Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Diff Breathers DONE :(.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diff Breathers DONE :(....... (pics)

okedokee... today i got my differential breathers put in! finally... the mod that is probably the most practical, and i wait till serveral mudd puddles later.

ok so here is the rear diff:

heres the front diff:

OK... so since i was doing the breathers, i thought i would change out the gear oil. so i did the rear.... ok all good and done!

doing the front... drained it completely, as i was replacing the drain plug... *drop* "WHAT THE ˟˟˟˟˟!!!!!???? OMG NOT AGAIN!"

out drops this:

its a piece of the ring or pinion gear! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! its broken!!! OMG! my rear broke several months ago, if you remember my old post. so now i have to shell out probably another $400 which was gonna go towards my Goodyear MT/Rs.

I dont know when this happened. i never felt any weird jerks or vibrations while im in 4x4. i went wheeling a few nights ago and didnt notice.

AUGH!

wel thanks for bearing with me. atleast i can still drive in 2x4.. :T

Last edited by joshik; 03-14-2003 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:05 PM
Contributing Member

what affect does it have on your car...i not sure I really understand the problem, but it sounds interesting.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:46 PM

Honestly dude I would see if anymore will come out. It is hard to tell in the pic how big that piece actually is, but if it isn't that big and that is all there is, I wouldn't sweat it. I'd run the beast until you really grenaded that junk. Maybe pull the diff out and have a good look at it. If you have the money, by all means go ahead and take care of it, but if you are anything like me, you don't have that dough just sitting around. I always wait until it is a "must have" senario...
Old 03-13-2003, 10:50 PM

realli? you think i can still drive it? the piece is about 1/2" x 1/4" ... around there. but if i let it sit and keep 4x4ing... it could cause more damage, like to the spider gears,etc... than i'd really be ˟˟˟˟˟ed...

what does everyone else think?
Old 03-13-2003, 11:38 PM

Originally posted by joshik
realli? you think i can still drive it? the piece is about 1/2" x 1/4" ... around there. but if i let it sit and keep 4x4ing... it could cause more damage, like to the spider gears,etc... than i'd really be ˟˟˟˟˟ed...
The way I see it, that would just give you an excuse to get a front locker!

I see in your profile that you have 4.56s, were those factory or did you have those installed? I am assuming those were installed because I don't think that was an option on your truck. Anyhoo, if they were installed, I would have some choice words with your gear guy, especially if this happened to your rear too. Sure gears aren't indestructable, but they should last longer than that.

Most likely if you keep going on it, it would get worse (like 100% chance), especially if there is a problem in the actually setup that caused the tooth carnage in the first place. But if strapped for cash, I personally wouldn't hesitate to run them until i could afford the new ones. Of course before I made the call I would pull the diff and check to make sure the damage wasn't too extensive. Sometimes all those little pieces don't like to come out all at once

But like I said, if you got the funds, get it taken care of right. If it is your gear guys fault, I would see if he has some kind of warranty on his work because that is crappy to have both sets go on you. At least see if he will spring for a new set of gears and the re-install like I would hope he would. Then have him get you the gears and take it some place else, because he obviously doesn't have a good track record. If you are installing your own gears, perhaps think about having it done professionally, it will save you money in the long run.

Good luck bro...

Dave
Old 03-14-2003, 05:07 AM
Contributing Member

If it is flat and stainless steel it is a piece of the bolt retainer clips that are bent up around the bolts to keep them from turing out. If it is wedge shaped and jagged it could be as piece of ring gear.

See around the bolt heads there are tabs that bend up. Is it a piece of this? If so you are fine. ARB lockers are designed so that these are not reinstalled.

I could show you that as well, but I took my site down.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:17 AM

well im probably not going to drive in 4wheel for a while. ill get it fixed next week after pay day.

but from today, till when i get it fixed... my truck is sad

(pic from camera phone)
Old 03-14-2003, 07:28 AM

ooh btw, the front diff was a piece of cake. i know you guys said it was a tight squeeze coz of the oil pan.... but i have a 2" body lift! i forgot about that! so it was actually really easy.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:38 AM

It looks like you got oversized ARB air lines for your breathers.

Last edited by Arnold; 03-14-2003 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:41 AM

lol!
Old 03-14-2003, 07:57 AM

Can you give us the info on what parts you used, sizes, where you routed to, etc.? I'm planning on doing this soon myself.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:14 AM

parts:

breather union for the rear diff: toy part 90404-51319

90 degree breather union for the front diff, if the oil pan is in the way: toy part 90904-04001

Four small hose clamps

3/8" hose. i used an air hose that i had extra. it was cheaper than getting heater or fuel hose and its a cool blue color instead of ugly black ! those are $1/ft at autostores. i bought 50 feet of air hose for $12 at harbor freight! the only worry is its heat tolerance. so i kept it as far away from the exhaust as possible.

2 fram fuel filters for the end of the hoses. i used g12. kinda big, but o well.

zip ties to secure the hose

i terminated it in the engine bay.
(pic in a little bit)

Last edited by joshik; 03-14-2003 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:41 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Josh, I did the rear a few summers back with the same union piece, and a Fram filter.
Info is on my website.

I had the same one for the front, and when I took off the skid plate, I was shocked to see how close it was.
I never did do the front.

I just called up the dealer and have the 90 degree one on order.
I still have about 20' of hose, and an extra Fram filter that I will route up into the engine bay.

Hopefully I will get this done this month.
Been putting it off for to long up front.

I love driving through water (not to deep ), and will eventually end up with a snorkel like Lee did.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:07 PM

nissan part

i used that nissan part that alot of people use....it was a tight fit up front but it fit and no the hose is not kinked!.......

i can't find the part # right now but pm me and i will find it

i heard that the elbow union couldn't spin beacuse around back it hit the oil pan........just what i heard
Old 03-14-2003, 10:29 PM

Re: nissan part

Originally posted by rabidbeaverbaby
i used that nissan part that alot of people use....it was a tight fit up front but it fit and no the hose is not kinked!.......

i can't find the part # right now but pm me and i will find it

i heard that the elbow union couldn't spin beacuse around back it hit the oil pan........just what i heard
I actually have the nissan breather in the rear diff an in the front diff, I tapped the 44 housing so it would thread into the stock breather hole up front. They work very well. Don't have any experience with the yota part, but would like to see a picture if anyone has one handy as I have never actually seen the toy part for this...
Old 03-15-2003, 05:49 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Jalaber has some pics of the Toy union on his website.
http://www.top4runners.com/ja/

Look under the Mods area, then Performance.

I guess most 3rd gens don't have to bother with the front as it's done from the factory.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by Corey
Jalaber has some pics of the Toy union on his website.
http://www.top4runners.com/ja/

Look under the Mods area, then Performance.

I guess most 3rd gens don't have to bother with the front as it's done from the factory.
Thanks for the link Corey.

Basically it looks exactly like the nissan part huh. Any notable differences?

I guess it boils down to which one is cheaper. I think the nissan part is right under 7 bucks if I remember correctly. How much does the yota part run?