Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

To e-lock or not to e-lock, that is a heck of a question!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:40 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
To e-lock or not to e-lock, that is a heck of a question!

Now that I have had a chance to roam a bone yard or two, I was wondering how difficult it is to install a factory e-lock rear end in my 98. Mine did not come with one from the factory but I have seen the switch on the dash of a few, but alas the rear ends had been "dismantled".

My real question here is what would be involved in such a transplant? Who here has taken on such a project and what did it involve? Does Toyota do like most other car manufacturers, have the wires in the harnesses so all that has to be done is add the hardware and just plug them in? I know alot of vehicles when built will have a single harness installed which can support all the available options for that model year and when the build sheets come out for a specific vehicle on the assembly line those options are just added and plugged in.

So fellow drivers, tell me the pros and cons, will it work or not or is it just not worth the time and money? Thanks
Old 06-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you want to swap the 3rd member, or the entire axle assembly?

Make sure the gear ratio matches. Chances are it won't which means you'll have to swap the front too. I bought a donor vehicle, swapped the front and rear diffs (entire axle assembly, housing and all), and wired up a switch and relay with OEM parts. You will need the ABS/4WD relay box from the donor vehicle, bits and pieces of the wiring harness, the switch, and some patience and know-how.

I swapped everything by myself with no lift, so it can be done. But my rig was down for a few days because we carpool. This may not be an option for you.

Would I do it again? Yeah. I bought the donor vehicle for less than I sold it for after the swap. So I ended up breaking even (after parts). I don't wheel that much, but when I do the locker is an excellent piece of mind and it takes wheeling to the next level.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 06-07-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:32 AM

I had to order a gasket for my carrier assembly this week. There were two different gaskets available, one for the e-locker and one for regular diff. I think the difference is that the e-locker assembly has one more bolt. This might mean that you will have to swap the entire axle assembly. I could very likely be wrong about this though.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:52 AM

You could just buy a Lockrite for just over $200 and install it yourself in a couple of hours. True, it's not as nice as having a selectable locker, but much cheaper and easier to install.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Now that I have had a chance to roam a bone yard or two, I was wondering how difficult it is to install a factory e-lock rear end in my 98. Mine did not come with one from the factory but I have seen the switch on the dash of a few, but alas the rear ends had been "dismantled".

My real question here is what would be involved in such a transplant? Who here has taken on such a project and what did it involve? Does Toyota do like most other car manufacturers, have the wires in the harnesses so all that has to be done is add the hardware and just plug them in? I know alot of vehicles when built will have a single harness installed which can support all the available options for that model year and when the build sheets come out for a specific vehicle on the assembly line those options are just added and plugged in.

So fellow drivers, tell me the pros and cons, will it work or not or is it just not worth the time and money? Thanks
Check out 4x4wire.com or I think there is even a link on sonoransteel.com
A lot of people have done it.

96runner - Why is the computer parts necessary? I was hoping if I cam across the right axle I could just bolt it up, run the wiring and then just make sure to only push the button at low speeds so I dont kill it!!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

try searching. Its been covered. The axle housings are different. If you don't mind drilling new holes and tapping them then the 3rd will bolt up. You can get an ecu or make your own also, this is all covered and yes there is a nice write up on pirate and there are schematics for the wiring diagram. For tacomas it might be easier to find a donor since lots more of them had them from the factory. The taco and runner suspension is different and the axles are therefor different. There was a deal on complete rear e lock axles on ttora for cheap not long ago, but they were for tacomas.

Like the other guy suggested, just put in a lock rite and try searching

Last edited by spaugh; 06-07-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SOAZtim
96runner - Why is the computer parts necessary? I was hoping if I cam across the right axle I could just bolt it up, run the wiring and then just make sure to only push the button at low speeds so I dont kill it!!
What would you run the wires to? That's what I was getting at. The OE relay box was easiest for me to use (had to buy one for $50) - but you still have to figure out the wiring, etc. From the box you have to wire up a switch (again OE was best for me). There are a number of options out there as mentioned. The hardest part was swapping the front diff, so if you can avoid that, by all means do!

The reason I could not take the relay box from the donor rig is because it disables the ABS when you pull it BTW.

I can explain it in greater detail when we meet up for a run one of these times.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Contributing Member

Ah. I look forward to talking with you on the next run.
I was thinking it could just be hard wired to a switch on the dash, OE or whatever and to a power source.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:15 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Here you go, Shannon -AKA tacozilla has brand new complete e-locker rear ends...https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117860