Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Dash Squeak

Old 01-05-2004, 06:16 AM
funglenn

Dash Squeak

Anybody had any problems with squeaks in the dash? I have a squeak on the passenger side, somewhere between the airbag and the door. I have padded the door and some behind the glovebox. I am ready to kill this truck, a really nice truck with a constant squeak.

Any ideas? anyone else have any problems like mine? Suggestions? Comments?

I am also looking for any diagrams on the dash and what is behind it, I am willing to pad my whole dash if that is what it takes.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2004, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Info man... need the info! What year/type of truck? There is a service bulletin out for 2k through 2003 Tacos with dash rattle/squeek. Apparently the dealerships are pretending it doesnt exist (the svc. bulletin) as someone else was complaining about a rattle in his Taco. Seems the dealership had his truck numerous times, tore the dash out of it, and still cant find the prob. (odd ) The bulletin is posted over @ customtacos.com.
Old 01-05-2004, 07:20 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 1Runner
Info man... need the info! What year/type of truck? There is a service bulletin out for 2k through 2003 Tacos with dash rattle/squeek. Apparently the dealerships are pretending it doesnt exist (the svc. bulletin) as someone else was complaining about a rattle in his Taco. Seems the dealership had his truck numerous times, tore the dash out of it, and still cant find the prob. (odd ) The bulletin is posted over @ customtacos.com.
Is that guy in Sacramento? My friend knows someone with that exact problem, might be going through arbitration and may just end up trading it for something else. I wonder if it's the same guy?
Old 01-05-2004, 07:51 AM

I have a 2002 Tacoma that had the same problem. There is a ducting hose that rubs the dash. Toyota should warranty the problem and fix it for you. I called the dealer explained the problem, told them my friend is a toyota master mechanic and he has fixed the problem under warranty for a couple of rigs and presto! They fixed it for free.

Make sure the dealer understands the problem. The first dealer I talked with siad the would just pad it but there is an actual hose that needs to be replaced if I am correct.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:06 PM
funglenn

sorry....

I forgot my sig block did not have my info:
2001 4Runner SR5,

but the squeak sounds the same, and since the Tacoma and the 4runner share the same interior componenets (Am I wrong), it very well could be the hose.

It has 42,000 miles before it started squeaking, so warranty is out. I am willing to replace the hose myself or take it in to the stealer. Please give me all the info you can. That squeak is one of the main reasons I am thinking of getting rid of this thing. Every since I started carpooling, the radio has to be low and the squeak is such a daily occurence. It is worse when it is warm out and not as bad in the cold.

Again it sounds like is coming from behind the glovebox, corner of airbag area. I have pushed and wiggled all spots, (even air bag section) and all is tight.
I have long thought it was a hose somewhere. I even thought it was where the plastic air vent of the passenger touched the dash itself (along the rectangular opening)

I did check, there is no service advisory for the 4runner dash squeak only the Tacoma, but I did think they were identical in many components.

I would love as much information as you can give me, and even part numbers if you can. The more info I have to go on the better!

Please advise...:pat:

Last edited by funglenn; 01-05-2004 at 03:08 PM.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might need to get a bit dirty and pull the dash apart over there.
Most of the time you aren't able to see the problem until you get in there.
At least take out the glovebox (2 screws) and see if it is more pronounced.
Then look at the manual exploded view and see if there are any obvious places to rub.
Will be a it of a trial and error unless someone knows exactly what is rubbing.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:00 PM
funglenn

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
You might need to get a bit dirty and pull the dash apart over there.
Most of the time you aren't able to see the problem until you get in there.
At least take out the glovebox (2 screws) and see if it is more pronounced.
Then look at the manual exploded view and see if there are any obvious places to rub.
Will be a it of a trial and error unless someone knows exactly what is rubbing.
I agree with you, I have taken the glovebox out and put all sorts of felt and padding in a variety of spots. No dice. Pulling out the dash is the major step I am trying to avoid, but it may come to that in the spring when it gets warm.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:18 AM

I am not sure what the part number is for the new hose. What I can tell you is that they did have to pull out the whole dash inorder to replace it. I am sorry it is no longer under warrranty...I would call around to different dealers and try to get them to do it. Some are nicer than others and might like to get your business when looking to buy a new rig.

One way to test and see if it is the ducting is to hold down the dash above the passenger air bag while the squeak is occuring and if it goes away that would more than likely be the problem.
Hope that helps a little.

funglenn wrote on 01-06-2004 06:58 PM:
I think that you may have the answer to my problem. Can you check out the dash squeak thread? I think that hose you mentioned is the one making noise.

Thanks

Glenn