Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Do I need new wheel bearings? weird noise- any ideas? please help.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need new wheel bearings? weird noise- any ideas? please help.

Hey guys- I have a 96 4x4 2.7L Taco and I recently have been experiencing what I can best describe as a gravelly/rough/type sound coming from somewhere in my front wheels or steering-either that or drivetrain. I can feel the rough gravelly feeling through my feet on the floor and through the steering wheel while driving. Sometimes it happens a little more when I turn right than left. It happens intermittently mostly noticeable on roads around town around 35 mph. It kinda feels like some kind of bearing or something might be rubbing or something is scraping somewhere. It's weird.

No real high pitch noises or squeeking or anything, just this weird gravelly kind of sound/feel felt through my hands on the steering wheel and through my feet on the floor.

I took it to my Toyota dealership and they said my U-Joints were shot.

I replaced both front and rear U joints and it got a little better not as loud a vibration as before but the rough gravelly feeling is still there.

Recent things I've done to my truck:
- Replaced both front and rear U-Joints
- Steering bushings replaced to tighten the steering
- Brand new tires, balance and alignment
My front brakes I did not that long ago so it's probably not bad brakes.

Any ideas on what this might be?
Old 04-06-2009, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by RockyWA
Hey guys- I have a 96 4x4 2.7L Taco and I recently have been experiencing what I can best describe as a gravelly/rough/type sound coming from somewhere in my front wheels or steering-either that or drivetrain. I can feel the rough gravelly feeling through my feet on the floor and through the steering wheel while driving. Sometimes it happens a little more when I turn right than left. It happens intermittently mostly noticeable on roads around town around 35 mph. It kinda feels like some kind of bearing or something might be rubbing or something is scraping somewhere. It's weird.

No real high pitch noises or squeeking or anything, just this weird gravelly kind of sound/feel felt through my hands on the steering wheel and through my feet on the floor.

I took it to my Toyota dealership and they said my U-Joints were shot.

I replaced both front and rear U joints and it got a little better not as loud a vibration as before but the rough gravelly feeling is still there.

Recent things I've done to my truck:
- Replaced both front and rear U-Joints
- Steering bushings replaced to tighten the steering
- Brand new tires, balance and alignment
My front brakes I did not that long ago so it's probably not bad brakes.

Any ideas on what this might be?
have you resolved your problem?....
Dwayne
Old 04-06-2009, 09:11 PM

You have a 4x4, might be bad CV joints in you front axles.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 3 suggestions... one being wheel bearings. You can jack up the front wheels then put your hands at 12o clock and 6oclock positions try to rock the tire back and forth this way. If there is any freeplay then you have bad wheel bearings. If no freeplay then you may have to get some "mechanic's ear" and listen to the bearings while someone turns the wheel. I do not recommend this if you are a novice as a good tech can tell an abnormal noise for a normal.
Second being CV axles. Check for torn boots on the inner and outer sides of the boots or even signs of grease leaking all over the frame rail or engine area.
Lastly it can be the tires themselves. Are they feathered on the edges? Depending on how badly feathered they are you can isolated this by rotating the tires. If the noise isn't as loud then replace them.