Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ECT Power/Norm Button

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 04:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECT Power/Norm Button

I have a 04 Tacoma 4x4..It has the RR Diff button plus this other for ECT power and norm...I asked the dealer they did not know...ANy info would be great...
Old 03-05-2007, 04:41 AM

I am pretty sure it says it in the owners manual - don't know why the dealer could not answer. I dont have the difinition on me but I think all it really does is change the point at which the tranny shifts, enabling higher rpms under normal loads - better towing and sportscarlike driving?!

I click it in while towing.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:41 AM

You cant be serious. You asked the dealer and they didnt know? The dealer should know. It has been on auto toyotas since the 80's. The ECT button is to disable the overdrive. Normal is for everyday driving. Power disables the overdrive. That is the simplest way to put it. So if you are towing something you would use power. Also, I would never go back to that dealer agian. Im assuming you know what the RR Diff button is. So thats good. I still cant believe the dealer didnt know.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by BAMF_CT2004
You cant be serious. You asked the dealer and they didnt know? The dealer should know. It has been on auto toyotas since the 80's. The ECT button is to disable the overdrive. Normal is for everyday driving. Power disables the overdrive. That is the simplest way to put it. So if you are towing something you would use power. Also, I would never go back to that dealer agian. Im assuming you know what the RR Diff button is. So thats good. I still cant believe the dealer didnt know.
hmm...what would be the purpose of the o/d button then?

it changes the shift points of the transmission, so if your giving it a little more then normal, it wont shift out into a lower gear, but allow you to stay in a higher gear longer. good for if your towing a heavy load up hills and such
Old 03-05-2007, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by 91TPU

it changes the shift points of the transmission, so if your giving it a little more then normal, it wont shift out into a lower gear, but allow you to stay in a higher gear longer. good for if your towing a heavy load up hills and such
yeah, your right. Sorry to early in the morning. Mixed the two up. I dont know what i was thinking My bad.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by BAMF_CT2004
yeah, your right. Sorry to early in the morning. Mixed the two up. I dont know what i was thinking My bad.
its all good...i remember sitting in my ex's celica thinking what does this button do...i pop it in an gun it and i was like thats cool i want that lol...its def a nice feature...really gives auto's a lil more pep.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:21 AM

No they really did not know what it was for...I do know what the RR Diff is for...It is sad that they sell something they know nothing about..To nice of a truck to pass up and not alot of them around here...
Old 03-05-2007, 05:26 AM

I use mine most of the time, Im running 285's Cooper STT's and 295 Nitto Terra's and since I have not re-geared the Runner lags a little. When driving distances on the highway and freeway the ECT button when activated allows the Runner to not downshift as much when I hit the hills on the overpasses and what not. It does save some gas when I use it like that.

Aaron
Old 03-05-2007, 05:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
91TPU has it... Just to add one thing, "ECT" stands for "Electronically Controlled Transmission".
Old 03-05-2007, 05:42 AM

So you guys are saying that when the ECT button is pushed the vehicle will hold O/D longer going up hills, and that will help with towing and all around performance how? I was under the impression that the ECT changes the shift points to a higher RPM so you can have more useable power, and on this theory it would be quicker to drop out of O/D and unlock the torque converter on the highway. Same with normal downshifts, w/ ECT activated the vehicle will downshift sooner to provide more power when you need it.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by pat161
So you guys are saying that when the ECT button is pushed the vehicle will hold O/D longer going up hills
Umm. no... it holds onto the lower gears longer. This can give you more power when your drag racing the GMC Jimmy in front of the grocery store, and it stops from jumping INTO OD too early when you're pulling a load uphill.

I was under the impression that the ECT changes the shift points to a higher RPM so you can have more useable power...
Right, but it doesn't change when the tranny downshifts.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:52 AM

the only time you need ECT is when you pull something or in the mtns.. well maybe 4 wheeling also.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by 91TPU

This is the info I was correcting, which clearly says it holds a higher gear longer. And I disagree, part of ECT power is it will downshift sooner.

Please read my thread and others before you try to correct me, I know exactly what the button does.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:41 AM

It's also good to use when you are in a hurry to merg onto traffic from a dead stop when entering the freeway. It's quicker and no hesitation to shift right off the line. Some guys like to drive around with the button on all the time but it's not for that and it will make your truck use more gas in the long run, Mike
Old 03-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Contributing Member

button is a joke... chill guys... it doesnt do much
Old 03-05-2007, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by HUTCHSTACO
button is a joke... chill guys... it doesnt do much

i can tell a small difference when i pull the boat. it just keeps it from going into overdrive as quick... most of the time i turn the overdrive off anyway when pulling a boat around town and turn it on if i am on the highway
Old 03-05-2007, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by pat161
This is the info I was correcting, which clearly says it holds a higher gear longer. And I disagree, part of ECT power is it will downshift sooner.
Right, it will stay in 3rd (which is higher than 2nd) longer before shifting to OD.

Please read my thread and others before you try to correct me, I know exactly what the button does.
Wow... So, you're going from "I was under the impression..." to "My word is golden, do not correct me".

Okie doke.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
Wow... So, you're going from "I was under the impression..." to "My word is golden, do not correct me".

Okie doke.
I thought the same thing...

When I use the ECT button, I really do feel the difference. In Normal, it changes to the higher gear quite a bit sooner, rather than letting me run the engine to a higher RPM like when in "Power". It especially useful now that I'm running 285's on 4:10's...
Old 03-05-2007, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber
It especially useful now that I'm running 285's on 4:10's...
hahaha... dude...
"SUPERCHARGER"
It makes that combo very worthy!
Old 03-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
hahaha... dude...
"SUPERCHARGER"
It makes that combo very worthy!
I wish!
Ah, someday maybe...someday. But then again, I'm already pushing the speed limits in the truck the way it is... I'd be in serious trouble with a S/C!

Quick Reply: ECT Power/Norm Button