Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Ducky's Update...

Old 11-23-2003, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ducky's Update...

Well I finnaly splurged (well in my terms since I dont have alot of money) and went to central and got a Viair 450C and a 2.5gallon air tank...

and while I was there, I bought 2 more sets of Lightforces... for my roof rack... heh Im now at 3 million candle power... lol... trying to achieve "UFO" status since Gene got rid of his Runner...

Jowie and I started fabbing up a roof rack, I didnt want to spend 400-600 on a roof rack, so far we are into the rack about 100.00 and got the main body of it welded... In my opinion it looks good...

But everyone has their opinions.. lol...

We will post pics when we get the chance...

BTW... how does everyone route their hoses and such...
anyone can use mspaint or something to draw me up a pic of the setup...

like air compressor goes to manifold... manifold goes to tank.. tank goes to outlet... psi switch goes on manifold... bleeder and safety valve goes on manifold? everything other hole is plugged?

I had one Rob drew me.. but I lost it..
Old 11-23-2003, 10:01 AM

Hey Ducky,
Did you happen to be there between 12ish/1ish. I passed by Central (Kent) and saw a black 4runner w/an ARB bull bar there.
I was going to turn around to see if it was you but thought Id better stay away from that place. Your buying spree would have caused me to buy a few things I've been wanting.
Congrats on the air compressor.

Mike
Old 11-23-2003, 10:08 AM

Yea that was me... lol...

I was in there JUST to buy the air compressor... yea that place is evil... (j/k)

I saw they had 2 light forces left... and I was like... hrm.. spend 300 more or not... ahh heck...

I almost didnt get either since they showed me a new warn winch catalogue... which warn has a new winch that will work for my bumper.. it has a higher HP motor and bigger solonoid pack for longer running... it was 900 something... but then I would need a battery... an alternator... and to do some welding on my framerails... which I will do eventually down the road...

I almost got the winch that day, but their computer lied to them.. it said they had one in stock, but they didnt... =( so I have to wait a week...
Old 11-23-2003, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Ducky,

I'd hold off on the winch-

1) 500 bucks will get you an M8000 for 500, free shipping, which is more than you'll ever need, especially for a "once in a great while" winch that won't be seeing real heavy duty on a regular basis. More is better, but I'd spend the 400 bucks I saved on skid plates, or figuring out how to disable VSC......

2) As far as the battery and alternator, while I'm considering upgrading them at some point, I don't think this is an absolute requirement right off the bat. If you find you're doing a ton of pulling, worse case is the alternator will not be able to completely recharge the battery, but by the time you drive home, it'll be charged up just fine. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. You'd trash your battery pretty quickly if you did much winching with the vehicle turned.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:31 AM

Oh how I would like to talk to someone that is a mechanic at a dealership with resources to infomation.....

Jowie suggested that I take a computer from a 4x4 toyota that does not have vsc and just plug it in... Im not sure if that would work or not, then Im not sure that would prolley make me loose anti-lock brakes, who knows if it would cause any other problems, or even plug in to my wiring...

he also pointed out having a rear locker might not even solve my problem... my fronts could still spin and activate it, or even if my rears spin at the same time, would it activate... im not sure how it all works...

Last edited by Ducky; 11-23-2003 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:41 AM

Ducky,
Have you tried talking with Daryl (WATTORA member). Hes a mechanic at one of the Toyota dealers in Seattle. He's extremely helpful. If he doesn't know how to disable the VSC he could check it out for you.

I'll pm his e-mail to you.

I've been waiting to purchase the Warn 9500 but as David stated it is probably overkill. I recieved 4Wheel parts catalog a couple of month ago and the deal they were having on the 8000. I just might go that route.

