Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Do NOT Buy Toyota's All Season Rubber Mats

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do NOT Buy Toyota's All Season Rubber Mats

EDIT 12-14-08: I purchased a new set of liners. For photos, check pg 3 of this thread.

Like others, I assumed Toyota's All Season Rubberized Mats would last forever. Toyota does has the reputation for making quality vehicles, thus I assumed that quality trickled down to these mats. I guess that's what I get for assuming...

Long Rant:

After just 2 years of normal use, my driver's side mat has developed 2 very large tears that go all the way through the mat! I know this is not that big a deal to most, but these mats are too expensive to be deteriorating this quick (I've seen dealers sell these mats for $80 - $100+). I make it a habit to only purchase quality parts for my toyota, thus the reason why this pisses me off as it does:

Name:  CIMG1692.jpg
Views: 2839
Size:  93.0 KB
Name:  CIMG1685.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  73.2 KB
Name:  CIMG1693.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  98.7 KB
Name:  CIMG1687.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  95.8 KB

To confirm if this phenomenon has happened to more people than just me, I searched and found that it IS in fact a common problem. There were a few old posts I found where a few members stated the exact same problem (I'm now experiencing) happened to them. Granted, they did not dedicate an entire thread to it as I am now, but nonetheless, the info's out there. Here's a few quotes:

Originally Posted by Sparman
I've had the Toyota Mats for 2 years - same problem as mentioned earlier - splitting btwn the ribs.
Originally Posted by 4x4Yota
I had some in my Tacoma. They are made of thick rubber and the drivers side has a hole for the hook which is nice. The problem with mine is they ripped in between the ribs letting water seep through to the carpet. Not sure how long they lasted before that happened.
Originally Posted by humanoid
These mats suck.... I had some in my rig about a year ago and they started to rip only after a few months. I can't remember if it was here or on the TTORA board that others also had the same problem.

My passenger side mat and rear mats are still in okay shape. However, that's simply b/c they are not getting the use my driver side mat is. Now I average 20K miles a year...thus this driver side mat has only lasted me 2yrs! That may be good for some, but I'm going to start reseaching into some alternatives.

IMO, the 2 major alternatives available today are Husky and WeatherTech Liners. Of the reviews I've read on the net, half like the Husky's, the others prefer the WeatherTechs. Guess it just comes down to personal preference. I've seen Husky's first hand and while they do get the job done, I'm just not that overall impressed with how their overall design. Therefore, I'm leaning towards the WeatherTechs instead.

In any event, had I done my research before I purchased these oem mats, I would have never purchased them to begin with. Too bad Toyota did not design their mats to last like they designed their 3.4L engines!

Long Rant Over.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 05-02-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my Husky Liners. Full sets in both my Pick-Up and 4Runner for years.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:58 AM

Costco Floormats! ~$25
Old 10-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Husky liners rule! First mod in any new vehicle, period.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Toyvana
I've been wanting a set of these myself, was wondering about fit.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

I've had mine for 4 years and cleaned up they still look new and have zero cracks or tears but Huskys will be coming soon sine I need a bit better protection form snow and slush.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:39 AM

I like the Weathertechs. I got some just before last winter. They fit pretty well, but my favorite feature is that they hold any snow/salt/dirt/sand without it getting around to the carpeting. My old rubber mats were holding up just fine, but they tended shed crud onto the carpet. I super paranoid about salty water soaking into the carpet and getting into the floorboards from the inside. Weathertechs seemed to be a very good solution.

Mine aren't all that old, but they appear to be holding up just fine. It's very tough plastic, so not like a rubber compound. The fit is nearly perfect, but there is some minor warp near the door sill where the floor mat rises up slightly. I got over the warp pretty quick. Seems like the warp may have been a packaging issue and that it's getting a little better over time. Again, this is a minor OCD issue.

I'm probably going to buy a set for my wife's Subaru and I may get a set to fit for the back seats. I like Weathertechs.

