Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

East Coast 5spd 3rd gens-Who has a crawler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
East Coast 5spd 3rd gens-Who has a crawler?

Of you east coast guys with 5spd 3rd gens-who has a crawler? Particularly intersetd in anyone having 5spd, 35's, 4.88's, and a crawler?

I know the west coast guys love crawlers, I'm just wondering how good it is for east coast wheeling since more times than not it is wet.

So, chime in and voice your opinion!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:18 PM

I am west coast but really want a crawler. Inchwormgear seems to have the best gig for us 5-speed 3rd gen owners, just wish it wasn't over $2k in parts alone. I wish someone could figure out how to get more reduction out of these chain driven units like the Jeep guys are able to do with the NP(231 I think).
Old 04-18-2007, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brett,
Are you wanting a low gear front case, and stock rear? Or both front and rear cases geared? Where we have been riding lately(Harlan, hot springs, grayrock, etc.) the need for dual low ranges is very limited, especially with a motor with as much power as the 3.4. The dual lows work well out west where the rocks are mostly dry, but where we are from with mud and rocks together, we really don't benefit from the stupid low gears. Wheel spin and oooomph gets you up and over, not insane amounts of torque. My suggestion would be to just get a second case pre-assembled from marlin and I think the will do you fine. We have 4.7's in the rear of a couple of rigs that we run and end up using it more for seconds at a time for "control" in tight spots rather than actual distance maneuvers if that makes sense. For the money, a crawl box is a good inveatment, but not necessarily the low, low gear. Plus the added torque from the doubler and 35's is gonna snap your front cv's like twigs. Btw, I thought you were selling your runner? Decided to keep it eh? I hope you do because it is one of the best built 3rd gens i have seen in the south and we both know that there aren't that many.

Hope you are well.

Matt

Last edited by TACOKRAWL; 06-30-2008 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TACOKRAWL
Brett,
Are you wanting a low gear front case, and stock rear? Or both front and rear cases geared? Where we have been riding lately(Harlan, hot springs, grayrock, etc.) the need for dual low ranges is very limited, especially with a motor with as much power as the 3.4. The dual lows work well out west where the rocks are mostly dry, but where we are from with mud and rocks together, we really don't benefit from the stupid low gears. Wheel spin and oooomph gets you up and over, not insane amounts of torque. My suggestion would be to just get a second case pre-assembled from marlin and I think the will do you fine. We have 4.7's in the rear of a couple of rigs that we run and end up using it more for seconds at a time for "control" in tight spots rather than actual distance maneuvers if that makes sense. For the money, a crawl box is a good inveatment, but not necessarily the low, low gear. Plus the added torque from the doubler and 35's is gonna snap your front cv's like twigs. Both my front inners are broken on my tacoma right now and I refused to fix them again. I ordered a Diamond front housing and birf-eliminators last week to start my 3-link on the first of next month. It should be interesting.

Btw, I thought you were selling your runner? Decided to keep it eh? I hope you do because it is one of the best built 3rd gens i have seen in the south and we both know that there aren't that many.
Hope you are well.

Matt

I was thinking 4.7's in the rear case and stock front case. I'm sure it'll be moving the diamond way eventually, but that will be a while. I guess really a stock 2.28 rear case might be all I need-save $450? Then I could have stock low and 5.86:1 low.

Going with the Allpro 3 link kit?
Old 04-19-2007, 06:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I saw first hand when I was standing there at Slickrock is that Bud from Budbuilt in his IFS Tacoma went up that thing the easiest by far, I asked him and he was in the full down 4.7 low and Stock low.

I would contact Bud. An MC09 is ALOT of money. That to most people will be the deciding factor.