Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dash Lights

I had a light burn out on me in the dash for the cold/heat control.

I'm taking it down to Toyota tomorrow to get the light replaced. How hard is it to replace the light myself? Is there a special tool I need to pull off the plate that has the fan, temperature control and vent selector? It doesn't seem like it would be that hard but I don't want to bust it up trying to pry it out with a screwdriver or something similar.

If it's super easy to get the plate off and change out the bulb I may just do it myself.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:37 PM

I had numerous lights out in my dash when I purchased it....It was about a total of 8-10 screws and a few bulbs.....EXTREMELY EASY on the 88.....I should not think it is that much harder on the newer ones.

I would not take it to the dealer...I can only imagine howcmuch they would charge! Anyways.....dive into it yourself! You can do it!
Old 07-01-2004, 01:50 PM

Hope I don't get in trouble for posting an answer that's already in another thread...

Are all the lights out? Checked the Fuses?

getting to the lights isn't hard.

1) Just center the fanspeed and fresh/recirc sliders and pull the black knobs off.

2) pull the two rotary knobs off (temp and air flow)

3) Pull the plate using the edges made available by the removed knobs. Ease the plate off. When it comes off, your A/C switch will pull out, too. Just remember to plate back on before pushing the switch back in.

The hard part is the blubs. There's two of them (not enough, but that's another post). The one on the left you can probably pull out using fingers if you're hands aren't large. The other will probably take something needle-nosed.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

It is very easy on the new ones. This is a cut/paste from a previous post of mine for removing that same piece for removing the stereo. I don't know anything about the lights, but here is how I think the panel comes off (from memory)
I have the crutchfield info at home, so if this thread isn't solved by others by later today just let me know and I'll regurgitate it when I'm at home. But here is the best from memory.... Tools needed = phillips screwdriver

1. Remove the bottom part facia below the main front center console. This should be where your 12V power adapters are. Do this by removing the two plastic plugs on either side of it. The plastic plugs are round with a seperate center piece. Push the center piece in with something small, and it will release the mechanism holding those plugs in. It is actually quite clever. REmove the plugs and pull that whole piece outward. You don't have to actually remove it, just pull it out so it is out of the way.

2. After removing the lower facia, you have exposed the lower portion of the main center console. Remove the ash tray. This exposes a screw in the back of the ashtray that you have to unscrew. I think there are two screws on each side of the lower part the main center console, too. Something like that....the screws are obvious whever they are.

3. Remove the all the knobs for your fan control, temp control, etc. that are located on the top portion of the main center console. On my '03 (and previous '01) they are round turning knobs, but I think they were horizontal sliders on a '96. They should just remove by pulling on them. AFter the knobs are removed, pull the plate behind them off. After that plate is off, two screws are exposed on the top left and right corners behind the plate. Unscrew those.

4. Pull the whole main center piece off by pulling it towards you (the black part of the console, not the exposed part underneath). THe entire thing is one unit, from the vents down to the ash tray spot. I was nervous about pulling hard because it still feels secure, but that is just plastic resistance. Once it is popped off, you can access your stereo. It sounds like you already have an aftermarket one in there, so you'll have to figure out how to get that out!

Like I said, this is regurgitated from memory. I can cross reference later when I'm at home because I still have the crutchfield instructions. Good luck.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks this helps some.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by ewarnerusa
It is very easy on the new ones. This is a cut/paste from a previous post of mine for removing that same piece for removing the stereo. I don't know anything about the lights, but here is how I think the panel comes off (from memory)
If you're only trying to get to the bulbs behind the temp controls, you only need to remove that plate. the lower fascia, vents, & whatnot can stay in place. No screws need to be removed.

Unless there was a change in the construction from 00 to 01....
Old 07-01-2004, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RebuiltRunner
If you're only trying to get to the bulbs behind the temp controls, you only need to remove that plate. the lower fascia, vents, & whatnot can stay in place. No screws need to be removed.

Unless there was a change in the construction from 00 to 01....
Yes, I don't see any screws. I was just wondering what "tool" I need to use to pull the plate off without damaging it. A friend said I could look into getting a trim tool from Toyota.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Darx,

Yeah, just like the other guys said, remove the knobs and gently pull off the AC face plate. But as you are doing it, the AC button will start to slide out at the same time. Pull that out and then go back to pulling the AC face plate off.

Look in the Tech section and find Travis' (SLC Punk's) write up on changing out a stereo. You'll see clearly w/ pics on how to do it.

Bob
Old 07-01-2004, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Okay, great. So I don't need a tool to get anything removed. Thanks to all.