Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Disabling ABS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disabling ABS?

I'm looking for instructions to render my ABS useless, as it's a useless gadget anyway. I own an 04' Tacoma extra cab 4X4 w/ 5 speed & a V6. I looked all over this site and others but could not find much if any info... It is late I'm tired... Mabie I missed it. I'm looking to "FIX" it so the ABS light doesn't come on, not just pull the fuse or wheel sensor. Any help would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
John

PS. please don't reply with speculation and such as to the legality or liability issues of such an adjustment.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why do you not want the light to come on? is it stuck on? or are you just wanting to get rid of the one ABS system all together? if thats the case, i dont understand why.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wouldn't it be built in to the whole system. I don't think you can just disable it without replacing the Master cylinder, maybe everything.
Old 12-10-2005, 11:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bob200587
wouldn't it be built in to the whole system. I don't think you can just disable it without replacing the Master cylinder, maybe everything.
Nah, in theory if he disables the mechanism that recognizes that he's got wheels that are sliding (like, ripping the sensors out of the wheel hubs) then the master cylinder won't have to change... It'll still activate the brakes. To kill the ABS light itself, then it's a quick fix to just pull the bulb.

I say this 'cause my "ABS" light came on the other day (I think it's a dirty sensor) and from playing around, I know that the ABS system is disabled.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:01 AM

Explanation

I was very tired last night... er this morning, let me explain. I was envolved in an auto accident, wiped out the front of my truck, A car cut in front of me and jammed on the breaks to avoid an 18 wheeler on a major highway. I hit a bump or hole in the road which activated the antilock breaks, needless to say it was a mess and had to have my tacoma flatbedded away. It's getting into the snow season now and I forgot just how bad ABS SUCKS in the snow, much less gravel roads (contrary to popular belief there are still a fair number of gravel/dirt/unmaintained roads in northern Jersey ie the delaware water Gap) and "rolling" into an intersection at 5 miles an hour is a little unsetteling to say the least, especially when you KNOW that if the wheels would just lock up you would stop dead where you are.

Moving on to the next order of bussiness... the light. The light signals there is a "problem " with the ABS and/or signals that there is a trouble code stored in the computer. Let me just restate I live in Jersey and the NAZIs at the inspection station are chomping at the bit to fail cars here (they must have a contest and the winner gets a prize at the end of the month or something) thankfully thay are too moronic to understand what is under the hood they just go by what the OBDII reads... You will get failed for ANY repeat Any trouble codes stored in the computer and if the ABS or check engine light is on a fail sticker is automaticlly issued.
With all this being said hopefully you can understand where I'm coming from.

So to recap I would like wire the ABS so that no trouble codes are recognized or stored (no light) and disable the ABS (or as I like to call it reenabling the driver)

One more point, Tacomas only came standard w/ ABS from 03' on, A friend has a base model 01' and it stops on a dime... Alright, mabie a quarter.

Thanks again,
John

PS To all at New Jersey inspection stations this Christmas
I'm Anti smilies but I think it summarizes how I feel about now. It's better then to feel
Old 12-11-2005, 08:20 AM

You can remove the abs fuse from the fuse box and replace it when you need to. That should disable the abs, it will kick you light on, but you just need to take out the bulb. Some will say that you need to redo the plumbing, putt the sensors and cap the holes. Personally I don't think it is nessecary, just depends on the person. I definately agree with you I hate ABS, it is made for people who don't know how to handle sliding situations, for those who know how to drive it just makes it harder to stop in situations where you would have has no problem. I love no longer having my ABS I was out on icy roads the other day for the first time without ABS and forgot how nice it is to drive a vehicle without it. I would recommend that if you do disable it tell your insurance company, the last thing you want is to get into a wreck and them blame it on you for altering your vehicle in a way that they are giving you a discount for.

Last edited by cubuff4runner; 12-11-2005 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

if you wire up something like the AndyMod, it's a switch that'll disable ABS, but also VSC and TRAC (at leat on my 02 runner, not sure if your Tacoma has those extra systems too. The nice thing about the switch is that when you flip it on, all those systems are turned off. but just flip it back, and everything is back to normal (so abs woudnt cause you to fail the inspection).
Old 12-11-2005, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by simplicity
...just go by what the OBDII reads... You will get failed for ANY repeat Any trouble codes stored in the computer and if the ABS or check engine light is on a fail sticker is automaticlly issued.
So to recap I would like wire the ABS so that no trouble codes are recognized or stored (no light) and disable the ABS (or as I like to call it reenabling the driver)
fwiw, my ABS is hosed now, and the ABS light is on, but there are NO OBD II codes in the system.

To kill the light, you might be able to just pull the bulb (or clip a wire) but if the inspection folks find it you'll run the risk of getting a ticket. (They get pretty PO'd here in WA when you do stuff like that).

To really disable ABS, you may have to dig deeper, or just pull the sensors, the dashboard bulb, and call it good.

Sorry to hear about the accident - glad that you're okay.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:29 PM

I guess Im lucky down here they dont even check your tail pipe.Much less your computer.Head lights,tail lights and blinkers.Just the basics.In the county not even that!
Old 12-11-2005, 04:14 PM

Where can one find out about this Andy mod
Old 12-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 984RNR
Where can one find out about this Andy mod
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&page=15&pp=25

search and ye shall find.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:52 PM

Bump...

I HATE ABS, I went into a ditch today because of it, no damage, but there could have been. I tried to pull the fuse, but the SOB won't come out. Anybody have success in pulling the fuse?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by oly884
Bump...

I HATE ABS, I went into a ditch today because of it, no damage, but there could have been. I tried to pull the fuse, but the SOB won't come out. Anybody have success in pulling the fuse?
It usually screws in, there will be a small screw on each side holding it down.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:15 PM

just register it here, we don't even have inspections at all...
Old 12-15-2005, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
It usually screws in, there will be a small screw on each side holding it down.
Alright, cool, I'll check when I get home.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

I hit a tree because of ABS, I was pulling into a U-Turn on a residential street and I hit a bigger hole in the road (which was surrounded by dirt and sand) and the ABS activated which caused braking effort to basically disappear and I hit the darned tree. Mind you, I was only going 5mph into the 3 pointer and hit the tree @ 2mph, but crap, it still broke a headlight. I am concerned that this might happen on faster streets when emergency braking is req'd. Califohniaa has a lot of pot holes.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:30 PM

ok, so i forgot to check when i got home, and i'm drunk, so no checking right now. Maybe in the morn.