Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Don't use water-pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 08:07 PM
Ava

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't use water-pump

See what happens if you use pure water in your rig and also what happens when you forget to fasten the bolts. I could almost twist them loose with my fingers.

My rig stems from '93 and probably was cooled most of that period with water. Believe it or not, until the headgasket developed a leak the engine held its water for quite a reasonable time; it wasn't pooring from the seams as you might expect. After dismounting the pump body disintegrated when someone touched it not really all that hard.

Ava.
Attached Thumbnails Don't use water-pump-do-not-use-water-pump.jpg  
Old 08-17-2003, 08:33 PM

Actually..... as long as you use clean water, you will have no problems. Distilled water with a little bit of Water Wetter will give you better cooling than a 50/50 mix of water/coolant. Coolant really is more of an anti-freeze than a coolant. If you look at race cars, they use straight water. Water is still one of the best liquid heat transfers. The person that put the water in yours must have used some water that was high in minerals. That would definately kill a water pump.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:23 AM

Hey Ava,
You have a nice looking avatar. Where did you get that bullbar/ brush guard you have? That skidplate is cool, where did you get that? With that kind of skidplate, maybe I can take the original skidplate and install a transmission cooler behind that skidplate. You have an awesome looking front bumper/brush guard combo.

Noel
Old 08-18-2003, 07:41 AM

Hey I know - if distilled water is good, then deionized water must be WAY better right? :pat:
Old 08-18-2003, 07:21 PM
Ava

Originally posted by 4x4CPOSEADOG
Hey Ava,
You have a nice looking avatar. Where did you get that bullbar/ brush guard you have? That skidplate is cool, where did you get that? With that kind of skidplate, maybe I can take the original skidplate and install a transmission cooler behind that skidplate. You have an awesome looking front bumper/brush guard combo.

Noel
The car was imported as is by the previous previous owner here from Japan. That's all I know, ask there. ;o)

Ava(tar)
Old 08-18-2003, 07:39 PM
Ava

Originally posted by OneTrickToy
Actually..... as long as you use clean water, you will have no problems. Distilled water with a little bit of Water Wetter will give you better cooling than a 50/50 mix of water/coolant. Coolant really is more of an anti-freeze than a coolant. If you look at race cars, they use straight water. Water is still one of the best liquid heat transfers. The person that put the water in yours must have used some water that was high in minerals. That would definately kill a water pump.
That's what I always thought. My central heating system used pure water, was made of thin steel and never developed a leak. But if you see the damage the 'coolant' has done on this engine. Two heads needed welding in about 15 places, the aluminum adaptor between the camshafts, the pump, the intake manifold around the square water openings, on the trottle body one aluminum plug underneath was totally consumed, the steel tubing from the pump to the heater had the beginning of a hole, a water channel at de #6 cilinder needed welding (no meat to hold the gasket), some of the steel tubing has eroded quite a bit where rubber hoses have covered them.

I wonder if they used battery acid in this engine? Or is there a (inferior) type of coolant the does thise to metal?

Ava.
Old 08-24-2003, 02:35 PM
Ava

Originally posted by OneTrickToy
Forgot this, but straight water boils at a lower temperature than water/anti-freeze. This means that under heavy load the cooling fluid isn't squeezed out as easily as pure water would be.

Ava.
Old 08-24-2003, 04:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not so sure I'd trust pure water either because of the variety of metals used in Toy engines.

Iron + Water = Hydrogen gas + Iron Hydroxide (Rust)

Aluminum + Water + Heat = Hydrogen gas + Aluminum Hydroxide
Old 08-24-2003, 04:56 PM
Banned

I'm not sure if this is an issue where you live in South America, but if you keep pure water in there during the winter it will freeze and either pop the freeze plugs or crack the block since water expands when it freezes.

In addition to killing water pumps, normal tap water, river water, well water, etc. will leave all kinds of deposits in your radiator and heater core, (made of copper or brass on most cases) eventually cloging them and it will kill your whole cooling system.

Use 50% purified, distilled and/or de-ionized water and 50% anti-freeze. Water wetter is fine but by no means is it necessary.

Last edited by jx94148; 08-24-2003 at 04:59 PM.