Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

In-dash Scan GaugeII

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In-dash Scan GaugeII

______

Last edited by blarchitect; 06-13-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:46 AM

looks factory, very clean install, you mind giving a little more information about the scan gauge?

Last edited by sleaz22xx; 03-25-2008 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by sleaz22xx
looks factory, very clean install, you mind giving a little more information about the scan gauge?
Manufacturers website. They have added some more features since I purchased. It's a really useful tool.
http://www.scangauge.com/
Old 03-25-2008, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Very nice!!

30 mpg? Waiiitttt a darn minute... ???
Old 03-25-2008, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Very nice!!

30 mpg? Waiiitttt a darn minute... ???
Yes, gas is $4.70 here so i don't use the accelerator pedal if i can help it!!

No, I think i was coasting up to a traffic signal when i took the snap.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
very nice job on the install, it looks perfect!
Old 03-25-2008, 07:58 AM

Nice install!

I've been eyeballing OBD-II scan tools and was wondering about the Scan Gauge. Does the Scan Gauge allow for datalogging? I didn't see anything on the website, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

MadCityRich
Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by MadCityRich
Nice install!

I've been eyeballing OBD-II scan tools and was wondering about the Scan Gauge. Does the Scan Gauge allow for datalogging? I didn't see anything on the website, but thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

MadCityRich
As far as I can tell it has a flash memory for remembering settings. (I plugged it back in after 2 weeks and none were lost) There is also a trip button for storing current or a previous days readings which are:-
max speed, max coolant temp, max engine RPM ave. speed, ave fuel economy, trip miles, trip elapsed time, trip fuel used and a host of settings for fuel and time left etc.
But, it doesn't appear to log or store specific engine and system characteristics. Trouble codes are stored until the are fixed or cleared though.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by pattycakes77
very nice job on the install, it looks perfect!
Praise from the mod master himself!!
Thanks
Old 03-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a pretty neat unit. After seeing it on this thread I was searching more on it and a lot of people seem to like it. I also was looking at others. Anyone ever tried this one?

http://www.auterraweb.com/

I like the idea of hooking it up to a GPS unit. Only draw back is it's $$$ more then the Scan Gauge....
Old 03-25-2008, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by psraff
That's a pretty neat unit. After seeing it on this thread I was searching more on it and a lot of people seem to like it. I also was looking at others. Anyone ever tried this one?

http://www.auterraweb.com/

I like the idea of hooking it up to a GPS unit. Only draw back is it's $$$ more then the Scan Gauge....
That is a sophisticated piece of kit, but it’s pricey as you say.
Like all the add-on toys the dilemma is where to sensibly locate them.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by blarchitect
That is a sophisticated piece of kit, but it’s pricey as you say.
Like all the add-on toys the dilemma is where to sensibly locate them.
That Scan Gauge unit would look nice up in the worthless sunglasses holder. I've looked at that several times thinking what could be mounted up there. I've done a bit of fiberglass \ bondo work so making some kind of mount may be easy to do.

I was always thinking of taking that "door" off of the sunglass holder and making a "plate" that will fit up there for a series of switches for lights, electronics, or what not.

Just throwing out a few ideas for people who have more time and money to play then I do right now! LOL
Old 03-25-2008, 01:13 PM

Very nice! I've been looking for a place to mount my ScanGauge as well. I have the OEM Toyota NAV so I can't mount it the way you did. I am looking for alternate means though.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Praise from the mod master himself!!
Thanks
this is going in my signature. now i have to watch my back, i'm about to be surpassed!

Originally Posted by psraff
That Scan Gauge unit would look nice up in the worthless sunglasses holder. I've looked at that several times thinking what could be mounted up there. I've done a bit of fiberglass \ bondo work so making some kind of mount may be easy to do.

I was always thinking of taking that "door" off of the sunglass holder and making a "plate" that will fit up there for a series of switches for lights, electronics, or what not.

Just throwing out a few ideas for people who have more time and money to play then I do right now! LOL
that would be cool! i would like to do that but i like having my sunglasses in there. you should give it a try and see how it turns out. i saw a picture a while back of a modified sunglass holder into gauge pods, don't remember who did it but they did a really nice job, even matched the color and texture of OEM.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Very nice! I've been looking for a place to mount my ScanGauge as well. I have the OEM Toyota NAV so I can't mount it the way you did. I am looking for alternate means though.
Overhead like psraff suggested? As i said mine was in the ash tray location originally. Removed tray and metal guide and used the 2 holes to mount a bracket. My bracket as to flimsy. Gauge fits in ok but was too low down for my liking.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks nice on the install , i love mine
Old 03-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

Overhead like psraff suggested? As i said mine was in the ash tray location originally. Removed tray and metal guide and used the 2 holes to mount a bracket. My bracket as to flimsy. Gauge fits in ok but was too low down for my liking.
I agree with you there for it being too low. Great idea if the ash tray was higher up. I don't smoke (and if anyone tries to light up, it's going to be put out on their forehead) so the ash tray will never be used. It's kind of a hard place to get to so there goes the spare change holder (which I use my cup holders for)... Not so good for switches either, so that may be just wasted space. I just moved so I don't have any fiberglass or bondo laying around. But that may be a good summer project for me in the next few months. Wont happen anytime soon though, hate to say. I did happen to look at the "door" on the sunglasses holder. Very easy to take off, so if the project fails you can just put that right back on to cover any mess that's made (just two pins that slide in to make the hinge. I pulled them out with just my fingers).