Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Disabling VSC TRAC control

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disabling VSC TRAC control

I own a 2002 4Runner. I have read many complaints about traction control taking over when stuck in snow, mud, etc. and making it impossible to get unstuck. I have heard of diverse ways of disabling this such as the Andy Mod. When I first bought my truck I thought that I would never be able to go snow wheeling because I didn't want to go through the hassle of installing something such as the Andy Mod. My 4wd was not working anyways but after I cleaned out the actuator with come electrical cleaner and got 4wd to work, I soon discovered how to disable VSC:
1. Turn key to "ON" position so only the electrical components are running
2. Engage 4wd (I have a button to put mine into 4 high), you should hear the click that engages 4wd
3. Crank engine to start
4. The VSC light should turn on to indicate that it is disabled
5. From here you can keep it in 4wd or put it into 2wd but VSC will remain disabled
I'm surprised I haven't seen any posts on this. I searched lots of threads but only found results that involved rewiring to disable VSC. Can anyone confirm that this has worked for them? I am curious to find out. I have tested this dozens of times and it has always worked for me.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not just push your center diff lock button which turns VSC off when you are getting into conditions where you need the extra traction?
Old 05-22-2017, 04:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
TRAC is a far greater PITA than VSC in low-speed, low-traction situations. I loosely came up with the original AndyMod many years ago (someone called it that in reference to my name) and have used it dozens & dozens of time while driving on the beach, or through snow or mud.

Andreas