Has anyone with an 8000 have any difficulty with not enough power?
Old 11-23-2003, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry, I'm not up on the Yota traction control. I assume they cut throttle when slippage happens and thats why you hate it so much. How does it cut the throttle? Are the newer 4Rs fly by wire?? Is there a motor or something that closes the throttle? OOOOH, winch envy! :drool: still waiting for a drool smiley...
Old 11-23-2003, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

i just ordered a M8000 with hawse for $509 shipped from 4WP.com
Old 11-23-2003, 11:07 AM

Certain Warns have a mail in rebate... 50$

"Get $50.00 back when buying a WARN 9.5ti, M12, M15, XD9000i or XD9000 winch"

http://products.warn.com/warn.nsf/pa...2003coupon.pdf

Turboale: From my experiences.. it is an annoyance... It does affect my offroading but Ive been able to get over things... you cant even gun it in gravel or wet pavement to spin your tires... it retards it a good amount... its supposed to disable in 4Low, but I can notice it there too.. there are several threads on here about trying to disable it, but many ppl just gave up..

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&highlight=VSC

I occasionally bring it up, because I think it would be a cool fix... IMHO.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

Steve Schaeffer's a pretty strong advocate of the M8000, and it sounds like he's used his in alot of different situ(ations. I picked up a snatchblock, so its not so much an issue of power, but line speed- the 8000 is going to be a little slower than others, and may build up heat a bit faster. Once again though, how many trips have you been on where a winch was used more than once or twice? I like having mine now, mostly so that on any given run, there will be at least one winch (Rob won't always be there... )

I'll ditto what Mike said- Daryll is a great guy, and is also a member of 4ROC.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
Steve Schaeffer's a pretty strong advocate of the M8000, and it sounds like he's used his in alot of different situ(ations.
haha i think he's used it once, maybe twice.

Steve is a strong advocate of anything he has.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:02 PM

Did I hear someone call my name? Hey Mike, Hey David whats Up ? Sounds like I have mission for monday. Daryl
Old 11-23-2003, 08:07 PM

Hey Daryl,
Long time no ride-together.

So hows your SAS going? Have you started it yet?
Old 11-23-2003, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Daryl!

How's that welding class going- ready for the SAS yet?
Old 11-23-2003, 08:34 PM

Hey guys , the welding class is going great, I'm getting pretty good on the mig welder. I have 2 more jobs to clear out of the garage , then I'll start cuttin up the 4runner
Old 11-23-2003, 08:53 PM

Hello.... soooo Daryl....

What do you know about VSC on a 01 Runner... and Disabling it...

Can you work with me on possible plans of disabling it or bypassing it?
Old 11-23-2003, 10:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...As far as the battery and alternator, while I'm considering upgrading them at some point, I don't think this is an absolute requirement right off the bat. If you find you're doing a ton of pulling...
But... remember that Sir Ducks-a-Lot has just added more lighting, 3 million candle power total, and I know he's not done.

So Ducky, I would push the other side of the coin here and say that you should really consider an alternator. Soon.

A few of us here (me too!) have had great luck with Mr. Alternator (http://mralternator.com), and you can get them powder coated in fashion colors! They go in pretty easy, (a straight drop-in), but I'd be happy to help out if you need it.

If you do this, then also think about upgrading the wire gauge from the alternator to the battery.

About the compressor plumbing. If the tank has multiple outlets on it, then yes, you can run a second line out of it for the outlet. But... if the second outlet on the tank can be placed on a "bottom" in a mounting location, then it may make more sense to use that outlet as a water trap. Short of running a water trap in the line coming right out of the compressor, you'll get water in the system.

Also, what do you expect out of the bleeder and safety valve? How much pressore are you looking at running? Did you get a pressure switch as well? Static or adjustible? What's the tank rated at?

Questions, questions, questions!

Congrats on the new toys!
Old 11-23-2003, 10:13 PM
Contributing Member

(Rob won't always be there... )
I won't?
Old 11-23-2003, 10:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by WATRD
I won't?
Ya' know... You might actually enjoy the mine wanderings (Carbon River area)! You missed our two runs up there, but I'm sure that once the weather turns good again, we'll go back up!
Old 11-23-2003, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

Wait for the weather to improve!?!?

*Horrified* This IS Washington you know... if we waited for the weather to improve, our season would only be a month long

hehehhehe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ducky's Update...