Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Downey Adjustables?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 06:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downey Adjustables?

Ok, I was looking around pat's website and was reading the page about his lifts and he mentions a downey 0-4 inch adjustable front shock. He said it was for tacos but it fits the 4R. Has anyone tried these? Ive just read that when the SAWs are at full extension they don't preform as well and maybe having that extra inch available would keep the shock working properly? Also, how are they compared in price? I know we can get the SAWs pretty cheap these days thaks to Mike. Do you carry downey too mike, can't remember. Anyway I am having huge sag issues with the TJM and no shim on the EMUs. I went from butt sag to nose dive :pat:

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2003, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Downey Adjustables?

Originally posted by turboale
Ok, I was looking around pat's website and was reading the page about his lifts and he mentions a downey 0-4 inch adjustable front shock. He said it was for tacos but it fits the 4R. Has anyone tried these? Ive just read that when the SAWs are at full extension they don't preform as well and maybe having that extra inch available would keep the shock working properly? Also, how are they compared in price? I know we can get the SAWs pretty cheap these days thaks to Mike. Do you carry downey too mike, can't remember. Anyway I am having huge sag issues with the TJM and no shim on the EMUs. I went from butt sag to nose dive :pat:

Thanks!
I think the downey's come in two flavors: 1 for heavy duty and one for crappy duty. I would go ahead and get the good heavy duty ones if you have the money. I can't recall the price as it was a while ago I saw anything about them. they aren't very popular though. I think performance {overpriced} products carries them.
Old 07-22-2003, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

Damn... if [I]you think they are alot, then damn... they really must be alot . And no... i'm a college student, so I don't have the money Looks like I'll be going with the SAWs I'm assuming they are in the 1k range...?
Old 07-22-2003, 08:41 PM

SAW's are like 650 or so from Mike (Xtreme). The Downeys are 800 if I recall correctly. They aren't very popular because the SAW's are cheaper and have a threaded shock body. The Downeys use a threaded sleeve that fits over a Bilstein shock. The potential downside to this is that it heats up the shock, causing it to fade. I don't think this is really a problem though unless you're doing some serious baja racing. I think the main point is nobody jumped on the Downey coilover bandwagon early on, and SAW's are cheaper. I think PoBoy has them, and 44Runner too before he went to the dark side.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:00 AM
Contributing Member

When I was thinking about my SAW's, I asked Mike (xtremeoff-road) about them and was told they cost more and from the few people that had them they did not like them very much. I asked a few people who had them and they agree. They like my SAW's better.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by rixham
When I was thinking about my SAW's, I asked Mike (xtremeoff-road) about them and was told they cost more and from the few people that had them they did not like them very much. I asked a few people who had them and they agree. They like my SAW's better.
I would agree, I like my SAWs and I would think they are alot better than the Downeys.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:26 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I guess its official... SAWs are better, so when are they gonna make a 0-4" adjustable?? Prolly never since their 0-3" is so popular...
Old 07-23-2003, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Downeys

Though I would chime in here. I have benn running the Downey's for about 4 years with the Bilsteins, not the three way adj. setting ones(there is/was a choice). My only complaint is that the springs has gone through periods of sagging. It hasn't been consistant or correlated to wheeling but just seems to have a mind of it's own.....wierd. I v'e heard people with SAW's have had coil sag problems too. I'm currently investigating a few options to replace the coils.
Anyway the shock is still strong and hasn't faded on me. I've been happy with them overall.

Last edited by elnip; 07-23-2003 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by snoozer
SAW's are like 650 or so from Mike (Xtreme). The Downeys are 800 if I recall correctly. They aren't very popular because the SAW's are cheaper and have a threaded shock body. The Downeys use a threaded sleeve that fits over a Bilstein shock. The potential downside to this is that it heats up the shock, causing it to fade. I don't think this is really a problem though unless you're doing some serious baja racing. I think the main point is nobody jumped on the Downey coilover bandwagon early on, and SAW's are cheaper. I think PoBoy has them, and 44Runner too before he went to the dark side.
mine have 25k on them and they worked great for me. The adjustability was great when I added the ARB. Other than dirt and some trail rash they were as good the day I took them off as the day they went on. If I was buying new again, I would go with the SAWs of course, but when I bought my downey stuff I wasn't even aware there was any other options. I still have the downey's for sale if anyone is interested, 200 OBO.

With a bullbar and winch, do the SAWs have problems keeping the front level with the rear? I know with just the bullbar, my downey's had lots more adjustment left...
Old 07-23-2003, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 44Runner
I still have the downey's for sale if anyone is interested, 200 OBO.
This is a really good deal. Someone should jump on it.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:45 AM

Originally posted by sschaefer3
Yeah man. I just want the little bastards out of my garage!

This is the same price I have had from the start. I can't believe no one has jump on them yet...
Old 07-23-2003, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by sschaefer3
OK I'm jumping on it-

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 07-23-2003, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can you send me some pics of them?

seacap@qwest.net
Old 07-23-2003, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

If no one takes them, I'll give you $150 and just keep them as spares. To put on when the SAW's go in for a tune up.

The rubber bushings at the bottom of the shocks still looks good? Not all cracked to heck? Still got the spanner wrench?

If so they are good to go.
Old 07-23-2003, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

Why don't you put them on eBay?
Old 07-23-2003, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

This is my thread!! They should be mine!!!

actually, i shoudl get them b/c i'm a poor college student with a sagging nose that needs to be fixed before I need new tires. and Keisur already has adjustables... right keisur???

Last edited by turboale; 07-23-2003 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:13 PM

I just put aTJM on and have front sag so i am VERY intersted.

If you still ahve them, please PM me ASAP.

Thx,

matt
Old 07-23-2003, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

Something to think about with the Downeys...They are not rebuildable...Cost wise, they are $699.00

Mike
Old 07-23-2003, 06:53 PM

hey austin.

bummer you can't come up to maine this summer and do some wheelin up here.

anyways... i like my saws a lot, they were about 900$ installed, or something like that.

seems like the saws are a better deal, and you can rebuild them.

oh btw, anybody know how often they need to be recharged? and im guessing that i can't do that myself, so where do i need to take them?

thanks a lot

good luck austin, try not to sink the runner anytime soon.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by XtremeOff-Road
Something to think about with the Downeys...They are not rebuildable...Cost wise, they are $699.00

Mike
Ah but they are, just buy a brand new off the shelf front Bilstein shock.

Re-Built.

Quick Reply: Downey Adjustables?