Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Easy pcv replaced on 3vze

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easy pcv replaced on 3vze

I had read you have to take the intake manifold off to replace the pcv valve off. I didnt have to, but I can see why. It was easy with just a pair of pliiers and a wire. First I took the hose off then wrapped the wire around the wire and fished it straight up. When I pulled it out I pulled the wire with one hand and the pliers in the other. It took some force but it came out and didnt mess up the grommet. The only thing I took off was the black support from the egr valve that runs to the top of the maniflod. It wa salot easier than replacing the fuel filter.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:27 PM

Yer lucky bastage..

You have the right idea but I also think you got lucky, in that your PCV valve was not stuck inside rock hard grommet. What year is your 3 VZE? Probably recent? Mine is 1990. I went the same route, but it took me 4 hours to do the damn thing. I removed all the little vacuum hoses, and tried to latch on to the PCV with very long pliers. After about an hour of trying to wiggle it out, I could see that it was frozen in there. That is because after 13 years the grommet turned rock hard, no longer rubber but a lock washer. It is a tight fit to begin with, and after it hardened, it completely locked the PCV valve in its hole. Well, I started picking at the grommet with anything I could reach it, pliers, screwdriver, etc. I broke off small pieces of grommet for about an hour and a half. What a nightmare. Eventually, by chipping away at it piece by piece, none of which were more than a 1 mm in diameter, I got about half grommet out. The PCV valve was wiggling a bit, now that the hole was a little bigger. I latched on to it with channel locks if I remember, and tugged on it for another 20 min. No go. Eventually, I pulled it one last time with my entire body weight. I almost fell backward but the darn thing finally came out. I was then able to fish out the last half or so of the grommet. It felt like it was made out of hardest plastic you can find, not rubber. Thinking I would only do this once, I obtained a new grommet from Toyota and an original Toyota PCV valve. It is a tight fit, took me probably another 30 min to coax the thing into the hole. Bottomline - total nightmare, terrible design - who the heck thought of putting the PCV valve in that practically inaccessible location? This valve better last the rest of the life of this engine now, haha
Old 05-17-2004, 03:47 PM

Mines a 91. Im glad I didnt have that much problems.