Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ding removal? has anyone tried?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ding removal? has anyone tried?

Well once again I've got damage from friendly fire. Besides pinstriping fron branches, it seems that all cosmetic damage caused to my vehicles is friend induced and I'm really aggrivated. I just noticed three dings in my door and I know how they got there.
My sliders are good at preventing door dings but the other night, this A-hole that I know was standing on my drivers side slider rocking the truck back and forth and successfully landed me three driver's door dings with his knee.
I guess I could remove the door panel and get access. Has anyone tried this and had any success?

The day after I got my TJM, some one decided to sit on it and drop an elbow to my hood. I pushed out the small dent but kinda made it worse. I don't want to make the door worse.
I hate dings and before these two incidents I had zero.
Old 01-01-2004, 01:40 PM

You need to find smarter A-holes to wheel with!
Old 01-01-2004, 02:03 PM

Indeed!
Old 01-01-2004, 05:02 PM

Sure! Did this on a saab and a mazda 626 with great results. Go to Walgreens and buy a "Dent wizard" kit.

About $20 and it uses adhesive for small dents. No drilling through door.

For the big ones...2x4 and a rubber mallet from the opposite side. Worked wonders on a 71 AMC hornet.

-Leaf
Old 01-01-2004, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by Leaf
Sure! Did this on a saab and a mazda 626 with great results. Go to Walgreens and buy a "Dent wizard" kit.

About $20 and it uses adhesive for small dents. No drilling through door.

For the big ones...2x4 and a rubber mallet from the opposite side. Worked wonders on a 71 AMC hornet.

-Leaf
I would have used a 2x4 on a AMC hornet too cause ... its so ugly!

Old 01-01-2004, 05:23 PM

Hey, mine was that same classy green color too...looks like "money" doesn't it.

Straight six....plenty of pavement visible on both sides of that block....canvas roof that rolled back. Screamed chickmobile.

Re: the dents....you may have to get to in inside of the doors but I doubt it. Try the el cheapo kit. If it doesn't work, keep it for the next time some bozo gives you one.

If you *do* have to take aprat the doors, I highly recommend getting a door diagram (with internals) before tackling it. It's not that hard, but can be a little tedious.

-Leaf
Old 01-01-2004, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: ding removal? has anyone tried?

Originally posted by TStango
this A-hole that I know was standing on my drivers side slider rocking the truck back and forth and successfully landed me three driver's door dings with his knee.
I think I'd put 3 dings in his knee...with my 5 iron!

The day after I got my TJM, some one decided to sit on it and drop an elbow to my hood. I pushed out the small dent but kinda made it worse. I don't want to make the door worse.
Sounds like it is time for a nice elbow drop to someone's forehead.

Seriously, it makes me blindly enraged for folks to "attempt" to treat my rig like they treat their own car, if they are old enough to have one. My wife accuses me of parking like Clark Grizwold. The worst place I have found is at CHURCH of all places. Folks just put their purses, books, KIDS!, whatever, or lean against other folks vehicles like they own them. Last time I caught somebody was this lady putting her purse on my hood to dig something out of it, I had to count to ten and walk away or I would have "laid hands on her." After regaining my composure I very sternly, but politely, with a smile on my face, asked her to please remove her purse from my paint, unless she would like to pay to have the damage she was causing to my paint job repaired. My blood pressure is rising just thinking about it.

It's one thing if I put a scratch on it, and there are some, no dings so far, but for someone else to do it out of just carelessness or foolishness, I can't and don't tolerate it.

I hope you get the dings out!

Old 01-01-2004, 06:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
T,

its a piece of cake taking the door panels off. theres a HUGE hole in both doors that will allow you to push the dent out. check out my sound deadening write up (last pages) and the pic pages for a good idea of what im talking about.

http://www.4runners.org/articles/sound

Bob
Old 01-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all the feedback!
I take really good care of my stuff and nothing pisses me off more than other people being careless. I probably wouldn't be as upset if it was for a good reason, like I was stuck while wheeling and he was helping out. But this stupid @ss was rocking the truck with his buddy on the other slider like a couple of apes. The truck was parked in his shop at the time and I had been in the bathroom. When I came out they were going nuts on it. I wish I had dicovered the dings then. It's a good thing he is out of town now. He's one of those friends you try to stay away from because of stupid stuff like this. What a freakin moron.

I'll give the dent wizard kit a try first and he's paying for it.
Bob, thanks for the link. Your write-ups are top notch.
Old 01-01-2004, 07:40 PM

Holy cats Bob, first class write up on quieting the cabin.

Keeping that one, thanks for passing it along.

-Leaf
Old 01-01-2004, 07:50 PM

paintless dint repair

Down here we have a thing called the dent doctor. They take spoon shape rods and get the dents out with out paint repair.Works great.Good luck
Old 01-01-2004, 08:11 PM

Try dry ice for small ones. Heat the spot up with a blow dryer, then put a towel over it and place dry ice on it. Its worked for me as long as its on pretty thin sheetmetal. If there is any kind of crease or body line through it I have not got it to work. Might be worth a shot.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

These are small dings but grouped closley together. No creases or paint deformation. Thanks for the dry ice tip. That really works?
Old 01-02-2004, 03:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
AF,

Man, you must have a magic wand too b/c i tried that dry ice trick several time and nothing happened except my gloved fingers getting cold.

If the dent is a sharp dent, definitely pay the piper at your local dent doctor. Usually $75 a panel. But if you catch these guys doing some work on some other guy's car in a lot, you can probably ask them to do a "quick job" and pay them on the side. Not advocating it, but I've seen it happen.

Bob