Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

DS and PS CV axles done ! Thanks all !

Old 10-14-2005, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DS and PS CV axles done ! Thanks all !

Wow,

Once you know how it really is a breeze. The trick of disconnecting shock and sway bar link and jacking the lower control arm at the lower ball joint rocks

I did the driver side in well under an hour including messing with a very reluctant sway bar end link.

I found the DS easier...go figure. I did not even remove any studs from the flange at the diff end this time.

I have added my newly rebuilt and painted Aisin hubs and I am just waiting on a new spring clip for the PS axle ...I did not loose it, it just stretched some and is now too big.

Thanks to all for the tips.... its funny, when you can't see how its done, it looks impossible, once the first one comes out, you wonder what all the fuss was

Will take pics this weekend but in the 2 weeks or so I have had the truck,
I have installed :

* 2 new complete CV axles
* Aisin hubs
* Toyota spark plug wires, dist cap and rotor
* Plugs
* K&N FIPK (deal on eBay)
* Factory rear air deflector (mine was the only truck I had ever seen without one)
* Yakima tracks (as above, no roofrack rails from factory)
* Slyvannia Silverstar Headlamp bulbs
* Clear bumper turn signal lenses

I have on order

* OME springs, shocks and steering damper
* Addco front anti sway
* Wheelskins wheel cover (stock wheel is sticky after 170k...yuck !)

And I need to order

* Sway bar discos.
* Light bar of some description (I have two Landmaster 190 monster lamps with dual bulbs , fog and driving lamps to mount)

So far, not including the stuff on order, I have a hair over $3500 in it including ALL of the toys listed above. Previous owner was kind enough to put a genuine Toyota clutch in for me but I did have to beat him down on price due to the CV axles ...which got fixed for $140 total with lifetime warranty parts form Autozone.

I am itching to get this puppy out on the road.... since I put in the new plugs with a 31 thou gap vs the old ones 90 plus thou, it runs a lot better..... pulls to 5k in 3rd. I am also keen to see what difference the Aisin hubs make.... those old CVs were starting to get clanky as I think the boots have een shot a while judging by the 5 lbs of grease on the frame and none inside the boots

David

Last edited by nrgetic99; 10-14-2005 at 04:36 AM.