Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Dual Dome Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Dual Dome Lights

Some may know that I recently installed a DVD overhead player in my 4runner for trips with my boys to California. During the installation of the player it has the ability to use the dome light connections for the built in dome lights. but we all know that Toyota has a slightly different way of making their dome light operate when the doors open. As such, I could never get my dome light to operate on the DVD player like the OEM dome light. So I decided to remedy that situtation. I decided to install another dome light, but with a twist. I decided to install dual dome lights so each passenger would have their own light if they needed one to read or what ever.

I am using two OEM dome lights and also the OEM roof support. Each light can operate independent of the other, if both are set to "DOOR" they both come on when any door is opened, or they can be set to one off and the other DOOR or either may be turned on seperately.

I have not finished the project yet, but once finished, I will post a write up to show you how it was done. It is not too difficult to install another roof support and adding the dome assemblies. The real problem is going to be in locating the new mountings for the cut outs in the head liner, more to come!

Comments are always welcome!

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 04-19-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool idea. Looking forward to more pics!
Old 04-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

Very interesting ritzy... but you need to loose those yellow lamps and step up to some nice bright low amp draw white LEDs... just sayin' LOL...

It looks like those lamps are going to be right over the user's heads you may want to test for shadows before you cut up the headliner... it may make more sense to move them slightly more inboard or outboard as your taste dictates...
also paint that black plastic support silver behind the lights and the reflectivity will increase boosting the available lumens...

don't forget to include all the how to and wiring mods...

Last edited by aviator; 04-12-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:40 PM

All very interesting things to consider. I am pretty much locked into postions as I do not have very many options on how far forward I place the lights. I was concerned about the placement as I did not want them too far apart nor too close as that would defeat the whole idea, giving each passenger their own light. As for the LED's I have already planned on doing that but am waiting until they are installed. I installed a small dome light array in the lift gate dome light and I really do like the light output so that is on the list.

Not quite sure I understand your talking about painting the roof support. If I install the LED light replacements they are on a rectangle shaped board that completely covers the open access area behind the bulb. With the LED replacement light units, they are the flat type so there would be no reflecting of any light against the roof support as the LEDs are flush mounted to the circuit board.

Still looking at some other options as well. Due to the issue of the DVD player dome light being a different type of wiring set up then the 4runner wiring I plan on running a seperate wire for power to the DVD dome light as well. Thanks and when I get the entire system set up I will have all the pics and wiring as I have tried to do in my other "Mods for Dummies" write ups! Thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 07:50 AM

so your running a flip down monitor dvd system?? i would love to see it installed. im considering that for my 2 lil boys in the back. with my headrests i cannot fit screens in them and i would love for it to flip when not in use. but when you have it down, does it make it a problem seeing in your rear when its down. thanks. get those pics up
Old 04-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

I thought you might use the drop in LED replacements not the flat board type.

The back of the dome light is open on both sides where the bulb installs and you can see the black plastic of the mounting panel. If you paint that silver you increase the reflectivity of it and get more of the available light out of it.

If you are going with the flat board type LED array than of course it is unneeded.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:30 AM

Location: Shelburne, VT previous: Everett, WA; Bellingham, WA
where are the dimmer switches!? jeez... i thought this was supposed to be a mod?

in all seriousness, when i saw the thread and who it was by, i was jealous... I nominate ritz for the "what's this guy going to come up with next" forum award!
Old 04-13-2010, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by hdoggie24
so your running a flip down monitor dvd system?? i would love to see it installed. im considering that for my 2 lil boys in the back. with my headrests i cannot fit screens in them and i would love for it to flip when not in use. but when you have it down, does it make it a problem seeing in your rear when its down. thanks. get those pics up
There are two ways you can go with a DVD system for the rear passengers, one is the head rest system and another is the flip down DVD system as well. Both systems are not cheap by any means. I got my DVD system from Circuit City when they closed their stores some time ago. The going price for these overhead systems runs upwards of $700 and then you still have to install it. They can be had cheaper as I did and I paid almost $300. The head rest systems normally come preinstalled in the head rests and all you have to do is get them installed electrically and then just install the head rests in the seats. Either way, you could end up spending around $1000 to do it right.

