Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Easy question for you guys

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy question for you guys

I'm still a bit new to Yota truck's, and I have the same rear sagging problem that just about every 2nd gen 4Runner/Pickup has. And from what I hear, the add a leaf is the easiest/cheapest way to go.

I've searched for that, but could not find what I wanted to know, which is...

How much should everything cost with labor at a average shop?

And if there will be a noticeable difference?

Thank's in advance
Old 01-11-2004, 03:19 PM

Call a 4x4 shop and ask for an estimate. It should take about an hour for them to put in a new set of coils (or leaves) and most places charge about $60 an hour.

I thought that all second gen tacos and runners had coils instead of leaves but I could be wrong. It should be pretty easy to see what you've got and go from there. I'd expect to pay about $90 for a new set of coils and maybe 120 for leaves (plus the labor). Air shocks are also supposedly a solution to this problem, but it seems like there's some people that love them and some that hate them so you'll have to research it.

For this extremely valuable information I expect you to give me your 240SX as compensation.

-Keith
Old 01-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by breakerfalls
I thought that all second gen tacos and runners had coils instead of leaves but I could be wrong.
those are 3rd generations. What you and I have is what's referred to as a second generation toyota. pickups have leafs and runners have coils. you can just get your existing leafs rearched as well. not sure of the cost since i've never had it done.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:40 PM

Actually sizzle, you and juggalo have 3rd gens. My truck is a 2nd gen.

Trucks have one more generation than 4runners do since the trucks appeared in 78, and runners came around in 85, which is when the 2nd gen of pickups began. So a 2nd gen pickup, is a 1st gen 4runner.

I would also like to know about the add-a-leafs. I have been searching yotatech (after looking at a 4runner in the suspensio round up) it looks like my truck's back end sags.

I have searched summit and wheelparts with no luck for 86-95 pickups. How much do the add-a-leafs themselves cost? I hear they are easy to install (I installed my shocks, and if the leafs are just as easy I am set). Rather than start a new thread, if anyone has an answer to my question as well, if you be so kind to answer in here as well.

Last edited by Plays_with_Toys; 01-11-2004 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:59 PM

Also, I would like to know from pickup owners (or 4runner owners who don't use the cap on the back) if the ride becomes more stiff? My rancho shocks already jar the heck out of me, and I don't want the ride to worsen, especially if the back end comes up too high, and I have to crank my torsion bars, I don't think I could survive that kind of ride.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:09 PM
Banned

I fixed my rear leafs with a $25 pair of Pro Comp Add A Leafs from 4Wheel parts. If your U joints haven't been off in 18 years and are rusted they are the hardest part of the job.

I don't have very long jack stands so I had to get creative with a floor jack and 2 bottle jacks to drop the axle and open the leaf packs. Sagged out leafs will droop a ton when you are trying to get them apart. I ended up jacking up the bottom leafs to get the axle out and get enough room to release the spring tension to add the new leaf.

The Pro Comp kit includes the longer center pins and everything you need except grease. It took 1:20 of my time to do it, but I've had my axle out before so I kinda knew what to expect, and I work slow on this kind of project.

A real shop could easily do it in an hour but most don't like to install carry-in parts.

Edit: My ride improved a lot since i'm not riding on the very stiff bottom overload leaf all the time. I actually get to use the rest of my leaf pack (softer) with the AALs.

Last edited by jx94148; 01-11-2004 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2004, 05:52 PM

You could always do longer rear shackles. This is really easy to do especially if your worried about it getting stiffer with add a leafs. Just a thought. Shackles are a good cheap and exact lift. I mean exact as a 2" longer shackle will give you 2" of actual lift. Where add a leafs are kind of a guessing game.
Old 01-11-2004, 06:06 PM

Are shackles another name for blocks? Cuz I have been told never to touch blocks for safety reasons.

Also, I am very interested in seeing these saleen race seats in your truck, got pics?
Old 01-11-2004, 06:41 PM
CTB

No, shackles are what connect the leaf spring to the frame.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:13 PM

I put longer shackles on mine when I went to 31 x 12.5s. That was awhile ago, but I think it gives you half the lift. Like a 3" longer shackle gives you 1.5" of lift. I got mine from 4 wheel parts.
Old 01-11-2004, 07:56 PM

Thank's a lot guys, I will call up, or go to some shops tomorow most likely to get more info
Old 01-11-2004, 07:57 PM

[i]

For this extremely valuable information I expect you to give me your 240SX as compensation.

-Keith [/B]
I will trade you for your 4Runner. Think of it this way, your Runner is RWD just like my 240SX, so you're gaining a lot of speed and not losing any traction
Old 01-12-2004, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by Plays_with_Toys
Are shackles another name for blocks? Cuz I have been told never to touch blocks for safety reasons.

Also, I am very interested in seeing these saleen race seats in your truck, got pics?
No they aren't blocks, but they're what I'd do in this guys situation. I still have no pics of the saleen seatsyet . I'll PM you when I do get some pics though. As mentined earlier, don't get your hopes up, they are more comfy than good looking. They were on the worn out side when I got them like 3 or 4 years ago from my friend with the Saleen.
Old 01-12-2004, 07:34 PM

Ever since I sat in my dad's Recaro desk chair (when I was 6) I have loved bucket seats. He's had them in several cars (not necessarily recaro's though), and while the bench seat is awesome for when a girl is in the seat next to me and we're just chilling, I have several very tall friends, which gets hard to transport them because then I have to slide back with them, and don't have as good of pedal control.

My dad also recently sold his saleen (88 saleen convertible, I believe 88, it was a year before an official saleen convertible came out, this stang was a one of a kind mustang convertable, brought to saleen and converted over, then the following year a production unit became available).
Old 01-12-2004, 08:30 PM

To add:
For an Add-A-Leaf, check out Rancho's soft ride AAL. From what I understand the regular AAL's make the ride fairly harsh. The soft ride AAL's are much better. (search on 4x4wire for some more info)
If you haven't taken your U-bolts off before, do yourself a favor and buy new ones from a local spring shop. Should be all of about $10-15.
Then take an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel and cut those old ones off.
You don't want to deal with trying to get 18 yrs of rust, etc. off those studs.
For lift blocks, there is a right way (custom - look at 4crawlers setup) and an unsafe way (standard way).
I say unsafe because lift blocks will increase the ammount of axle wrap you may or may not feel, and they are stressing the u-bolts trying to hold your rear axle to the springs in a way they weren't ment to do.
Lastly, shackles.
By far the easiest way to lift a vehicle, but you may run into driveline vibrations if you lift it too far. Just be careful of the pinion angle after it's done. That said, I have longer shackles on mine and I don't feel any vibrations. The amount of lift is exactly 1/2 the additional legnth of the shackle (3" longer shackle is 1.5" lift)
Oh, and if any of those shackle bolts become troublesome, get that angle grinder out again.
It is well worth it's weight just as a cutoff tool.
Hope this helps,
Todd