Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Do diff drops actualy change CV angles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do diff drops actualy change CV angles?

First off, I do have a front diff drop.
My question is, Do diff drops actualy change CV angles?

This was on another forum
"Diff drop should be called diff rotation.

Reason being, the cv's are close to the fulcrum (pivot point, which is the rear mount) so lowering the front 1" may only lower the cv's 1/16" or so... (If that)

All a diff drop does is hang the fornt mounts lower to the rocks, put a worse driveline angle, and puts more stress on that rear mount. Not to mention it's a waste of time and money.

I set my SAW's at the point where the fins barely touch. I removed the fornt mount bolts, put a jack under the dif, and lowered the diff so that I had 1" gap on the mounts. Fins were still barely touching. Lowered to 2" and still barely touching."

Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited by Gerdo; 02-14-2008 at 07:24 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I just did it cause people told me to.

I don't think it makes a huge difference. Although, I haven't heard anyone really putting THAT much stress on the rear mount that it actually breaks. It only does rotate the diff downwards, sorta dropping the diff. I don't think its worth it because for me, it was a pain to put my skid plate back on.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi there, I am curious too. I just put the land cruiser springs on the back, and I cranked the front coils up about 2 inches. And there for noticed the cvs new angle. I called allpro and they said, a person would have to have the full 3 inches of lift in order to need the diff drop spacers. Then after that he said it only helps a very little bit if any. So I don't think I will be putting them on at all, as of right now.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:03 AM

I set my SAW's at the point where the fins barely touch. I removed the fornt mount bolts, put a jack under the dif, and lowered the diff so that I had 1" gap on the mounts. Fins were still barely touching. Lowered to 2" and still barely touching."

I'm not sure I understand what he is saying here. It does help a little but I think after a certain point there is only so much you can do with the front mount design that Toy used. If someone could come up with a kit that somehow moves that mount lower it would improve the driveline angles. I have about 3" of lift with the BJ spacers and cranked torsion bars. I'll see if I can take a pic later today that shows my CV angle. And yes, I've already blown 1 CV offroad with the bigger angle after the BJ lift so anything that helps even a little is a good idea I think.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

yes. by how much? thats debatable. dropping the front diff doesnt hang it closer to the rocks. the stock skid still mostly fits the same as without a diff drop doesnt it? so how can it be closer to the rocks that its an issue?

i put one in simply because it was cheap and easy, and whatever help i can get to reduce the cv angles, ill take. im also running CO's and even though they're not fully cranked, i know i can still go higher without my fins touching.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:04 PM

The "real" test would be if someone measured the angle of the halfshaft with and without a diff drop. Anyone want to do it?
Old 02-14-2008, 03:16 PM

When you say fins are you meaning the cv boot? Sorry but I am kinda lost on that
Old 02-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tclong
When you say fins are you meaning the cv boot? Sorry but I am kinda lost on that
Yes...he is referring to the fins on the CV boot.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

After i put my 33's on i noticed that my CV's are almost perfectly horizontal now. I think that's better than a diff drop. lol
Old 02-14-2008, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by kcebes
After i put my 33's on i noticed that my CV's are almost perfectly horizontal now. I think that's better than a diff drop. lol
tire size should have no affect on CV angle. Only sprung weight (above springs/shocks) and decreased ride height will affect CV angles.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:41 PM

Well I took another look at mine and my boot fins are almost an inch away from touching the lower arm. So when the 4runners are lifted to the max, the fins are touching the lower arms? Is that how you would kinda of judge when you need the diff drop spacers? Sorry to sound stupid but just wanting to know more.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:26 PM

I noticed a significant decrease in angle when I installed my drop kit a month ago.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by tclong
Well I took another look at mine and my boot fins are almost an inch away from touching the lower arm. So when the 4runners are lifted to the max, the fins are touching the lower arms? Is that how you would kinda of judge when you need the diff drop spacers? Sorry to sound stupid but just wanting to know more.
I think they mean the fins touching each other.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Taro
I think they mean the fins touching each other.
Yes, that is what we are referring to.

The big question is... Do we install a diff drop because that is what we have heard that we should do? Or does it actually change the CV angles?

The only way to know for sure is to measure the axle angles with and without a drop.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:23 AM

I would like to do that since I'm installing one in the next month. I'll report back then. But that means, unfortunately, you will have to wait. Hopefully someone can do it sooner.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A diff drop that only puts spacers in the rear will only drop your diff by half the distance of the drop. This will also mess with your pinion angle. You would have to replace or re-design the front crossmember mount to drop the front as well to be a true and accurate diff drop.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:49 AM

Unless you are running longer (more downward travel) struts in the front I really cant see the benefit of a diff drop. The CV's will have to 'bend' more to cope with the wheel travelling down more, so if you are trying to measure if the diff drop has any real effect then you must measure before and after with the suspension at full extension.
With with stock length struts I'm not convinced that a lift causes premature cv wear since they are still operating within their designed range.
Also keep in mind that if the diff is dropped to reduce full extension travel cv angles, then the full compression cv angles will be increased!
Old 02-16-2008, 06:21 PM

I have two 4runners, one lifted and one still stock. I looked at the both of them and there is a very significant difference. The stock one is pretty close to being straight, slanted down just a little bit. The lifted one is rough guess 20-30 degrees drop. I don't know. Why put something on if it aint gonna help you at all, or just a little to where you can't even tell if it is helping???? Maybe someone who has expierence with this will post.????
Old 02-17-2008, 07:54 AM

I have to do an oil change this week. I drop my skid to do it so I think I'll take the time to measure w &w/o.

I'm going to be buying a BudBuilt skid soon. He sells them to be used w & w/o DDs. If there isn't any difference I'll probably remove my DD and go with the non diff drop skid.

Originally Posted by techno
Unless you are running longer (more downward travel) struts in the front I really cant see the benefit of a diff drop. The CV's will have to 'bend' more to cope with the wheel travelling down more, so if you are trying to measure if the diff drop has any real effect then you must measure before and after with the suspension at full extension.
With with stock length struts I'm not convinced that a lift causes premature cv wear since they are still operating within their designed range.
Also keep in mind that if the diff is dropped to reduce full extension travel cv angles, then the full compression cv angles will be increased!
IF a diff drop does work then it will reduce the halfshaft angle and wear from your daily driving. It would also reduce the angle on full droop. It would also increase the full compressed angle.

IF you use the stock length struts the CVs should be operating within factory specs and should not be stressed under full droop, w or w/o diff drop, no matter how much lift you have. If you use a coilover or spacers then full droop could over stress the CVs.
Old 02-17-2008, 02:10 PM

I have been toying with my diff drop lately. Originally I had a 1 inch, still vibed. Pulled the one inch out, vibed slightly and I mean slightly worse. Added 1 1/2 diff, vibed worse than no diff drop or the 1 inch. Sooooooo long story short I'm back to 1 inch diff drop and NOT SATISFIED!

So basically as some of you have mentioned the diff drop is darn near worthless, but I bought it so XXXX IT!

I have installed two toytec lifts, both 3 inch and both front Divelines VIB!!!!!!!

anyone know how to adjust the front pinion angle on driveline?

Quick Reply: Do diff drops actualy change CV angles?