Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

- depressed -

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
- depressed -

Constantly reading this sight has got me depressed. I am addicted to coming here, but seeing everyone posting about all the cool mods they are doing while I'm sitting here broke as hell is making me sad. Even if I did get a little cash saved up, I've got an oil leak and a bad 02 sensor (or a bad EFI?) that has to be fixed immediately.

Am I the only one who's ride is in need of a bit of work? They need a show like Oprah or Queer Eye where they suprise you and make over your trucks engine instead of taking you out and getting you a new wardrobe!

-Keith
Old 01-01-2004, 10:45 PM
Contributing Member

It is more likely QE or O that has you in the dumps Keith. It will be okay as long as you steer clear of the tube.

Old 01-01-2004, 11:39 PM

Cheer up

Don't feel like the lone ranger man I've been gettin my a$$ kicked on my 85 since 26 Nov.
turns out I crapped an auto tranny first I was gonna just use yahoo to pick one up saw 3 units all from same guy in excess of $500.00 U.S.
Well I can't pay that much out so I figure we'll go scrappin to look for one well lets just say every scrap yard in the area basically asked what I needed and when the words 85 hi lux surf auto tranny came out the room went quiet and i get blank stares like I'm sayin it in Korean:alien: even got a guy at one shop gigled like a school girl
So now it's all about do the over haul my self,this is around Christmas..... we go to ordering parts and the part shop has for of the six friction plates the rest have to be ordered from Nagoya (home of Toyota)which normally is a 5~7 day wait which brings us up to this week....
The Japanese take a full week off for New Years EVERYTHING closes
That was the condensed versionthere is more...
Patience and lots of beer thats what gets me through
Oh yeah did Imention this is my d/d
good luck man
Daniel
Old 01-02-2004, 12:00 AM

turn that frown upside down

I think that a majority of us here on the forum are in that same situation.

This is just a way for me to keep thinking about new and cool stuff to do in the future. And for the time being to live vicarously through everyone else.

Robb
Old 01-02-2004, 12:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've been without my DD since sept. my headgasket blew last march, left for 6 months, no work when i got home, and i havent gotten it fixed yet. The money i had to fix it went towards christmas gifts. i'm looking at getting it fixed this next week, but i'll be leaving again for another 6 months the middle of feb., so by the time i get it up and running, i'll be gone again! so i've been lining up things to do when i get home next sept, been reading alot on some mods to do(deckplate mod, differential breathers, low profile bumpstops), and have learned a great deal about my truck with out even driving it. tomorrow i'll either fix my sway bar end links (learned how to do that yesterday), and i'll be possibly taking my exhaust off to get a crack in it welded this weekend. Hopefully next winter, i'll be able to do some wheeling, and i'll be able to send some money back home and have some things done to my truck so when i get back it will be ready to go. the list is long, but so is 6 months, so maybe when i come back, i will have 4.88's and arb's front and back, low profile bumpstops, new exhaust and maybe some disco's (birthdays in the summer so i can ask for a few things ) so if you can drive your yota, be thankful. i'm stuck driving a ford contour (and its snowing, so if i can dig it out of the driveway and get a running start, i could make it to the corner!):cry:

Donations to my "Help With My Truck Fund" are more than wecome!!

thanks to all who have answered questions for me. i'm learning alot, and not done learning.

Last edited by EWAYota; 01-02-2004 at 12:09 AM.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:52 AM

See Keith you aint the onliest one it'll get better
Just keep thinking it through use the time to study up on what you need to do to get that machine back up and running thats what I'm doing ,oh yeah and the beer thing to I actually just sat in the truck the other day for about 10 minutes and realized how far I've come with it from stock till now (2 yrs)that just drove the determination factor to do this thing right through the roof
Daniel
Old 01-02-2004, 01:18 AM

Just fixed my Daily Drive after 2 months in the garage. I ripped my spiders out of the front diff($500) and destroyed my wheel bearings($500) A week later after the fix my 4wd is not working, my new 6 month altinator is broken, my winch smokes when I try to use it, my front axle seal leaks, my rear axle seal is blown, I ripped a hole in my 305/70 BFG MT's sidewall, new PS pump and it leaks, late rent, no health insurance, wisdom teeth impacted, bone spur in ring finger from falling front diff. Did I mention I am unemployed?

Hey at least I don't have to go to work in the morning.

