Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Dead spot in your head light switch ? Ive got your fix.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 06:31 AM
Banned

Location: OmG, Hi2U !!! .... DANG, my chic's got some SEXY eyes.... among other things. WOOT WOOT !!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead spot in your head light switch ? Ive got your fix.

Ever since I bought my runner last year its had a dead spot in the light switch, ( the portion you turn on the end to turn the parking lights, then the head lights on ).

I could turn the light lights on and be fine, if I touched the switch just right though, the lights would die, and I would have to wiggle the switch to get them back on. It was a minor thing and always came right back on with in a split second, but none the less, this is the head lights we're talking about. It never bothered me, but since I've given the 4runner to my Fiance, the last thign I want is the lights going out on her. I had decided to buy a whole new switch but I thought I would atempt to figure out and fix the problem first. I took the switch out, and the turn part that turns the lgiths on can be forcefully pulled out of the end of the shaft. Dont pull to hard because there are wires in there. After it's pulled out there are 3 brass prongs that transmit power to a power block inside the shaft when turned. The power block is covered with a type of electrical grease, and I guess after 10 million times being turned, it was able to build up a line of dirt and grime where the prong slides over the block. I cleaned this, and respred the grease that was inside the block. I also took and bent the brass prongs out about 1/4 inch to ensure they kept constant pressure on the power block. Press it all back together, and it works perfect. I cant make it cut out any more. No telling how much the switch would have cost from Toyota.
Hope this helps some one !
Old 11-24-2005, 06:02 PM

Excellent info. I've had the same issue for about a year and have just dealt with it. When you talked about pulling the end out...Was it the last 2-3" that rotates?

Thanks again for sharing the information.

Rick
Old 11-24-2005, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've tried that myself and the problem always comes back in a month or so. I priced the switch assembly at $230 from Toyota and no other parts stores sell them.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:42 PM
Banned

Location: OmG, Hi2U !!! .... DANG, my chic's got some SEXY eyes.... among other things. WOOT WOOT !!
Originally Posted by rleec
Excellent info. I've had the same issue for about a year and have just dealt with it. When you talked about pulling the end out...Was it the last 2-3" that rotates?

Thanks again for sharing the information.

Rick

Yeah just the part that clicks on and off on the end of the switch.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
I've tried that myself and the problem always comes back in a month or so. I priced the switch assembly at $230 from Toyota and no other parts stores sell them.

Well, I would much rather take 30 seconds and do my fix, even if its once a month, then to go drop $230 on a switch that other wise works perfectly fine.

I jsut did mine about a week ago, so I guess we'll see what happens. Mike did you pull the end of your switch out and physicaly bend the little prongs out a little bit to make them make better contact ?
Old 11-25-2005, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stegall984R
Well, I would much rather take 30 seconds and do my fix, even if its once a month, then to go drop $230 on a switch that other wise works perfectly fine.

I jsut did mine about a week ago, so I guess we'll see what happens. Mike did you pull the end of your switch out and physicaly bend the little prongs out a little bit to make them make better contact ?

True, much better than paying that much for it. I did pull the assembly out and file down the contacts then put some dielectric grease on them. I didn't bend the prongs so that may be my problem. If I ever even get the time I will have to fool with it again since it's annoying that people may be thinking you are flashing them or something.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:39 PM

Great post! I've been having the same problem for a while now so I will definitely try your suggestion.