Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Deer + 4runner = new bumper

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deer + 4runner = new bumper

well in my DD on my way home from school and working on my trail rig... i hit a deer 2 miles from home. pissed me off considering i drive about 30-35 miles to school... i was so close! (i'll post pics when i get a camera to it during the day tomorrow, happened tonight)

my grill-gone. driver side light cover-gone. driver side blinker-cracked. hood-bent. radiator frame-bent. radiator-busted. driver side fender trim- little dent. driver side fender-little dent. and what makes it even worse...!!! after i plowed into her doing a good 48mph, she tumbled across the ground, hit a tree, skidded........ and got up and ran off! thats good eatin running away! i looked for her thinking she couldnt have gone far... but she did. i never found her.

well talking to my dad, he was always against doing anything to the DD 98 4runner and anything i wanted done, do it to my 88 trail rig. well my buddy had the same thing happen and got a TJM bumper instead of a stock bumper (said it ended up coming out even), does anybody have any opinions on a different bumper i could use than just the stock sense the insurance company is going to cover everything? can't get by with an ARB but i would like something like the TJM, not rock crawling looking (thats for the 88). but something that looks good on a DD but isn't huge and over done?

i really just needed an outlet because i'm really pissed about it now. the deer screwed up crap and i can't even get revenge by eating it!!!
Old 02-03-2009, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sucks Chase, i bet you wish you were in the 88.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:15 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
all that tenderized meat walking away...bummer. Glad you are OK.
If you have full coverage, don't forget about your deductable...
one alternatives (not sure what the TJM runs)
http://www.badlandbumpers.com/ he has several options
Old 02-03-2009, 05:17 PM

I have not looked at the prices of the TJM but I think they look a little too "manufactured". My preference is the shrockworks stuff. http://shrockworks.com/
Old 02-03-2009, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn that shockworks bumper looks sweet! i was riding with my in-law in Mississippi when we hit a deer doing about 65 front of the truck is gone. this reminds have yall seen the video of Explodey the doe?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSJZUE2E8gU[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by ETRNL; 02-03-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You cannot get TJM's in the usa anymore.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the dude hits the deer and keeps driving!! thats crazzy lol

do you want a tube bumper or a flat steel bumper?
Old 02-03-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by claudebadly
the dude hits the deer and keeps driving!! thats crazzy lol

do you want a tube bumper or a flat steel bumper?

i'd rather have a flat steel plate bumper. something that doesn't look like a rock crawler cause its my DD. something that looks a little more like an expedition truck/cross country
Old 02-04-2009, 08:21 AM

Just be glad you are okay.

Many years ago I was driving on the Taconic Parkway in Upper NY State late one snowy December night. Out of nowhere, WHAM! 12 point buck right across in front of me.

Long story short, skidded off the road into a median (with trees) and 3' of snow. The snow bank slowed me down and I missed hitting tree line by 1 foot.

Buck was DOA. Brand new rental car (15 miles on the OD when rented) was totaled. Having looked at the car, the state trooper said I was really lucky. The buck almost came through the windshield but his rack was too big and caught up on something.

It's just a truck. Be happy your okay.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:25 AM

yeah i'm very happy i was ok. i mean so many things could have gone wrong like especially if the person behind me hadn't been paying attention... it would have been more than just my front and could have been a lot worse or even if i was driving a car she could have come through the windshield. you could have gotten a nice mount out of that deer though lol
Old 02-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 02-05-2009, 08:39 PM

poor deer
Old 02-06-2009, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by 88Cleve4runner
well in my DD on my way home from school and working on my trail rig... i hit a deer 2 miles from home. pissed me off considering i drive about 30-35 miles to school... i was so close! (i'll post pics when i get a camera to it during the day tomorrow, happened tonight)

my grill-gone. driver side light cover-gone. driver side blinker-cracked. hood-bent. radiator frame-bent. radiator-busted. driver side fender trim- little dent. driver side fender-little dent. and what makes it even worse...!!! after i plowed into her doing a good 48mph, she tumbled across the ground, hit a tree, skidded........ and got up and ran off! thats good eatin running away! i looked for her thinking she couldnt have gone far... but she did. i never found her.

well talking to my dad, he was always against doing anything to the DD 98 4runner and anything i wanted done, do it to my 88 trail rig. well my buddy had the same thing happen and got a TJM bumper instead of a stock bumper (said it ended up coming out even), does anybody have any opinions on a different bumper i could use than just the stock sense the insurance company is going to cover everything? can't get by with an ARB but i would like something like the TJM, not rock crawling looking (thats for the 88). but something that looks good on a DD but isn't huge and over done?

i really just needed an outlet because i'm really pissed about it now. the deer screwed up crap and i can't even get revenge by eating it!!!
if you have comprehensive coverage on your vehicle then you are covered when hitting an animal, no deductible should apply. don't mention to them you also hit a tree too. if you dont have comp coverage but have collision, say you swerved to miss the animal and hit the tree, your deductible will apply and and possibly your rates will increase too. your insurance will repair your vehicle with like kind quality parts, dont expect them to replace with upgraded bumper or OEM parts, they'll repair it with what ever is cheaper.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:36 AM

here is a good site to get cheaper replacement parts. i think their prices are good...

http://www.collisionpartsexpress.com
Old 02-06-2009, 07:17 AM

i think that vid is of a cop car......
Old 02-06-2009, 07:37 AM

i agree on the cop car thing