Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

downey offroad times/torsion bar install

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 12:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
downey offroad times/torsion bar install

Hey guys long time no post. I was going to order from Downey Off road but wasnt sure what time they opened. I cant find it anywhere(ok no more dumb questions). I know this has been talked about before on this site...and I found a nice thread about removing the torsion bars but I couldnt really find anywhere that said how long it took or what level of difficulty it was. By reading the threads it seemed kind of hard to remove them but from what I gathered I dont need to much mechanical experience. If anything do the bars come with instructions. lol. That will be excellent, and then of course I have good ol' Yotatech to answer all my questions. Thats all for now but I might have more later. till then, thanks
Old 05-10-2004, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It can be a PITA to remove and install them. For me, the clearences with heat shields and other odd plumbing were very frustrating. It is very basic, if you can turn a wrench, use a jack, and a measuring tape, you will be fine. It can be a bit of a puzzle in how to manuver the bars around all the junk enderneath the car. I have my Downey bars cranked now, then ride is quite stiff, but the car handles way better on and off road for me now.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got the Downey's and like em. They do ride stiff like he said but I like it better that stock. They're pretty easy to remove and install, at least they were in my truck. If get into a lot of mud, have a lot of rust or have a the luck of a lot of seized up broken bolts you need to go ahead and go to the dealership for new ones. When I replaced mine when I did my lift, the bolts just twisted and snapped in half. I yours are like that, make sure not to have your head under the truck when your cranking the wrench. well, enough of the scary ˟˟˟˟˟.

Once you get the the adjusting nut and bolt taken care of and out, move the dust covers on both ends of the bar back a little bit. Pull the rear part of the assembly out and then the bar should just slide out with a little fennagling. Make sure there is plenty of grease in the holding ends when you put it back together. Transfer your dust covers over. The bars should be marked left and right. On each end of the bar there is one crown on the teeth of the bars for alignment that fits into one spot in the holder. This is the only bad part about installing them. On mine there were paint marks on the bars and holder where these alignment marks are, this helps a little bit. Just be patient and they'll get there. Slide the front in and then put the end cap on and bolt em in, use plenty of anti-sieze on the threads. A rule of thumb for measurement is to count the number of exposed threads on the end of the bolts and match the sides up.

Last edited by motrhedx81; 05-10-2004 at 07:00 AM.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
excellent two posts, thanks. Anybody else?