Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Do these body mounts look right?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do these body mounts look right?

Had my 4Runner a while now, it always had this rattle in the rear which I though was normal because many others have had this problem...

Well, I was cleaning my 4Runner before our trip to Hollister, took the rear carpet off, found a few bullets, and found where the noise was coming from! it turns out to be coming from the rear passenger mount, they both seemed to be bent up and from the bottom (see pics below), it looks like the body lift has been shoved up into the body! I tightened the bolt and that took a little rattle away, but it after a minute of driving it was back again...

So... is it normal for the metal to bend up? Should there be a bushing between the mount and body?

Thanks!

Old 03-09-2004, 06:53 PM

Haha damn that looks familiar. Normal? No. Livable? Yes. One of the cons of haveing a bodylift. I had a slight "accident" while off roading one time, I hit a small dirt bike jump (didn't see it) which launched the front of my runner into the air, and it came down hard. I have a 2 inch body lift. The spacers were shoved hard into the body, and the body shifted about a quarter inch forward. If you look at the spacers vs. the OEM body mounts, you will see that the spacers are a bit skinnier, which led to them being shoved in there. No real harm done, but now my body mount bolts are at a slight angle and the mounts inside look just like yours. Nothing you can really do about it, the rattling part I can't help you with though.

Lesson learned: Do not go airborne with a body lift! (Even if unintentional )
Old 03-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Wild_Bill
Haha damn that looks familiar. Normal? No. Livable? Yes. One of the cons of haveing a bodylift. I had a slight "accident" while off roading one time, I hit a small dirt bike jump (didn't see it) which launched the front of my runner into the air, and it came down hard. I have a 2 inch body lift. The spacers were shoved hard into the body, and the body shifted about a quarter inch forward. If you look at the spacers vs. the OEM body mounts, you will see that the spacers are a bit skinnier, which led to them being shoved in there. No real harm done, but now my body mount bolts are at a slight angle and the mounts inside look just like yours. Nothing you can really do about it, the rattling part I can't help you with though.

First of all, thank you very much for replying!! All the mounts that I could see are like that... :cry: but just the rear passenger one has the noise... So theres nothing I can do? ..... Thanks though!
Old 03-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Would some heavy duty washers help? Anyone?
BUMP
Old 03-09-2004, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Wild_Bill

dang, maybe i shouldn't have done this then :pat:

luckily, no damage done tho. gotta love the roger brown body lifts.

good luck quieting up your runner, milton. you have a rad 1st gen, hate to see it plagued by one of those little annoying, unexpected problems

Last edited by calrockx; 03-09-2004 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:27 PM

GEEZE, your poor IFS!! It sounds like cabbage's problems were in the rear anyway, so maybe the mounts up front fit better with the spacers or are stronger or something.

All I know is that I would never do something even close to that with my 4runner, i'm too cheap to risk breaking something!!
Old 03-10-2004, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

Which is why I ordered the super spacers from RB. Their a little larger, so hopefully something like this won't happen.

As far as the rattle, I have an idea for you. Get some of that foam-in-can stuff, and spray it int there, the foam will go in as a liquid, and then expand and harden up inside, and so whatever is moving aroud inside there will be cushioned, dampening the sound a bit.

hope that helps
Old 03-10-2004, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sdastg1
Which is why I ordered the super spacers from RB. Their a little larger, so hopefully something like this won't happen.

As far as the rattle, I have an idea for you. Get some of that foam-in-can stuff, and spray it int there, the foam will go in as a liquid, and then expand and harden up inside, and so whatever is moving aroud inside there will be cushioned, dampening the sound a bit.

hope that helps
I really like this idea. After having my sliders packaged with foam in a can, I'm addicted to the uses this stuff has.
Old 03-10-2004, 06:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kford
GEEZE, your poor IFS!! It sounds like cabbage's problems were in the rear anyway, so maybe the mounts up front fit better with the spacers or are stronger or something.
Actually the last pic is the underside pic of one of the front mounts (above pass. door)

Originally Posted by sdastg1

hope that helps
Hmm super spacers... actually its a combination of all kinds of sounds, the sound from the mounts is more of a ... squeak? the rattling sounds more like its coming from the roll bar... So should I unbolt the bolts, then spray the foam-in-can stuff?

Thanks guys!!
Old 03-10-2004, 12:17 PM

oh ok. that's crazy that the mounts came up in all four corners of your rig!
Old 03-21-2004, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
That is the classic problem of running too small a body lift block as most companies supply. I use a larger diameter lift block in my kits, where appropriate, to match the size of the body mount bushing:

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/...andardUltimate

The body damage might be repaired by attaching metal plates underneath the floor where the small lift blocks have pushed up. Its likely the rattling is caused by the looseness created by the bent sheet metal, those mounts are no longer supporting the body and may be loose and rattling.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
The body damage might be repaired by attaching metal plates underneath the floor where the small lift blocks have pushed up. Its likely the rattling is caused by the looseness created by the bent sheet metal, those mounts are no longer supporting the body and may be loose and rattling.
Thanks Roger! I might get larger blocks from you after I figure how to weld the metal plates underneath the body (sounds like tacobell might get to practice his welding skills before he works on his sliders )

Thanks again!!
Old 03-21-2004, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Don't necessarily need to weld them in place, should be fine held in place with the lift block below and the body mount bolt. The tricky part will be to figure out how thick to make the plate to restore the original body mount height. Or, you could use something like a 1/4" plate and then measure for the height of a lift block needed to fill the remaining gap, I can make custom blocks to any height desired.