Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

E-locker inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-locker inquiry

New to the forum, first post actually, but already seems like the least dramafied forum ever. Anyway, I've searched and read up a little on the E-locker swap. I have a 98' limited with no e-locker and my wife has a 98' limited with an e-locker. My wife told me to do what I want cause she doesn't do anything with her truck anyway. So am I to assume to swap everything over would just entail a long weekend in the driveway and a little wiring?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
if both trucks have have the same axle ratio be easier to just switch out the whole axle's or trucks ?
Old 10-22-2009, 09:55 AM

I can't switch trucks, I take care of mine and it's black. I figured with having both trucks swapping the entire axle would be the easiest way. If the ratios don't match I guess I could pick and choose. Aside from that am I correct to assume I can just take everything else off her truck (switch, computer, rear harness...)
Old 10-22-2009, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not only would it be easier, but I don't think you have a choice but to swap entire axles cuz if you just swap 3rds, I don't think you'll be able to put your non-elocker 3rd in your wife's axle housing since it has the cut-out for the elocker motor. And like Elton said, make sure the ring and pinions are the same ratio.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

I will be a pain to get all the wiring from your wife's truck. You should check to see if your truck is pre-wired for the e-locker, then it will be a lot simpler (It's in one of the e-locker swap threads).

Having done the 3rd member swap, switching the axles will be a whole lot easier. You should go ahead and replace the rear axle seals why you are doing the swap.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
check this if it there diff guess you will have to swap around the front diffs too http://www.sonoransteel.com/Toyota_axle_codes.html and your wife is pretty cool letting you switch stuff around
Old 10-22-2009, 12:13 PM

What color is the Wife's RIG (ONCE YOU STOP cruising malls and start wheeling that what you call it . Personally i woiuld just trade rigs--"maintenance" hers and be done. Go head and paint it Camo or something like that--stickers--dents--you know the usual?

Just kidding--if you are going to do it swap it all over--axle, harness, computer and all unless you just get an Inchworm wiring kit. They are pretty simple and you get to lock it whenever you want.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:14 PM

Also, forgot--check your axle code to your wifes--if they are the same then things just got alor more simple!!
Old 10-22-2009, 03:31 PM

Axle codes are usually correct, but mine wasn't so just be aware.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:42 PM

Thanks for all the info! I'll check the codes after work tomorrow when i'm back under the truck.

hross14 it's not really a "rig" yet, and I all ready presented the digi-camo idea. It was pretty quickly shot down.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:43 PM

We have the same models, according to the Soranson deal 4.10 gears. Hers is apparently Canadian though, I'm not sure if that matters.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:37 PM

Heh. I actually just finished up this same thing. Stole the e-lock axle out of my wife's '99 and threw it under my '02. I had a bit more work with mine than you'll have as there are differences with the '01-02s from earlier years. Yours will be a straight shot unbolt, swap, bolt-on, bleed brakes and go--well actually, are they both either ABS equipped or non-ABS? If you only have to do the rears, you're loving it!--the fronts are a ton more work. I would suggest doing the old jack up one tire and spin it and count the pinion flange rotations to figure out for sure if they are geared the same--just to be sure.

Also, I thought I read somewhere that if you pull the 4wd ECU from the one that has the locker, it will disable ABS? I'm currently searching for more info on this... EDIT: After thinking about this some more, some 4runners came pre-wired for e-locker, yet did not have an e-locker. They obviously would have to do something about not having the ECU on these ones if they had ABS. I'm going to head out and disconnect my wife's 4Runner's e-lock ECU and see what happens. (I've got a second ECU and rr diff lock switch that I already bought off a part-out truck a while back so I haven't worried about pulling hers.) My '02 is not pre-wired at all, yours may be, you just have to check as there is three different wire harnesses that the 4runners could have came with. You're loving it if yours has the complete e-lock one. Not a big deal to run your own wiring though. Some 6way (combining grounds for the actuator and the indicator at the diff) or 7way trailer wiring and run it from the diff to the cab and splice it in. Here's a couple pretty helpful write-ups.

http://www.sonoransteel.com/phong/re...ic_locker.html
http://home.off-road.com/~kemanuel/elocker/elocker.html

-Ferg-

Last edited by theferg; 10-24-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:06 PM

I was looking to do this too, just wondering how much it costed in total?

Thanks
Old 10-25-2009, 12:12 AM

I wish I had a freakin' locker!!!

Might be possibly doing a swap a few years down the road, when I become more mechanically inclined. But interested to see how this swap goes, if the op decides to actually do it.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:39 AM

When I do it i'll try to do a write up with pics, cost, etc. It'll be a little while though as I have some other projects to come first, car related and other.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SafariRNR
We have the same models, according to the Soranson deal 4.10 gears. Hers is apparently Canadian though, I'm not sure if that matters.
I wouldn't trust the axle codes, check by spinning a tire and counting. You really don't want to stick either vehicle in 4wd and find out the front and rear diffs have different gears. And being Canadian shouldn't matter, they're the same mechanically. In fact a little Canuck DNA will just improve your US one
Old 10-25-2009, 07:01 PM

I don't plan on using it to play hockey.......
Old 11-07-2009, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by theferg
Also, I thought I read somewhere that if you pull the 4wd ECU from the one that has the locker, it will disable ABS? I'm currently searching for more info on this... EDIT: After thinking about this some more, some 4runners came pre-wired for e-locker, yet did not have an e-locker. They obviously would have to do something about not having the ECU on these ones if they had ABS. I'm going to head out and disconnect my wife's 4Runner's e-lock ECU and see what happens.

-Ferg-
Finally got around to testing whether or not disconnecting the e-lock ECU disables ABS and indeed IT DOES.

So, on the "pre-wired" 4runners/Tacos, is there some sort of a terminator connector that is connected to the e-lock ECU wiring harness? If so, anybody have one they want to get rid of or anybody have a part number?

Off to do some searching...

-Ferg-
Old 11-10-2009, 01:59 AM
Contributing Member

There are 4 types of 4WD computer on the VZNL/RZN185L 4Runners. Only one of the four is for the one with e-locker. Have you tried using the 2002 computer on the 1999?
Old 11-10-2009, 02:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
In fact a little Canuck DNA will just improve your US one

And make it rust faster. Ask me how I know!

Quick Reply: E-locker inquiry