MadCityRich
Old 10-17-2008, 10:39 AM

that's weird, especially for a Toyota product. My dad has had the Toyota rubber mats in his Land Cruiser for almost 9 years and they still look great. They look more like the ones posted by X-AWDriver than those posted by the OP. Maybe the quality has recently gone down.

Last edited by toyNG; 10-17-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

only you would do this bill. but i think its a good idea to have this posted and documented woohoo!
Old 10-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Toyvana
i agree, 4 years i have had mine and they have saved my rug countless times from oil to water to mud. they are starting to wear a bit where my right foot sits all the time.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

I dropped $25 at WallyWorld for a set of the all-weather heavy duties just about three years ago, and when I clean them, they practically look new. My truck is wheeled fairly regularly, is used as the family vehicle most of the time, and is used as a work truck in it's spare time. In other words, I'm hard on my mats. It's the best $25 bucks I ever spent at Wal-Mart. And to think, the day I bought them, I had only gone in to get some toothpaste!
Old 10-17-2008, 11:53 AM

Just spend 130$ and get some Husky Liner. ENOUGH SAID!

http://www.huskyliners.com/floorliners.html

Old 10-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
I've had mine for 4 years and cleaned up they still look new and have zero cracks or tears but Huskys will be coming soon sine I need a bit better protection form snow and slush.
Originally Posted by toyNG
that's weird, especially for a Toyota product. My dad has had the Toyota rubber mats in his Land Cruiser for almost 9 years and they still look great. They look more like the ones posted by X-AWDriver than those posted by the OP. Maybe the quality has recently gone down.
The quality has gone down IMO. Yeah, mine are completely different than the ones X-AWDriver has. X, glad to hear yours are standing the test of time! Wish mine did the same...

Originally Posted by MillerPKA
only you would do this bill. but i think its a good idea to have this posted and documented woohoo!
What can I say, I'm anal about stuff like this. Plus it's Friday and I'm bored at work. Trying to find something to pass the time with.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 10-17-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Contributing Member

Like I said, I'm "leaning" towards the weathertechs, but if any of you Husky owners want to share pics of yours, by all means post them up. You may change my mind.

For that matter, you weathertech guys, post pics of yours too. I'd like to see some more photos of them too.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:37 PM

4Runner husky liners.

At work till late...best 4Runner pics I could find.

They work awesome!!
Old 10-17-2008, 12:46 PM

I've grown up with Weathertech floormats (not the liners), and have some in my 4Runner now. I wish they had a bit more height around the outside just to ensure nothing escapes off the edges onto the carpet, but the liners would probably take care of that.

My mom had a set of them in her car for about a decade, no rips, fading, wear, anything. You definitely get your money's worth.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:46 PM

With the winter season coming up and with a bunch of snowboarding trips... I will be purchasing the WeatherTechs very soon.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

Toyota floor mats, like many other port installed items, is spec'd by Toyota but produced by local vendors. Every few years a new vendor gets the contract but it seems like they change the formula enough to cause a difference down the road.

Not an excuse for Toyota, they should spec tighter.

Anyway, I've a set of OEM (haha) Toyota all-weather mats in an FJ and Camry. They're wearing well, protect the floor, keep the crap in the catch grooves, don't move and clean up with a hose.
Old 10-17-2008, 06:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i got a set of the Husky liners, they are from an older Explorer but they fit just fine and they were free. i usually put them in right before winter and take them out during spring. my carpet and mats look great, and the Husky liners have stood up to everything i've thrown at them for the last 4 years. all they need is a spray with the pressure washer at springtime and they are good as new.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:01 PM

I will have had my Toyota floor mats for 2 years starting this November. They exhibit no wear of any kind and are still nice and black with no tears. I am sorry to hear that yours had some serious problems. I also take mine out when they get muddy and use the soap and the tire cleaner at the car wash, so that may be prolonging their life.

Quick Reply: Do NOT Buy Toyota's All Season Rubber Mats