Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Does better than OEM coolant exist?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does better than OEM coolant exist?

Ok! what is "better" coolant that is safe to the orings, seals, as well as blocks and aluminum radiator?

I have strictly run only genuine Toyota coolant carefully mixed with distilled water. (only one time the local mechanic pumped in green stuff but not so long after it was flushed...).

Recently, I opened the system for T-belt/Radiator/Waterpump service... What I found was very poor protection of coolant (in terms of rust proofing etc). The block (the waterpump area) surface was covered with light coat of rust and inside of radiator was covered with that reddish/pinkish residue... I had to run prestone radiator/block cleaner to treat the system, and finally done with pretty good result...

Now, I need to put the coolant, I am in between, should I pour in Genuine toyota again or should I look for better coolant if such option exist?

So, again, what is the best coolant that can provide the best protection to orings/gaskets and blocks and radiator etc? Is it still Genuine Toyota?

Thank you in advance.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the Toyota coolant has got the best reputation. Maybe try increasing your mixture from a 50/50 to a 60/40 of coolant/water to curb the oxidation?
Old 10-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you really want to stop rust/corrosion look into Evans waterless coolant. Its expensive though.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:31 AM

Evans coolant... hmmmm.... I checked their web.. and it sounds pretty interesting. The best part that I like is, they claimed that it is non-toxic being propylene glycol based fomula. (Isn't Toyota Genuine also propylene glycol type???)

What they posted....

NPG+ Coolant has been determined to be non-toxic in mammalian testing. Independent tests on laboratory rats exposed to Evans NPG+ Coolant showed no ill effects. The coolant is essentially non-toxic and non-hazardous in all EPA "GLP acute oral toxicity" tests because Evans has developed a proprietary formula based on a blending of chemicals called "DIOLS," including propylene glycol. An Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) ruling is being sought regarding an anticipated "safe" classification for the NPG+ Coolant.

Then, next question is,

where to buy?
and
how much expensive it is?

As long as it is NOT that much expensive, I may try considering it is life-time coolant... (does such thing really exisit?)
Old 10-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Earlier thread about it: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...oolant-114994/
Old 10-16-2009, 01:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mostly non-toxic

it has some toxocity. but a lot less dangerous than ethyl

Potential health effects

Eye
Causes mild eye irritation. Contact may cause irritation, tearing, and burning pain.
Skin
Causes moderate skin irritation. Contact with the skin may cause erythema, dryness, and defatting.
Ingestion
May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Low hazard for usual industrial handling. May cause hemoglobinuric nephrosis. May cause changes in surface EEG.
Inhalation
Low hazard for usual industrial handling. May cause respiratory tract irritation.
Chronic
May cause reproductive and fetal effects. Laboratory experiments have resulted in mutagenic effects. Exposure to large doses may cause central nervous system depression. Chronic ingestion may cause lactic acidosis and possible seizures.

The oral toxicity of propylene glycol is very low, and large quantities are required to incur the dangerous effects described above. The potential for long-term toxicity is also low. In one study, rats were provided with feed containing as much as 5% PG over a period of 104 weeks and they showed no apparent ill effects.[7] Because of its low chronic oral toxicity, propylene glycol is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) for use as a direct food additive. Cases of propylene glycol poisoning are related to either inappropriate intravenous use or accidental ingestion of large quantities by children.[8]

Serious toxicity will occur only at plasma concentrations over 4g/L, which requires extremely high intake over a relatively short period of time.[9] It would be nearly impossible to reach toxic levels by consuming foods or supplements, which contain at most 1g/kg of PG. Propylene glycol is metabolized into pyruvic acid, which is a normal part of the glucose metabolism process and is readily converted to energy.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my friend has an Audi that takes some pretty trick coolant. i think its purple. i don't know the specifics, but i'm sure you can investigate it. Audi has always specified not to use the green stuff because of corrosion issues.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jin_Chris
(Isn't Toyota Genuine also propylene glycol type???)
Nope. I actually contacted Toyota a month ago about using propylene glycol. I was very specific with my question and got the insulting "check the manual for each vehicle, for example, your 2008 4Runner says...." even after in my own question I said the manual says this...but I am still not sure if I can use propylene glycol. Toyota sucks.
My radiator split and didn't realized I was loosing coolant for at least a few days (smelled something funny, saw puddles, found the reservoir was empty). Quite luckily, I figured it out before my 3 dogs did. Why can't I live in a state that at least requires denatonium benzoate?

I also contacted Amsoil about whether or not their propylene coolant met Toyota's non-amine, non-this, non-that specs. Never got a response so I took that as a big fat no.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:27 PM

I used to work at caterpillar dealership, and the purple coolant we used seemed to hold up extremely well. I wonder if it would be safe / better to use.