Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

deck plate mod and elbow removal..

Old 08-24-2005, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deck plate mod and elbow removal..

i see where several people are doing both. ....my question is why?

is there an advantage to doing both mods? it seems like the deckplate mod would provide more than enough air flow ...so why bother removing the elbow?
Old 08-25-2005, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by spacewrangler
i see where several people are doing both. ....my question is why?

is there an advantage to doing both mods? it seems like the deckplate mod would provide more than enough air flow ...so why bother removing the elbow?
I did the elbow mod first. I was at the dyno shop making runs and tuning and for kicks decided to open the lid to the airbox for the next run. I picked up 2 hp (I realize that is not much and it could have been just a variance between runs) and decided for 8 dollars, I would do the deckplate mod as well. I never put the elbow back in.
You are right though, if you do the deckplate, there is no need to do the elbow mod as well. Mine just sort of ended up that way.

Dave
Old 08-25-2005, 07:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As Dave said, there is no benefit to doing both.
I'd just do the deckplate unless you wish to return bone stock at some point.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:44 AM

my stupid parents are freaking out because i want to do the deckplate mod to a truck that i am paying 100% for. they claim it will hurt the engine. will someone please tell me it doesnt so that i can say people that do it have said it does not hurt, it helps. it adds hp and maybe better gas milage. (i tell them that anyway, but i need to show them so they will calm it down a notch)
Old 08-25-2005, 07:56 AM

Hey spacewrangler,

The Deckplate mod is a good ceap and easy mod!! it gives a couple hp, and a couple tenths of a second of throtle response!!
If you want your truck to sound nice and 'throaty' the ISR mod is another ceap and easy mod to do!!!
As for the elbow mod if its removed you won't be able to use the stock 'snorkel'
by using the deckplate lid to close the air-box again for wheeelin'. Thats why ppl use the deckplate instead of just cutting a hole!! removing the elbow really doesn't do anything for performance unless you don't do the deckplate mod!!
Drop me a line if you have any questions about these mods!!

Good Luck

Last edited by 97Limited; 08-26-2005 at 09:12 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:09 AM

Hey Nick Cuban:

The Deckplate mod Does Not Harm the Engine in any way!! All its doing is allowing more good cool air into the engine so it could 'breath' better!! Just remember with that deckplate installed you can always put the lid back on to close the air-box back to 'stock'!! I've been running an open deckplate in my truck for two years now and its a great mod and i tell everyone with a Runner or Taco to do it!!

Here's the link that explains how to do it!!
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech.../deckplate.htm

Good Luck

Last edited by 97Limited; 08-25-2005 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:56 PM

I have not done the deckplate mod, but I have removed the airbox door. It pops off easily. I also use a small 1 inch c-clamp to hold the filter snug against the airbox as this was the job of the airbox door. Just another option if you don't want to cut the airbox and keep in reversible. This might be a good option for you Nick Cuban.

Last edited by TACOMANATOR; 08-25-2005 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:01 PM

thats true, i actually made my mom go out to my truck and i showed her and now shes not as scared about it since its just plastic. well see
Old 08-26-2005, 03:31 AM

If you do the elbow mod right you can snap it right back in when ever you are off road. It looks like it was never removed. On my Tacoma I can remove it and lay it right beside the air box and it can't fall out. When I want to put it back on it's right there and I just snap it in. Mike
Old 08-26-2005, 04:17 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
I've had the deckplate mod installed for almost 3 years. The local Toyota dealership does my state inspections plus most work I've had done associated with the CEL, including warranty stuff. The deckplate can be seen about as plain as day. I even asked them when I first installed it if it voids any warranty stuff and they replied that it doesn't. So far, they've stood by that statement.

Other than a bit more throttle response, I personally have not noticed any "significant" increase in fuel efficiency, but I also have not put the cap on since the original install.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:18 AM

Hey Beartracker;

Yes you can remove the elbow and snap it back on if you wish!! But just to tell you removing the elbow doesn't do anything for the performance on your truck!!! Just do the famous Deckplate Mod, cause its ceap and easy!!! and you can put the lid back on and the air-box is back to stock!!
Good Luck
Old 08-27-2005, 02:52 PM

Has anyone done an oil sample thru Blackstone to see if they are getting silicone build-up from the deckplate mod? I want to do this mod but was wondering if the mod was allowing more dirty air into the motor...

If someone has done an oil sample at stock and one with the mod, please POST !!!

ThanX !!!!
Old 08-27-2005, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by 97Limited
Hey Beartracker;

Yes you can remove the elbow and snap it back on if you wish!! But just to tell you removing the elbow doesn't do anything for the performance on your truck!!! Just do the famous Deckplate Mod, cause its ceap and easy!!! and you can put the lid back on and the air-box is back to stock!!
Good Luck
A while back there were some test run and write up's on the deck plate /elbow mod and this is what happened. They got real close to the same results with just the elbow removed as they did with the deck plate mod. Both of them removed did not improve anything. They also used a 5" and a 6" deck plate and found no improvement. The reason is that no matter what you do there is only so much air that's going to enter the intake. All this testing was done by someone on here and with a dino machine,
Removing the elbow allows more air in the box from under the hood without the restriction.On my Tacoma the elbow extends in to the box for about 5 " and it's opening is turned to the bottom of the box. That's what you need to cut off. I also screened mine on both openings to keep critters out.If I can find the artical I'll bring it back up. Mike
Old 08-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Banned

Nick, show your parents the results of this poll. over 2 times as many people voted for a $10 deckplate over a $150-200 intake.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/fipk-cut-out-my-airbox-19214/
Old 08-27-2005, 03:27 PM

Here you go guy's. No need to cut a hole in your box unless you just want to. Removing just the elbow will give very close to the same results. Just click on "Remove the elbow".
http://www.gadgetonline.com/airinduction.htm

Last edited by Beartracker; 08-27-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:01 PM

My mom said, oh wait it doesnt matter. I am all growed up.