Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electrical problems

hey, whats sup...jess wondering what may seem to be the problem on my 98 4runner that i recently bought..new guy with a 4runner needs help
jess wondering if i need a new relay for my lights like a blinker relay..i have some weired stuff goin on..first one is my right turn blinker ok, from a distance before i make my right turn, i put my right turn blinker on, then as soon i be makin that right turn i press on my brakes, then all of a sudden my blinkers starts blinkin fast as if thre is a bulb gone, while that is happeing the reverse light on the gauge cluster , u know how u put it on drive there is a light under D,,but yeah the light under the R for reverse starts to blink aswell..this only happens when i press on my brakes..but with out press on my brakes it works fine...? second one is when i put it on reverse without pressing on the brakes everything is fine as soon as i press on the brake, one of my reverse lights on the rear tail lights goes out, right tail light one, then my turn signals stays on both front and back turn signals, but this only happens when i press on the brakes..while reversing without press on the brakes everything is fine....what maybe the problem on this..is it a bad relay, fuse,etc....need help!!! thanks..sorry for the long story.......hope u guys understand..need help please!!!..
Old 05-13-2004, 09:33 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
I'm no expert, but it sounds like a wire-to-wire short circuit somewhere in your brake wiring or it's a common component in the lighting system that's gone FUBAR (F***ed Up Beyond Repair). I'd leave that one for the stealership or a shop you have faith in, IF you're not electrically inclined.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:25 AM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 984runnerONE
hey, whats sup...jess wondering what may seem to be the problem on my 98 4runner that i recently bought..new guy with a 4runner needs help
jess wondering if i need a new relay for my lights like a blinker relay..i have some weired stuff goin on..first one is my right turn blinker ok, from a distance before i make my right turn, i put my right turn blinker on, then as soon i be makin that right turn i press on my brakes, then all of a sudden my blinkers starts blinkin fast as if thre is a bulb gone, while that is happeing the reverse light on the gauge cluster , u know how u put it on drive there is a light under D,,but yeah the light under the R for reverse starts to blink aswell..this only happens when i press on my brakes..but with out press on my brakes it works fine...? second one is when i put it on reverse without pressing on the brakes everything is fine as soon as i press on the brake, one of my reverse lights on the rear tail lights goes out, right tail light one, then my turn signals stays on both front and back turn signals, but this only happens when i press on the brakes..while reversing without press on the brakes everything is fine....what maybe the problem on this..is it a bad relay, fuse,etc....need help!!! thanks..sorry for the long story.......hope u guys understand..need help please!!!..
You did not mention but do you have a trailer harness ? possible wires cutting into some metal and shorting as you apply the turn signal so when your break it shorts out ??? just a guess but worth a look see
Oh and Welcome the board...
Old 05-13-2004, 11:28 AM

Your possibilities could be

a. short somewhere in your wiring, wiring harness for a trailer if you have one.
b. Wrong type of bulb in one of your lights (my corolla did some similar things as you describe with the wrong bulb in the brake light)
c. Check for corrosion on all of your contacts for your lights.
Old 05-15-2004, 11:51 AM

i dont have a trailer harness..its crazy it only happens when i press on the brake but with the brake not being press it signals fine...any more input to this ..thanks