Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Emergency Brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emergency Brake

I have a 98 4 runner with drums in the rear and it is my understanding that the emergency brake will automatically adjust every time it is engaged. I also imagine that it should stop once it has reached the correct point of adjustment. However, mine has a special feature installed that it will not stop and it continually tigthens the brakes until the shoes are contacting the drum so tight that it is as if the emergency brake is on all the time. I have temporarily alleviated this problem by bending the "self adjuster" so that it no longer engages the adjustment nut, but would like to correctly repair it. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have also searched the forum but these computer things are tricky and any help being pointed in the correct direction is appreciated as well.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by heyguyswaitforme
I have a 98 4 runner with drums in the rear and it is my understanding that the emergency brake will automatically adjust every time it is engaged. I also imagine that it should stop once it has reached the correct point of adjustment. However, mine has a special feature installed that it will not stop and it continually tigthens the brakes until the shoes are contacting the drum so tight that it is as if the emergency brake is on all the time. I have temporarily alleviated this problem by bending the "self adjuster" so that it no longer engages the adjustment nut, but would like to correctly repair it. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have also searched the forum but these computer things are tricky and any help being pointed in the correct direction is appreciated as well.
I assume this bolded part is a joke. But first thing is to check the gaps at the bellcranks--if it is too wide it can over-tighten the adjuster. On-line FSM has the instructions.

FSM--Rear Brakes