Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

elocker little by little?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
elocker little by little?

still totally torn about the weather or not to lock the 4runner but i want to regear soon. im looking at east coast gear supply and it looks like it would cost me just a few bux more to get the e locker house then a regular open third. is it possible to put an elocker housing on without a motor? i see downey offers a manual engaging kit that "freeze plug for original motor hole" i know i would have to mod the axle to fit it but at least this would give me the option to easily add the locker some day.

Also what is tripple/double flanged? thank you yotatech.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:55 PM

IMO wait and get the locker and gears at the same time. Also, read up on modifying the axle and make sure it is something you are capable of doing and have the equipment for. You need a drill press, drill tap, welder, grinder etc...I'm about to retro fit an elocker in my 89, I have the e locker third in my garage just waitin for my gf's dad to get some free time to help me out.

A double/triple drilled flange means that the output flange is drilled for 2 or 3 different types of driveshafts. Different years have different bolt patterns on the driveshafts.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 PM

i know i can retrofit an elocker house to my axle. im just asking if i can install the regeared housing without a motor...
Old 05-13-2009, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by onroadrunner
i know i can retrofit an elocker house to my axle. im just asking if i can install the regeared housing without a motor...
You're not going to be able to find an elocker housing without and elocker. Unless you find an elocker third and take the elocker out for some reason...no company will sell that. I would say no you can't do it and honestly I would just wait to regear it and lock it at the same time so you don't have to pay for labor twice. That could save you anywhere from $150 to $300 dollars depending on what you're local shop charges for gear installs.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dude i think your asking if you can put in an elocker and not have it locked.

the answer is yes, you dont even need the motor wired up to lock the axle, all you need is a screw driver to lock or unlock it. Just buy the elocker already gear'd and throw it in your rear.

Its selectable for a reason
Old 05-13-2009, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by crolison
Dude i think your asking if you can put in an elocker and not have it locked.

the answer is yes, you dont even need the motor wired up to lock the axle, all you need is a screw driver to lock or unlock it. Just buy the elocker already gear'd and throw it in your rear.

Its selectable for a reason
I think he meant can you get the e locker housing but no elocker in it at all to save money and but the elocker later to put in.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:22 PM

Elocked

I guess everyone has there own two cents eh?
I went and bought a complete axle with a elocker from a local junkyard and they gave me the front 3rd member to go with it for less than 900 Smackers.
the axle and 3rd just happen to have 4:56 gears and that tickled my little fancey pants... I had ongoing axle seal issues anyway..
Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by toytim
I guess everyone has there own two cents eh?
I went and bought a complete axle with a elocker from a local junkyard and they gave me the front 3rd member to go with it for less than 900 Smackers.
the axle and 3rd just happen to have 4:56 gears and that tickled my little fancey pants... I had ongoing axle seal issues anyway..
Nice, I got brand new 4.88's installed in the e locker housing and it was all rebuilt and the front 4.88's from a guy on this forum for around 750 total. So I guess it's all about searching around. It'd be harder for the OP though since he can't find factory 4.88's that directly swap in to his 4runner's front IFS. I'm assuming that would be his gear choice for the tires he has and for the auto.