I started a write up on the install I did. It required my removal of the head liner as I am doing (again) with the dome light install, wiring in the system but in order to mount the player correctly I had to get another roof support out of another 4runner and then install it in the roof rails of the sunroof. Not very difficult once you get the head liner removed. Just pop rivets and the screws I removed from the support when I removed it from the donor truck. Good luck!
Originally Posted by Nuthuts96
where are the dimmer switches!? jeez... i thought this was supposed to be a mod?

in all seriousness, when i saw the thread and who it was by, i was jealous... I nominate ritz for the "what's this guy going to come up with next" forum award!
Thank you for your kind words, I enjoy trying to find different ways to make my truck "MINE" and then sharing those ideas with fellow Yota Techers

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 04-13-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Nuthuts96
Originally Posted by Ritzy4Runner
Thank you for your kind words, I enjoy trying to find different ways to make my truck "MINE" and then sharing those ideas with fellow Yota Techers
You know ritz now that he mentions it you could put a small dimmer pot at the top of the C-pillars but that would get too complex with the wiring... What about replacing the factory switch with an on-off-on micro toggle to control the door/dome function and a micro pot beside it for the dimmer function?...
You could even add a micro button for control and go for one of those multi-colour LED set-ups...but that would be way too
Old 04-18-2010, 09:31 PM

Finished the install of the new twin OEM dome lights in the back seat of my 4runner. Still have much to do to finish the install (all the trim pieces along with the DVD player). Will do a complete write up after aI finish it up some time this week. Both work independently of each other, can be OFF, ON or on DOOR. I will eventually get LED boards for them but for now, at least I know have nice lighting for the interior again!

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 04-19-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stunning! c'mon let's get a leather headliner in there while you are at it! I am just in awe-it is amazing what you are willing to take on and make it look so OEM at the same time.

I'd love to drop my truck off at your place for a couple of months and just have you go wild with it...
Old 04-19-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
stunning! c'mon let's get a leather headliner in there while you are at it! I am just in awe-it is amazing what you are willing to take on and make it look so OEM at the same time.

I'd love to drop my truck off at your place for a couple of months and just have you go wild with it...

Just as long as you drop off your check book with it! You just made my day! thanks Ron!
Old 04-19-2010, 08:21 PM

Here is the final pictures of the install. I was able to get the overhead DVD player installed and rewired the dome light in it to work independently of the OEM dome lights. If you look closely to the center front you can see the Pioneer 6 CD/DVD player which is feeding the overhead screen.

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 04-19-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:31 PM

i love the overhead monitor install. its exactly what im looking to do for my kids. are you doing a writeup for the dvd monitor install? that would be awesome. if so, can't wait. also, you have it playing through your dvd player/headunit? even better!!! dang
Old 04-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

The new domes look good Ritzy but can we see a night shot? I'm curious how they'd affect the amt. of light/reflections in the driver's area.

If it's an issue you might be able to reduce the effect by painting the round edges of the lens with some silver paint to reduce the "spread" effect of the lens.

Where does that screen sit when it is down with reference to your head postion? I mean is right there in the corner of your eye? or is it by your ear? etc.

Last edited by aviator; 04-20-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:55 PM

Night shot

Originally Posted by aviator
The new domes look good Ritzy but can we see a night shot? I'm curious how they'd affect the amt. of light/reflections in the driver's area.
Well here you go Aviator, as requested the 'night' shot

You can see the two new dome lights in the top of the picture and they are pretty well centered over the passsenger seats so they should not cause any shadow to the passenger. They are also back far enough so as not to project light into the front seats. they are roughly 16" farther back then the OEM dome light

Looking from the driver's side passenger seat location towards the front. Not too much light gets projected forward. I tried to take a picture to show the front seats but there wasn't enough light to see anything!

Originally Posted by aviator
Where does that screen sit when it is down with reference to your head postion? I mean is right there in the corner of your eye? or is it by your ear? etc.
As for the location of the DVD player it is not right in your immediate vision. You can't really see it in your preipheral either. It does block the rear view mirror when the screen is down. The front edge of the player as it is mounted in the overhead at the same location as the front edge of the single OEM dome light location to give you a reference point. I'll try to get a better side picture of the screen dwon during daylight. Working on the complete write up on the lights and the one on the DVD player install. Cheers!

Last edited by Ritzy4Runner; 02-24-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

I see... looks good ritz very limo style... now all you need worry about is the kids saying to you in a snooty voice "Home father" when you pick them up.
And there are other benefits as well... when you drive them on their first dates (when the time comes) you can say, "The lights stay on." That way no monkey business will happen behind your back.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:51 AM

great write up! looks like a prodject for the future for me!