Tonights Problems:
My alt went out tonight along with a slow leaking 33" BFG w/ 2 plugs in the sidewall. Was 2 hours away in the mountains, actually 4 hours cause I stopped 4 times to have my bro charge my Optima with jumper cables. Also put air in the tire 3 times probibly should have changed to my factory spare but I was lazy and cold.The volts would only charge to 10.5 and lower. Made it 5 minutes from the house and the truck died. So out comes the 50ft tow strap and I get pulled at 45 mph down the Hwy to the top of my road made it home a 3:30
Old 01-02-2004, 02:40 AM

OUCH!!!suddenly my life doesn't seem so bad
Old 01-02-2004, 09:09 AM

I personally like anti-depressants, such as PAXIL CR 12.5 mg is ok but 25 mg once every day DOES THE TRICK you are totally happy with doing virtually ANYTHING, the extra perks are when you listen to music it seems to come alive, just my 2 cents on the whole matter!-

Tom
Old 01-02-2004, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

I do not think you understand how broke I am.

My 1991 Runner was starting to give me problems..and with a baby on the way I decided to get something a bit more up to date with Safety features..plus I wanted a 4x4..so I have this 2001 now and no money left to build her up the way I would like...
So, I have a list of things I want to do..This also helps cut down those impulse buys..I can sit and think about what I am going to do with my 4runner and how best I can configure it..
Just know that most us here do not have endless pockets, and it has taken some of these guys many many years to get there 4runners they way they have them now,
Just fix what needs to be fixed and ask for help when you do it yourself..there is a lot of knowledge on this forum..

Good luck
Old 01-02-2004, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Keep your head up dude. Its the times when you are down in the dumps that build character. Just think, someday when you do have money you will be that much smarter with it. Being frugal is not a bad thing. Trust me.
Old 01-02-2004, 10:18 AM

Yeah im in the same boat as you man, my 4runner is pretty much stock. Bought some subs when I got it, bought a k-40 and a cb, and thats pretty much it. Got a Con-Ferr roof rack on the way though!!!
Old 01-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

You are definately not the only one man...keep your head up.

I'm a 16 year old Junior in High School, no job, insurance payment and gas for my GAS GUZZLING 4Runner...I'm pretty much stock as well, but like 96 Runner said, the longer you go without money the more time you spend on here learning about what mods to do first, how to do it, and you really start to prioritize the mods that you want to do so that when you do get some cash you can use it wisely...anyway, just my $.02 as usual.

Keep your chin up bro...you'll get your rig modded soon!

Fink
Old 01-02-2004, 10:51 AM

Think of it this way too...

It was bad enough I got a 4runner and corolla... at the same time with 500 a month payments a month on JUST the 4runner...

but mods equals more money.... all the mods cost money to begin with, but then you loose gas milage, IMHO, my lights,my roof rack, my bumper, my tires... all are making my vehicle more heavy and less aero-dynamic...

Stock these rigs are pretty good... try not to catch up with the jones'... (or Rob) lol... but just save your money for things that are important, and if you have extra... save up for a mod... baby steps man!... =)

Speaking of... end of Feb, my baby is due... sigh... money is about to stop for my rig... thinking maybe ill start donating blood or something... lol...
Old 01-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Ducky
Think of it this way too...

It was bad enough I got a 4runner and corolla... at the same time with 500 a month payments a month on JUST the 4runner...
$800 a month for me ($700 for Tundra + $100 for accord), + insurance ($180 for four months for a six month premium) and the ever so wonderful gas too.

Seriously though, Breakerfalls...do you live anywhere within the vicinity of Sacramento, CA? I am will to donate my time and effort and help you get your vehicle running correctly again. Anything that isn't within my relm of knowledge (i.e., piston rings), the college I go to, I can give them the car and they will do the rebuild.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

Ducky,

You get more money donating plasma- I know because I did it while in grad school to help pay bills!

Now that my 3rd gen is "done" as far as the mods I wanted to do are concerned, I've begun looking at 85's to build up a trail rig only. However, I'm trying to be financially responsible, and the good thing about waiting is that it gives you time to think things through and make the best decision in the long run.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:38 PM

i know how you feel...........the wife's 4runner's got a leaky head gasket that's gonna get fixed next week.

so ill be out a big chunk o' change pretty soon and still just have a completely stock truck when all is said and done.

but i guess if the only bad that happens to me is a broken truck then im doing pretty good (things could be much much worse)

keep that chin up