95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Downey 2" Lift from Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 02:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downey 2" Lift from Toyota

Hi all,

I'm a n00b here and to offroading in general.

I own a 2001 Tacoma 4x4 TRD. The only thing I've done wo this truck in the past few years is tint the windows. I'd like to get started on doing some minor modifications, for moderate offroad use, to it as this is my get-around ride as well.

To the point. I was at Toyota Carlsbad a couple weeks ago getting my usual service done and in the parts department I noticed something new. They're selling a 2" front-end lift made by Downey using coil over and Bilsteing shocks. It ran about $700 and is warrantied and installed there, sort of like the TRD stuff I imagine. I was skeptical and still am but I'm thinking about it.

Questions: Is 2" going to be of any use for moderate offroad use? I'm guessing it will level it out or give it a slight lift to the front above the rear, sort of a prerunner look. They said it's adjustable up to 4" but don't advise it be set up over 2" due to joint stresses which makes sense to me.

Will it be a stiffer ride than the TRD Bilstein setup that's already on the front? I noticed that the coil overs they have for sale cover the whole shock whereas the ones that are on mine are only covering half the shock, this is where the n00bie comes in. I'm guessing it would be stiffer ride.

The next step asfter some sort of moderate life on the dront would be to get new wheels and tires since my original tires are about shot. Does this front end lift allow me to increaese the height of a new tire/wheel combo any or shuld I stay witht he same tire height? I would like to at least get a wider tire on it.

Thanks for any help you may provide!
Old 10-21-2003, 06:35 AM

downey are decent coil-overs. you should leave it at 2" to help with your CV angles and save your ball-joints - especially since you have ADD. with 2" of lift, you'll level your taco out or just put it a little nose high like the prerunner look. hmmm... you can clear 32" or equivalent tire easily.

honestly, i would rather spend the money on a set of swayaway (SAW) coil-overs. i think they are better than the downey setup.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by beachtaco
downey are decent coil-overs. you should leave it at 2" to help with your CV angles and save your ball-joints - especially since you have ADD.
What do you mean by ADD?

honestly, i would rather spend the money on a set of swayaway (SAW) coil-overs. i think they are better than the downey setup.
Can you school me on the advatages of this over the simple 2" front-end lift?

Someone recommended to me this stuff: http://www.camburg.com/tacomaP.html

I have no clue though if it's worth it or not for some moderate offroad use.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:12 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For MODERATE offroad use, get a set of 2" cornfed spacers for the front and an add-a-leaf or a set of blocks for the rear. You'd spend about $200 + shipping and labor and you could still clear the larger tires.

Here's a link for ya...

And another...

And a USED set of Downey's

Used SAWs

If you want to spend a bunch of money and want a LITTLE better ride, then go for the downeys or SAWS... If you are only goign to off-road a little, then do the lift and tires for the same money as JUST the SAWS.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by bamachem
If you want to spend a bunch of money and want a LITTLE better ride, then go for the downeys or SAWS... If you are only goign to off-road a little, then do the lift and tires for the same money as JUST the SAWS.
Thanks for all the links and possibilities. As I said I'm still learning all this and I have to say this is the BEST forum I've been to. Everyone is polite and helpful.

However your answers beget more questions!

Which is the overall better quality/reliability choice? The ez lift type setup, spacers/leafs/blocks. Or the coilovers? I'm still not clear on what a sway away is.

It seems to me you're saying the EZ lift is not the best choice for moderate off-road use, I would like to join a club here in San Diego and go do some trail riding.

The link you sent me for the Dowey front end lift is EXACTLY what the Toyota dealership is selling. I did find out what ADD meant on that ez lift link so I guess "shame on me" for letting Toyota sell me a ADD front end.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Darx; 10-21-2003 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:34 AM
Banned

If youa re going to do any extreme stuff or if you want the BEST possible ride, then go with the Sway A Ways and only them.

If you are going to do moderate to light off-roading and you would like about the same feel on the road, then go with a spacer kit and save some serious $$$.

If you can find a used set of downeys or SAWs like the one's I linked and you can get them for a decent price AND you have the extra money laying around, then get them.

If you get spacers and 75K miles down the road you need new shocks, then you can get whatever you want (tokico or bilstein). If you have the downeys, then you will need to get the matching bilsteins. If you get the SAWs, then you will either have to rebuild them yourself or pay someon to do it for you and it's not all that easy of a job from what I hear.

Personally, I'm going with a spacer set for now, then later I'll probally change out the springs to a 2" OME (Old Man Emu) lift with OME shocks for better ride and performance. I doubt I'll ever have SAWs unless a pair happen to fall into my lap (and i survive!).

Best of Luck.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks bamachem.

I'm sorry to keep squeezing you for information but can you tell me the difference between what a sway away shock is and a standard shock? Is that just a brand name or some sort of technology? I'm guessing it's a type of shock technology...

I'll have to have someone install it for me as I don't have the right stuff or experience to do it. I was recommended to check out Camburg up the road a ways from me in Huntington Beach but I've no clue what to expect our of their setup.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:09 PM
Banned

Sway A way's are a brand name like fabtech and downey. They are made by racerunner.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by bamachem
Sway A way's are a brand name like fabtech and downey. They are made by racerunner.
Actually the company is Sway-A-Way and they make a RaceRunner coil-over for the Tacoma/Tundra/4Runner.

Old 10-21-2003, 12:33 PM
Banned

:pat:

yeah, you know what i meant...

is it 5 o'clock yet?

