95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Easy, effective, Headlight mod - Huge improvement over stock bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Easy, effective, Headlight mod - Huge improvement over stock bulbs

And DOT approved too!

So... with all this talk of HID's and such, I just wanted to bring up a reminder that quality standard type headlight bulbs can also provide large gains in usable light and increased visibility. I have had a headlight burned out for the last week, and have been contemplating HID for a while, but have always decided it is not worth the effort and cost. So instead I opted for silverstar bulbs, $38 for two, and well worth it. They are extremely bright compared to the old bulbs (regular sylvania) and I can see a great distance farther now. They seem to work extremely well on my '99 and I would recommend these bulbs to anyone that needs new ones or wants to upgrade their lighting.

Another thing... they seem to now have Silverstar ULTRA for a bit more... anyone know anything about these, or if they would have been worth the $$?

http://www.sylvania.com/content/disp...x?id=003693261
Old 02-15-2008, 11:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i got silverstars a couple months ago, almost did the ultras but couldn't justify the money. i'm very happy with my silverstars though, much brighter than the stock ones i had in there and not dim like the xenon ones i got on ebay years ago, they burned out within a year too.

+1 for silverstars
Old 02-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+2 For the Silverstars. I have the Ultras. I dig em.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
lol ive spent well over 3hrs looking at which bulbs to get they say the sliverstar vs the ultra's are the same not much of a difference also something about tinted bulbs making the lights less bright
Old 02-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

the "regular" silverstars are awesome by themselves, but I don't know what really the Ultras do. On cheap ebay bulbs, color or tint doesn't do anything but dim. On semi-expensive bulbs, (like sylvania makes) they can give a "blueish" look, and still be okay, but not much brighter if any than stock, or yellowish to help in very bad weather if you had that year round (lots of fog/snow/rain)
Old 02-15-2008, 12:12 PM

I believe that the ultras are just super white compared to the blueish tint the regular ones have...not completely sure but I remember reading somthing about them.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:31 PM

anybody got pictures of the silverstars on there rides? i want to get an idea for what to get later on..
Old 02-15-2008, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

My lights are bright without being HID annoying. I noticed a huge difference over stock.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:03 PM

i upgraded to the ultras only because they had a ten $ rebate!!! so.... i couldnt pass them up. only wish i had clear headlamp cases instead but yep they work well!
Old 02-15-2008, 01:08 PM

I use to have some silverstars, they were bright, but they resembled stock headlights to much for my liking. So I got some Hella's from autozone, they were $45, and they were a lot brighter than the Silverstars. Plus they had a superwhite look which satisfied me!
Old 02-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
I use to have some silverstars, they were bright, but they resembled stock headlights to much for my liking. So I got some Hella's from autozone, they were $45, and they were a lot brighter than the Silverstars. Plus they had a superwhite look which satisfied me!
hella bulbs? or hella lamphousings? The silverstars are not anything like stock bulbs, not to start an argument, but it is an easy comparison.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:24 PM

I have gone through every type of light pretty much, excluding HID's that is, and at the moment am running the silverstar ultra's. They are pretty good, but can get washed out from foul weather, and thats where the fogs help. I have tried the GE nighthawks, the Crystal Visions, and the Ultras. For output the crystalvisions and Ultras are on parr, however the light colour from the crystalvisions had a cleaner white light when looking at them. The ultras do not have any tint. One day I may jump to the hella's but I'll see how long these ultras last.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:38 PM

so the ultras look really really white?
Old 02-15-2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by wjwerdna
hella bulbs? or hella lamphousings? The silverstars are not anything like stock bulbs, not to start an argument, but it is an easy comparison.
Hella H4 bulbs. Yeah of course the Silverstars were a great upgrade from stock, I was just saying they had to much of that stock halogen yellow look in them for my liking.

EuroDezigns are about to release a new bulb they have been making:
http://www.eurodezigns.com
5 YEARS IN THE MAKING
NEWEST TECHNOLOGY ON THE MARKET
OUT PERFORMS SYLVANIA

Last edited by Fo_SheeZy; 02-15-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

I replaced all the bulbs (forward facing) with the PIAA Extreme white bulbs. they are great but very expensive. I have replaced the foglights (9005) with Silverstars. I really cant see much difference and they cost 30.00 less per pair. use them on the minivan as well.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Silverstars come in white or blue. I have the white. Definetly an improvement over stock.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
Hella H4 bulbs. Yeah of course the Silverstars were a great upgrade from stock, I was just saying they had to much of that stock halogen yellow look in them for my liking.

EuroDezigns are about to release a new bulb they have been making:
http://www.eurodezigns.com

I don't tend to trust companies that spell things with a "z" instead on an "s".

I have the Ultras... they work great. When I purchased mine, I was told that the ultras were slightly longer lasting... that they had worked the kinks out of the normal silverstars (overheating=early burnout). Not sure how much of this I believe.

Last edited by kmcaprice14; 02-15-2008 at 06:19 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:41 PM

I had Eurodezigns on my Chevy a few years ago and was very pleased with their product. The lifetime warranty was good too. Just drop them in the mail with $6.00 and get a new set.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:24 PM

one thing i really like about silverstars in the beam pattern. at one time i had 1 regular halogen and 1 silverstar driving in really thick fog at night. the halogen was more like a pencil beam which blinds you on high beam, whereas the silverstar just floods the enire road with light. i can use my silverstars on high beam in thick fog or snow, dont even need the fog lights anymore.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:03 AM

for what its worth.... Ive not had much luck with the silverstars. Now dont get me wrong the quality of light was awesome. They were much brighter and whiter than the stock halogens. So what is my issue with them you might ask... well they didnt last very long. I went thru two sets in less than two months. yep they burnt out way too fast to pay 40 bucks a set for.
Just thought I would throw this out there for those thinking about purchasing these bulbs.

Quick Reply: Easy, effective, Headlight mod - Huge improvement over stock bulbs