Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Deck Plate Alternative?

Old 12-29-2004, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Deck Plate Alternative?

Just a thought, instead of installing the deckplate mod.. why not just drive with the air box open... the flap that covers the filter folded back . I tried this after completeing the ISR mod and makes a big difference in sound... seems like more air is coming in...just like the deckplate mod... Let me know if what the difference is... I am just lazy and cant find a boat shop around here... let me know if its the same idea or I should just keep the box closed. Later
Old 12-29-2004, 05:51 PM

I've been running with mine open for about a year. Make sure to get a small one inch (opening) c-clamp and clamp your filter snug against the airbox. If you don't, dirt can get into your intake. Same result as the deckplate mod. You will get used to the added noise but your filter will get dirty fast.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:54 PM

preesh
Old 12-29-2004, 06:06 PM

You don't need to leave the cover folded back. You can pop it off easily and store in in your glove box.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:10 PM

why dont more people do this??lol
Old 12-29-2004, 06:16 PM

Thats a good question. I've posted this on a few threads in the past but no one has commented. Maybe it's because so many have done the deckplate mod, and they don't want to hear about an easier way after all the work they put into it.

Last edited by TACOMANATOR; 12-29-2004 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Oh well too late. Since the top opening is more flush towards the hood. Id figure its more flow just hacking a hole forward pointed.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:20 PM

They are both good mods for airflow. Removing the top is easier, but the deckplate might have more of a "cool" factor.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:22 PM

I see what ur sayin kev, deck plate is still cool, I just wish more people could have known of the "OEM Deck Plate" .. haha.. Alright guys, thanks for teh help... I was jus makin sure i wasnt screwin my engine up
Old 12-29-2004, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

The problem with leaving the flap open is that it serves a purpose other than air filter access; it also holds the air filter securely. By removing the flap, you are also removing an important aspect of proper filtration. Don't get me wrong, I have removed the flap on my old Tacoma - but nothing beats the functionality of a properly installed deckplate.

As a temporary sound mod, I would say it is ok. But I would do the deckplate mod ASAP. And I would never off-road with the flap open.

Part of the deckplate's dyno-proven 5HP is due to the air being rammed in from the front. With the flap open, you are most likely pulling in warmer air and you lose the ram effect. Some things to think about.

Last edited by rimpainter.com; 12-29-2004 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
The problem with leaving the flap open is that it serves a purpose other than air filter access; it also holds the air filter securely. By removing the flap, you are also removing an important aspect of proper filtration. Don't get me wrong, I have removed the flap on my old Tacoma - but nothing beats the functionality of a properly installed deckplate.

As a temporary sound mod, I would say it is ok. But I would do the deckplate mod ASAP. And I would never off-road with the flap open.

Part of the deckplate's dyno-proven 5HP is do to the air being rammed in from the front. With the flap open, you are most likely pulling in warmer air and you lose the ram effect. Some things to think about.
Hence the imporatance of the c-clamp to hold the filter against the airbox. While your moving there really is no hot air in the engine compartment. If you pulled out the headlight and some other things I could see the "ram air effect". But with all that stuff in the way I doubt there is a difference. I cleaned my throttle body two weeks ago and there was no dirt or dust at all in the intake tubing after a year.

Last edited by TACOMANATOR; 12-29-2004 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

As the other member mentioned of "cool" air. Heat rises so your more likely to suck hot air just removing the door. Soo yeah just hack in a hole
Old 12-29-2004, 06:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TACOMANATOR
Hence the imporatance of the c-clamp to hold the filter against the airbox. While your moving there really is no hot air in the engine compartment. If you pulled out the headlight and some other things I could see the "ram air effect". But with all that stuff in the way I doubt there is a difference. I cleaned my throttle body two weeks ago and there was no dirt or dust at all in the intake tubing after a year.
Yeah, but while you are sitting hot air is going up, therefore your off-idle take off might be a little slower.

Ram air was a poor choice of words. I meant that it has a straight path into the air box vs. a sharp bend found in the air flap mod.

The deckplate mod has been proven to provide 5WHP. You aren't arguing that fact are you?
Old 12-29-2004, 06:51 PM

I'm not arguing the 5hp fact. I just think the door, being about two inches from the deckplate will not be sucking in hotter air than the deckplate. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

Understood. I guess it would require hooking up an IAT sensor to find out for sure. But I agree, I don't think the hot air aspect of it is going to be a huge deal, not enough to test anyway.

The V6 intake opened up sounds great, that's for sure.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:04 PM

Yea, there is a definite increase in decibels. Amazing how a thin piece of plastic can make that much difference.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

This sounds like a good idea to those that arent sure if they want to do the deckplate mod(like me). Do I have to worry about rain/snow since the opening is now at the top of the airbox. I would be worried about rain going between the hood and the headlight, then getting in the airbox. Also should I close it on dirt roads? I have some friends I frequently visit that live at the end of a 1 mile dirt road. I would think it would be ok, and that the filter's life wouldnt be shortened because that outside air eventually goes through the filter, its just getting there faster now. umm, this is gonna sound stupid, but I dont think I have a small c clamp laying around the garage, so would it be ok to try this mod out for a day or more, using duct tape across the whole airbox where the filter is? Im gonna try leaving the airbox open tomorrow, I can't wait to hear the sound that everyones talking about!

Last edited by dibble9012; 12-29-2004 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:03 PM

No worries about rain/snow getting in. I don't know about duct tape. I would go to the local hardware store and get the clamp. They are only $1.50 or so.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

I just realized that my filter is held in place by a metal clip on each side. Do I still have to clamp it? Is it that big of a problem if I do some driving without a clamp? Its not that big of a problem to buy a clamp, I just don't have that much time to get out tomorrow to buy one. Also, if I did do the real deckplate mod, would there be any issues getting it inspected in VA? Thanks
Old 12-29-2004, 08:18 PM

Take the lid off and wiggle the filter around.You'll see what i'm talking about. Personally I wouldn't ride around with the clamp off. If you just want to do it for one day then I guess tape would be allright.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Deck Plate Alternative?