Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

do I have rear sag???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do I have rear sag???

Ok guys, look at this recent shot of my '98 4runner
I did have the rear spring recall done....but I'm wondering (???) is it slight? OR, I am I just freaking out. I think its just me.

http://www.angelfire.com/mo/theamorp...nerprofile.jpg

thanks,
aaron
Old 06-28-2003, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Aaron,

If its there at all, its only slight at worst. Nothing as bad as some 2nd gens I've seen. You can double check by grabbing a tape measure and measuring from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender.

You know what would fix that real nice? OME's!

Last edited by TDiddy; 06-28-2003 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:39 AM

hey Mertztr-
what kinda money is involved w/ a set of OME's coils/springs/shocks? It's a lift too if memory serves me, correct?
thanks,
aaron
Old 06-28-2003, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

Yep, its a lift. It runs somewhere in the neighborhood of $550-600 for 4 shocks and 4 springs.
Old 06-28-2003, 10:38 AM

A few things.

I have a few things to add. First, a full OME shock/strut/spring lift put me right at $600 from Mike. Not bad I thought. You could also just put spacers back there. If you wanted 4WD rear springs, I have 'em, and would be willing to sell them to ya. Also, remember that the rear is supposed to be a touch lower to make towing easier. That's something a lot of people don't realize.

Zach
Old 06-28-2003, 11:02 AM

Aaron,

Your 4Runner looks just fine! However I perfectly understand what your thoughts are, since you'd rather have the rear just a bit higher

If that is the case, as my personal recommendation, try to replace your coil springs first. They will run you about $365 from Performance Products. Rear springs from PP are about 2.5" higher than the stock, and fronts are about 2" or so. By replacing all four springs you will gain about 1.5" of lift, and the rear of your 4Runner will be a bit higher than the front. This will give you the looks you're looking, as well as better ride and cornering.

I hope this helps,
-- Andrey
Old 06-28-2003, 01:41 PM
Contributing Member

If you want to see what OMEs will do to your truck with stock tire size and no super aressive tires, check out my "4Runner" site. The front came down a hair once it all sebtled down. There is a before then the after right next to eachother on the page to, but the front did come down a little. Now that I have the TJM out front, its gone down even more. You can still tell its lifted, but I can't... unless its parked by a stock 4Runner. I guess Ive just gotten used to it. I need to get the SAW adjustable ride height coils up front to make up for the TJM. For you, the OME coils will do fine. You will love them. My truck handles just as good as my old car did! Hope you get what your looking for!
Old 06-28-2003, 01:49 PM

I think its just the picture that makes it look like you have the rear sag.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:21 PM
Contributing Member

what you have aint butt sag, THIS is butt sag. gone thankfully

My runner 3 months ago

Old 06-28-2003, 03:29 PM

This reminds me of when a woman asks me "do these pants make my butt look big?" :pig:
Old 07-28-2003, 01:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Vato Loco
I think its just the picture that makes it look like you have the rear sag.
I agree, never seen a '98 with the sag. I thought the pre '97's were the saggers.
Old 07-28-2003, 01:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup... you've got a little butt sag going on there... but only a half-inch or so. Since you've had the spring recall done, you have another option... TRD rear air suspension bags... I have them on my 2WD limited and it gave me an adjustable lift from 0" to about 2".

Here's a link: http://www.romaniatoyotaparts.com/airsprinsetb.html

Put TTORA in the discount Coupon Code when you order.

Don't follow the directions on the kit on how to trim the conical bumpstops. Instead do this:

Follow this procedure for each side. Jack up one side of the 4Runner so the spring and shock are extended all the way and the tire is just beginning to leave the ground. Remove the wheel. Get a hacksaw blade and wrap one end with some duct tape and use it to trim off the conical bumpstops, leaving at least 2 or 3 notches for the bag to sit under. Remove the portion that you cut off by squeezing it throught he openings of the springs. You may have to cut each disc seperately in order to get them out easily. Now, run the tubing up through the hole in the conical bumpstop and leave yourself planty of slack.

Now, put a dab of silicone on the tubing and put the end into one of the TRD Air Bags, making sure to get the tubing all the way into the fitting. Now, flaten the bag (squeeze it until all the air is out) and tape the opposite end of the tubing while you work so the air can't get back in. Now fit the bag into the spring by wiggleing it through the spaces. You can remove the tape on the tube and adjust the bag so that it will self inflate to atmospheric pressure.

Now do the other side...

You can have them hooked up seperately, but I decided to hook them together so they would air up and down in unison. I got a 1/4" brass compression "Tee" fitting from Home Depot for copper tubing along with some brass inserts for the plastic tubing. Assemble this so that each bag is hooked to one side of the Tee, and the third side you want to run it to one of the supplied air valves and locate it somewhere under your bumper in a factory hole.

I've had mine on for a while, and I love them. They REALLY smoothed out the harsh ride in the rear. I also helped a friend install them on a 98 limited that had the spring recall performed, so I know they work. I talked him into them after he had new Rancho shocks put on and his ride didn't improve any. Now, he has NO Complaints.

Any Questions? email me at bamachem@yahoo.com

Good Luck

Last edited by bamachem; 07-28-2003 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I actually kinda miss my sag, and am thinking about going back to stock 'saggy' springs, I dont know why.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:11 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by outdoorfever
I actually kinda miss my sag, and am thinking about going back to stock 'saggy' springs, I dont know why.
Uhhh Okaaaaay