Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

E locker Question

Old 07-30-2003, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E locker Question

I was looking at various write-ups.. and it seems that most people who are making the jump on the 3rd gens dont mention whether they have a center diff lock... which might throw a wrench in things whether it be the ECU or the wiring harness... I think Im leaning towards the air locker just because Im not sure how things are going to be, trying to get a elocker to work in my setup... anyone have a e-locker and an center diff locker?
Old 07-30-2003, 08:48 AM
Contributing Member

Ducky,

No older 3rd gens have center locks, the center lock is a feature on the newer 4-runners (maybe 2000 and newer, I'm guessing). At the moment, you have some sort of limited slip differential on the front and rear, right?

Assuming that the differentials are the same size, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to put an electric locker in there. One advantage of the ARB is that although you'd have to put in an air compressor, you'd be set up if you ever decided to lock the front end as well. As it stands, if you put the e-locker in the back, you'd still have to buy the compressor and air locker for the front, and would cost more money in the long run. However, most people can get into plenty enough trouble with the rear locked.

Last edited by Mad Chemist; 07-30-2003 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:54 AM

You know honestly I am not sure... It is the sport edition... but all I know is I have that center locker... Im prolley just going to get the ARB air locker... the only problem is Im still not sure if that will solve factory problems with the Traction control thing...

Im still hazy about the factory traction control... whether even with lockers, if its going to kick in if my tires spin and retard my timing or whatever the hell it does that annoys me to no end.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Your center locker has nothing to do with your rear E locker. You have to hook it up to a seperate switch so the systems will not interfere. If you have traction control, does it also have the feature that it is switched off when in low gear mode? Or is it active at all times?
Old 07-30-2003, 10:53 AM

I understand It has nothing to do with the center locker... but wouldnt that mean for instance the factory pre-exsisting wiring that "might" be there described on the sites of people who done the conversion, might be taken up by the center locker? (I honestly don't know) thats why I ask...

I think the traction control is disabled in 4low, it says it is when in 4 high, but I think its still active... I havent been out in a while... so ill have to check it... I just find it super annoying.

I know people said I shouldnt have any problems when I get a rear locker, I just dont know if the traction control will still be active when I get lockers and continue to annoy me or it will go away in either 4wd modes.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

Duh....
Can't you locate the switch thats tells the tractioncontrol to shut down, and permanently short circuit that wire?
I'm glad my 4R isn't littered with crap like that.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:31 AM

From My understanding of previous posts... many have tried to disable the VSC, and not able to actually pin down how to...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=11341
Old 07-30-2003, 11:47 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry. I don't know how this system works because I never have seen it. But I still think it can be disabeld. If your center diff engages, it turnes of if I understand it correctly. If there is a backup system, how does it detect the difference between a real switch to 4WD Low or high, or a faulty switch?
My guess is that when put in 4WD with the centerlock on, the center lock gets power, actuates and than actuates a sensor. Most likely a switch. This signal feeds back to the control system.
The system now knows its power up and has been truely actuated. Only then it disables the traction control.
So the trick is to give the controlsystem a signal that the center diff is gone be locked (but in fact it isn't), and also provide a second signal a second or so later, that the center diff is in lock mode.
I think the traction control will than shut down because it has received all needed command signals.
If you can provide me the wiring diagram I will figure it out for you.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

Okay, so after reading a little bit on the A-TRAC system on your 4runner, it looks like the vehicle has sensors so that when one tire begins to slip, it applies the brakes to that particular wheel, and allows the others to keep turning. This suggests that your current diffs may be completely open- your differentials are not joined when slippage occurs on one wheel, its traction control is largely through the brakes.

1) If you're center is locked, your front and rear axles are locked. That means that if one of the rear tires begins to spin, not all the power of the engine is going to get diverted to the rear, leaving the front motionless.

2) You should theoretically always have at least two tires spinning, one on the front axle, and one on the rear.

3) Since the front and rear diffs are open, you could theoretically be stuck if you had completely lost traction on one side of the vehicle. ie., the entire left side of your vehicle was hanging off a cliff.

4) However, if you were stuck on a cliff, your A-TRAC system would apply the brakes to the two tires that were spinning (the left front, and the left rear), diverting power to the other two tires on solid ground (the front right and rear right).

5) Now, what would happen if you put a locker in the rear axle, without disabling the A-TRAC system?

Well, lets assume that your vehicle is in the same position, hanging off a cliff. You've got your center diff locked, and you decide to lock up your rear. There are a couple possibilities.

1) Your rear left tire that is in the air shouldn't be spinning wildly, since the rear is locked, you'd have traction with the right rear tire. Both the left and right rear wheels would be turning at the same rate, since you have traction on the right rear. Your front left tire, however, is spinning in the air, so, your A-TRAC system kicks in, applies break to the front left, and diverts power to the other wheels. You manage to get off the cliff.

2) You hit the gas too hard, and since your rear is locked, you manage to get the right rear tire to lose traction and spin as well. The left rear tire is spinning already since its hanging in the air over a 1000 ft. cliff. Your front left tire, also hanging over the cliff, is spinning as well. The A-Trac system kicks in, and is going to apply brakes to all three tires except the front right, which is the only one that has traction. You manage to get off the cliff.

So whats the bottom line?
1) Its highly unlikely you have wiring for the e-locker on your vehicle, since the A-TRAC system is meant to replace the need for a locker.

2) You could wire up/install a locker (ARB or e-locker), independently of your A-TRAC system, and it should only provide additional traction than just a locker alone. The A-TRAC would give you a leg up over someone with just a rear locker and front open diffs. If you lost traction in the front end on one tire, the other front tire would keep turning.

My opinion is to leave the stock systems alone, and install the locker seperately. Just my opionion, I claim no responsibilty for what you might do to your vehicle!

Last edited by Mad Chemist; 07-30-2003 at 12:21 PM.