more when I am off road. Just pull in the bay, open the hood, disconnect my light of the hood(it will break from water) and I spray with high pressure and water. Then I spray everything with Mean Green from the dollar store, let sit a few minutes and rinse. When I get home I wipe down the hoses and all black and plastic with a cheap spray wax. My engine looks like new and it's an 01. My mechanic loves it! Never covered or babied anything on it. Just wash until clean. Mike
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-24-2007, 04:45 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by TerraRunner
If you pressure wash at a car wash, dont pull the trigger mode, the regular rinse will do fine. I think it's better if the engine is warm versus hot. For some reason hot manifolds and cold water don't seem to mix in my head...can you say CRACK?!
'Tis what I do.
I pull into the bay and spray Gunk Foamy Engine Brite over everything under the hood.

Whooooa, huge can

I let it sit for 5 minutes, then I use the coin up on spray only and rinse with no trigger pressure.

I will also use the foam brush they have and soap the underside of the hood and scrub it.

I do not cover anything, never have.

After I rinse it all off, I start up the engine and let it run for a few minutes while I check everything under the hood before heading home.

Just did this Sunday as it was dirty from the Greenwater trip.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:12 AM

i wish i had the balls to just spray away... im already on my 3rd alternator and 2nd starter though, so now i cover up my fuse box and alternator and just try to not get the starter wet. i dont worry about the intake much, but i generally saturate the thing in engine cleaner and then rinse it off, i cant get it as clean as some of these guys though!!
Old 07-24-2007, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by RunnerUp
i wish i had the balls to just spray away... im already on my 3rd alternator and 2nd starter though, so now i cover up my fuse box and alternator and just try to not get the starter wet. i dont worry about the intake much, but i generally saturate the thing in engine cleaner and then rinse it off, i cant get it as clean as some of these guys though!!

Don't know what would cause your alternator or starter to go bad but I can't believe it's from cleaning your engine with a pressure washer.This is my 4th truck that I have cleaned the engine and engine bay in this fashion and never had a problem from it. If water was going to bother anything under your hood then most people would never go off roading in mud and water. My engine has been so soaked with mud that you couldn't even tell it was an engine but after a good pressure wash and a couple of dollars in quarters it looked like new.The biggest thing you have to watch is soaking the air filter with dirt, mud and water. Go wash that sucker and keep it clean, you will love the way it looks, I guarantee it, Lol. Mike
Old 07-24-2007, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Beartracker
Don't know what would cause your alternator or starter to go bad but I can't believe it's from cleaning your engine with a pressure washer.This is my 4th truck that I have cleaned the engine and engine bay in this fashion and never had a problem from it. If water was going to bother anything under your hood then most people would never go off roading in mud and water. My engine has been so soaked with mud that you couldn't even tell it was an engine but after a good pressure wash and a couple of dollars in quarters it looked like new.The biggest thing you have to watch is soaking the air filter with dirt, mud and water. Go wash that sucker and keep it clean, you will love the way it looks, I guarantee it, Lol. Mike
i dont burn my alts out with spraying i do it by going past my head lights inw ater

i use a hose on a low pressure setting, replacing those alternators is a pain