Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Deck Plate lowered my mileage...help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Deck Plate lowered my mileage...help

I have the deck plate modification and a K&N filter in my box. I noticed a drop in my gas mileage...any suggestions? Do I need to wall off my engine compartment so I'm not sucking in hot air? Would a Amsoil filter be better? Finally, should I unhook my mass air flow sensor? HELP
Old 03-20-2004, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

I know it sounds real cool when you stomp on the gas between 4k-5k rpm..but that is what is causing the lowered MPG... if you drive normal it will not be that bad.. I have a log of my milage and the first few tanks of gas was a lot lower ( I believe because the computer has to get used to it) and tha fact that it counded so damn cool to me

BTW, I am using the amsoil filter..not the K&N..I do not know it will make a differience..but I ma not an expert..I have never used the K&N

Last edited by Herkengineer; 03-20-2004 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:20 PM

Thumbs up Thanks Man...that really helps!

Originally Posted by Herkengineer
I know it sounds real cool when you stomp on the gas between 4k-5k rpm..but that is what is causing the lowered MPG... if you drive normal it will not be that bad.. I have a log of my milage and the first few tanks of gas was a lot lower ( I believe because the computer has to get used to it) and tha fact that it counded so damn cool to me

BTW, I am using the amsoil filter..not the K&N..I do not know it will make a differience..but I ma not an expert..I have never used the K&N

I rarely take my Runner past 3.5K, but I do admit I was playing a bit with my new HP! I think I am going to try the Amsoil Filter....seems like lotta folks like em'
Old 03-20-2004, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

Like I said, I have never had a K&N..but I did have the amsoil for a couple of weeks before I put in my deckplate..and it was a world of differience over the stock filter...
Old 03-20-2004, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like I said, I have never had a K&N..but I did have the amsoil for a couple of weeks before I put in my deckplate..and it was a world of differience over the stock filter...
Look on Gadget's site, he does a comparison between Amsoil and K&N on there too.
Hint: the amsoil won.....that's why we all use it.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lead foot! LOL
Old 03-20-2004, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

My gas mileage dropped to hell after i did the deckplate. mine is always screwed in now.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

The deckplate does tend to add to the leadfoot problem.
Don't blame the deckplate for that tho.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:30 PM
Contributing Member

Question

This is sort of tangential, but what size deck-plates did you guys all go with? I recently bought a 4", have't gor around to installing tho. Was hoping for something bigger, but the next step up was "8.

I'm hoping to get it in tomorrow-wanna see how it helps on my up-coming cross country trip (already got the new exhaust on) mileage wise, if at all.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:35 PM

97'. I installed mine about 6 weeks ago and I've been averaging ~16-18 mpg street/fwy ever since. Not much of a chance from whence i didn't have the mod. Granted, I do floor my truck at every on-ramp just to hear the sound.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fade
97'. I installed mine about 6 weeks ago and I've been averaging ~16-18 mpg street/fwy ever since. Not much of a chance from whence i didn't have the mod. Granted, I do floor my truck at every on-ramp just to hear the sound.
hell, what did you avarage before?

I go between 16.5-21 that is both before and after deckplate mod
Old 03-20-2004, 10:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ianshoots
This is sort of tangential, but what size deck-plates did you guys all go with? I recently bought a 4", have't gor around to installing tho. Was hoping for something bigger, but the next step up was "8.

I'm hoping to get it in tomorrow-wanna see how it helps on my up-coming cross country trip (already got the new exhaust on) mileage wise, if at all.
Not to hijack the thread but.... aw, what the hell... Where in SoCal did you get the deckplate. Pondering about going back to my stock airbox and needed to know where to get it, thanks!
Old 03-20-2004, 10:45 PM

Exclamation 4 Inches will do!

Originally Posted by ianshoots

Don't think you will be able to fit more that 4" in the air box! Let me know if you have any problems and I will see if I can pull up the instructions I found on the web about how to install. Good Luck!
Old 03-20-2004, 11:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by humanoid
Not to hijack the thread but.... aw, what the hell... Where in SoCal did you get the deckplate. Pondering about going back to my stock airbox and needed to know where to get it, thanks!

Order from here, mine came in less than a week and under $15.00 out the door.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:52 PM

About the same actually. I didn't see much difference in fuel consumption...
Old 03-20-2004, 11:52 PM

I live in Ontario (california)... theres a marine shop 5 min away from me
Old 03-21-2004, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

I forgot to add... I still love to hear the sound and I still do it with a heavy foot. I put the deckplate back in a lot. If I know I will be in mud or even if I know it is going to rain a lot ( I know you do not have to for rain..but I feel better) I put it in, and when its in I leave it in for the whole tank of gas...again, I do not see much of a differience in MPG with it in or out...just when I do highway and city driving. I just looked at my chart and I avarage 18.432349 mpg in all situations.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Where in SoCal did you get the deckplate. Pondering about going back to my stock airbox and needed to know where to get it, thanks!
I picked it up at the West Marine in Van Nuys. I think it was about eight bucks.
Just grab the yellow pages and look up marine supply, I think.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JASPER99
Don't think you will be able to fit more that 4" in the air box! Let me know if you have any problems and I will see if I can pull up the instructions I found on the web about how to install. Good Luck!
Really? I thought that the instructions I'd seen (here, and maybe linked to gadgets site) said you could get up to six inches. But it sorta looks like most have gone with the 4". Now I just need to borrow a dremel....
Old 03-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

I just looked at my chart and I avarage 18.432349 mpg in all situations.
Herk, you are definately an engineer!

Quick Reply: Deck Plate lowered my mileage...help