Old 10-21-2003, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Darx:

Welcome aboard there!

Take a look at this site. Steve has a wonderful website on detailed information on what he recommends for suspension upgrades.
Take a look at his site and you'll get a better idea!

http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/recommend.html

Steve knows alot here and his site is definitely informative! Take a look through some of the stuff he's encountered/done/experienced as I know we all can learn alot from him.

If you're interested in meeting some of us (including Steve as he will be there too), is this event this weekend in San Diego.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=17479

Check out that thread and it'll give you all the info you need. There are a few members that will go that are stock 4x4 so if you're new into the sport, feel free to drop by as all levels are welcomed! If you don't want to drive, then you can just show up and ride with one of us

Lance
Old 10-21-2003, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Good Times
Take a look at this site. Steve has a wonderful website on detailed information on what he recommends for suspension upgrades.
Take a look at his site and you'll get a better idea!

http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/recommend.html
Thanks for the URL. I'll read it. I'm trying to get it all figured out but it's a pretty overwhelming hobby to get started on! I've always wanted to get into offroading a little more seriously but money is always an issue. Now that I have a few bucks to spend I thought a suspension lift would be a decent place to start and then get new wheels and tires, since the stock ones are near done.

If you're interested in meeting some of us (including Steve as he will be there too), is this event this weekend in San Diego.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...threadid=17479

Check out that thread and it'll give you all the info you need. There are a few members that will go that are stock 4x4 so if you're new into the sport, feel free to drop by as all levels are welcomed! If you don't want to drive, then you can just show up and ride with one of us
Thanks for the invite! I'm not sure that's going to be doable on short notice for me however. I'll keep an eye out on that forum for other rides in my area at a later date you guys are at though.

Did I mention that these forums kicks butt?!

=============
edit:
=============

I'm going to assume Steve's suggestions also work for Tacomas? I havea 2001 Tacoma 4x4.

Last edited by Darx; 10-21-2003 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2003, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

While I'm at it, you should also check out www.tacomaterritory.com.

They're a bunch of tacoma members nationwide that help eachother out as well. I'm sure they will be able to help ya out too Figure more sources the better for you.

Yes, the tacoma/4runner are the same. The only thing is that the rear setup is different (you have leaf and 4runners have the shock/coil).

The San Diego members here usually go on runs once a month. I try to drive down to visit them and ride with them as much as I can so keep an eye out on the thread in the offroad trip section.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Alright. so let's suppose I buy a set of sway-a-ways for the front adding 2". Does anything need to be done to the rear to balance out the ride? Will Bilstein's in the back be too different a response from the front and make it a funky ride?

I know if I go with the Bilstein/Downey setup Toyota is offering I guess I just keep the rear TRD Bilstein's that are on there...I think.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

A very common setup for your rig is the following

Sway-A-Way Fronts
Bilstein 5100 Series 8.5" Travel
Rear Downey AAL 2.5"

Pretty cost effective and gets the job done...

There are a ton of other setups to use if you wish.

Regards,

Mike
Old 10-21-2003, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have just asked in the beginning for some common setups to see what's going on out there on the Tacos.

So by adding 2.5" to the rear will that set the truck at a slant to the front? If I only add 2" to the front via sway-a-way or downey it would seem to. I'd like to keep it levelled out if possible.

Thanks again for the setup!
Old 10-21-2003, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

Well, it seems that you've got all the right people giving you advice here, I just wanted to welcome you to the board, and is that Carlsbad NM?
Old 10-21-2003, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Albuquerque Jim
Well, it seems that you've got all the right people giving you advice here, I just wanted to welcome you to the board, and is that Carlsbad NM?
Thanks Albuquerque Jim!

No, that's Carlsbad, CA which is just north of San Diego.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Darx
Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have just asked in the beginning for some common setups to see what's going on out there on the Tacos.

So by adding 2.5" to the rear will that set the truck at a slant to the front? If I only add 2" to the front via sway-a-way or downey it would seem to. I'd like to keep it levelled out if possible.

Thanks again for the setup!
Your stock springs will have sagged, you can adjust the SAWS to accomodate your rear lift...You will be fine if you end up lifting your front end up to 2.5"

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions!

Mike
Old 10-23-2003, 09:02 PM
Contributing Member

So I'm going take Friday and go have a look around at a the local 4wheelparts and Offroad Warehouse.

I think that the first time around for a lift I'm going to have to have it installed professionally, ie. not me. It sounds like the SAWS are awesome and seem to be a standard choice on the board.

At this point though I'm thinking more than 2". I'm pretty sure this will require more than your standard shock replacement and more of a whole lift kit. I'd like to crank it up about 3" all around and make sure the truck rides even. Am I getting in way too deep on the pocket book, as well as over my head, for something like this? It sounds like I would need a few extra things to make it work on my truck such as a differential drop which might be part of a kit.

I'm still in the dark but with the schooling I've gotten here I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel. I know there are cheaper ways to do things but what I'm looking for is a solution that will get me installed and on the dirt without me having screwed something up. I just see myself surrounded by coyotes with a broken lift or something out in the middle of the desert trying to use my cell phone!

Most of the people here are do-it-yourself'ers which is awesome but I think the first time around I want it done for me. My truck is still under warranty for another 35k, I got the extra care which has come in handy, so hopefully whatever work is done wont bust my warranty. This is why I was asking about that Downey set up but 2" doesn't seem like it's really what I'm after. Could be wrong though since I'm a n00b.

I just don't want some salesman at one of these places trying to railroad me into some setup that I regret down the road.