Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Drivetrain "Shifting"

Old 09-01-2004, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivetrain "Shifting"

Ok I know this is going to be hard to explain, and even harder to understand over a forum, but i'm going to attempt to explian my trucks problem. When I come to a complete stop, after I have stopped, something in the drivetrain underneath "shifts, or moves" It could be the tranny, or CV, or something, i'm really not sure. You can also see the gear selector move when it does this. I took it to a Toyota dealer, the tech felt it and tried to fix it, but it still does it. I know its hard to explain, but if anybody else has had this problem I am sure they know exactly what im talking about. Any Ideas?

Last edited by M3Man02; 09-01-2004 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

Lubricate The Slip Yoke At The Rear Driveshaft And That Should Correct Your Problem
Old 09-01-2004, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by terryjmatthew
Lubricate The Slip Yoke At The Rear Driveshaft And That Should Correct Your Problem
Sorry for a newbie question, but what is a Slip Yoke?
Old 09-01-2004, 10:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome, nooooob!

Make sure you check out the "Tech" section. There are a bunch of writeups in there, one of which deals exactly with this subject:

http://www.4runners.org/articles/zerk

(written by yours truly)

Also, use the "search" feature before the membership here cracks down on you You could have easily answered your own question.

Bob
Old 09-01-2004, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Guys, he may be talking about "axle wrap" which happens on Tacoma's as the rear axle settles back into place as you come to a stop.

My 98 used to have a slight "push" forward then a distant clunk when I came to a stop - but only under the right conditions.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

I don't have a complete drivetrain shift, but I do get a lot of feedback from the shifter (not necessarily just when stopping) when going over bumps or accelerating, I think part of that may be due to the body lift. The only thing that happens when I come to a stop and take it out of gear is a loud clicking coming from the bottom of the vehicle. Thats really all I can say about it...good luck fixing it man.

Fink
Old 09-01-2004, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

At The Rear Of The Driveshaft There Is A Zerk (grease) Fitting. Use A Grease Gun To Fill It Until You Grease Runs Out On The Shiny Part Of The Shaft. If You Are Doing It On A Rack, The Shaft Will Lengthen Slightly As Grease Is Forced Into The Cavity.
Hope This Helps

-matthew
Old 09-01-2004, 01:05 PM

Thanks guys, I will have to lube it, if that doesn't work I will have to look more into axle wrap.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you concidered he could have bad engine mounts or a transmission mount?
Old 09-01-2004, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

i think mine does the same thing....i come to a complete stop sometimes and hold the brake...if i let off the brake if feels like someone just kicked my rear bumper toward me as hard as they could (which isnt really hard, not like someone rear ending me)....I've been too lazy to take it to get looked at though....
Old 09-01-2004, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CynicX
i think mine does the same thing....i come to a complete stop sometimes and hold the brake...if i let off the brake if feels like someone just kicked my rear bumper toward me as hard as they could (which isnt really hard, not like someone rear ending me)....I've been too lazy to take it to get looked at though....
That's axle wrap.
I'm not sure if that's what M3M is experiencing... doesn't sound like it from the description though.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Josh... could it be one of those transition to a truck things? Have you ever driven a truck before? I hadn't before I got my Tacoma and was a little alarmed to see my gear shifter move with the frame of the vehicle and not the body... i.e. if I'm on a bumpy portion of freeway the gear shifter trembles much more than the rest of the body around it.

I dunno... that's just something that triggered in my memory reading your description of the gear selector moving.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:24 PM

I used to have an S10, but it was a manual, so i'm used to some truck stuff, but not like this. And the thing cynicx is talking about I have that too, but this is something different. Mine happens immediately after I stop. Like i apply the brake, slow down, stop, then it just shifts or moves, well something underneath does. I'm going to go crawl around under my truck now and check all the mounting bolts and stuff. If axle wrap happens when you let off the brake, I know exactly what that is, and this feels the same as that, but happens right after I stop, and its a bit more severe than when I let off the brake. When I took it to the Toyota dealer they replaced some Bearing something, actually now that they replaced the bearing assembly its harder to get it to do it, but it definately still happens. I'm at a loss, The only thing I can think of is something is loose or maybe I need to grease it........
Old 09-01-2004, 06:04 PM

Ok I just got back, everything seemed ok, EXCEPT, the transfer case, at least I think its what its called. Its the huge thing under that truck that has the front and rear driveshafts coming out of it. Well anyway, there is a frame crossmember right underneath it and it has a mount on it that connects the crossmember to the transfer case. It is kindof a wierd mount, but there are two plates with two rubber bushings between them and one huge bolt, with a huge washer connected to the bolt that holds it all together. Well that bold there is like an 1/8" gap between the bolt and the top metal plate. That is the only thing that didn't look tight to me. Is this normal. I wish I had a camera, but I don't. maybe someone will understand from my description.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Maybe someone with a 4WD Tacoma can take pics and you can see if yours is normal by that comparison?

Sorry can't help
Old 09-01-2004, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

The two rubber bushings are the main componet of the tranny mount. The big bolt is a saftey issue so if the rubber completly seperates the bolt will still hold it together. Try lubing the driveshaft first.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:47 PM

When you say lube the drive shaft, what exactly do you mean. When I was under my truck there were like 5,000 U joints. lol well maybe like 5 or so, so I lube all of them? Also there are several zirts on each one, do you grease all those too?
Old 09-05-2004, 11:16 AM

Well I just wanted to say that I finally got time today to lube my driveshaft. And you Guys are AMAZING!!! You guys fixed my problem over a forum, of which a Toyota Technician couldn't do who actually had my truck to work with. I think it was the back slip yolk that was the problem. I had to pump 31 pumps of grease into it, before it started coming out!! the U joints seemed ok 1 pump made grease squirt out, and the front slip yolk took like 20 or so pumps. Well anyway I just wanted to say thank you so much you guys did great, my truck no longer has any drivetrain shifting problems. Oh and one more thing. The Tacoma has 3 zirts in the front, and 6 in the back as opposed to the 4 runners 5 in the back.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:18 PM

Ive been experiancing the same sensation with my 2000 4Runner and have been dreading taking it to the stealership to have them charge me $125 for "diagnostics" and have them tell me there is nothing wrong! Im going to lube my driveshaft a.s.a.p. Question, what kind of lube do I buy? This is one area that Im not familiar with.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Fun4Run
Ive been experiancing the same sensation with my 2000 4Runner and have been dreading taking it to the stealership to have them charge me $125 for "diagnostics" and have them tell me there is nothing wrong! Im going to lube my driveshaft a.s.a.p. Question, what kind of lube do I buy? This is one area that Im not familiar with.
just an automotive grease.....goto the your auto zone napa or whatever and see what they have.....i imagine this day in age some will even say "designed for driveshafts"....lol....or "truck formula"...hahah I used to use the red stuff and it worked great, then I used to black stuff and it worked just as well....