Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Does this seem right...CV Axles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does this seem right...CV Axles?

Hey guys,

So last August/September I had my CV axles replaced. No big deal, I didn't want to screw with it and the rubber on the boots was starting to crack and get old. So the guys do it, no prob...drive it home and no worries. I started noticing a rattle up front whenever I hit bumps...and this is only on the drivers side not passenger. At the time, I think its something related to the bumper brackets and bumper somehow and at the time I had a welded on brushguard (long story), so I wasn't able to take the bumper off and fully inspect. I finally got around to cutting the brushguard off and checking the bumper and everything, after removing the bumpers, grill, skid plates and securing any other loose ends that might be causing this, the sound is still there.

I'm wondering if one of you could confirm my suspicions of it might being the cv axle? Granted, I've never actually replaced the axles myself I spent some time researching, trying to understand what goes into it. Maybe my mechanic forgot a snap-ring or something on the inside of the diff...? I just don't know and its driven me nuts now that the weather allows for my windows to be down. It sounds like a metal on metal rattle, and after going down and shaking the axle itself, it doesn't make any noise. However, it does seem to be slightly more loose than the passenger side.

Any ideas????

THanks!!!

Last edited by Skrillah; 03-20-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:56 AM

The first thing I would do is to take the wheel off and then take off the end cap (assuming you have auto hubs). This is very simple, just use a screwdriver and a hammer to easily pry it lose. My only guess would be that the nut wasn't tightened down enough and the lock ring is rattling around.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ultraman V
The first thing I would do is to take the wheel off and then take off the end cap (assuming you have auto hubs). This is very simple, just use a screwdriver and a hammer to easily pry it lose. My only guess would be that the nut wasn't tightened down enough and the lock ring is rattling around.

Thats what I thought too and I did check that, however, everything seemed to be in order there. I had more trouble getting that damn, crappy cotter pin out of hub assembly. Again though, everything was tight and looked good from what I could tell. I don't have a torque wrench but I did try and tighten it down again and it didn't budge so I assume its good enough...
Old 03-20-2008, 01:32 PM

Did you have new brake pads installed around that time?
Some people remove the caliper when doing axles, but you don't need to. I guess that would be the second place I'd look. Are the backing shims behind the pads? I left those out one time and it did the same thing you are describing. Very annoying.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Check the four bolts that connect the lower ball joint and the spindle. You need to look from the underside up.

Also check your steering rack play, it might have just started noticing it because there was work done... it might be fooling you. It is notorious for rattling over bumps.