Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Dagnammit!

Old 08-04-2003, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Dagnammit!

That what i said when i went ot change my front brake pads today and couldnt push back some of the caliper pistons. Took both calipers off and 5 out of the eight pistons are rusty as hell and 3 of them will not budge. Meaning i'll have to go and buy two new calipers. Sometimes i hate owning a 13 year old vehicle.
:pat:
Old 08-04-2003, 10:07 AM

did u try spaying them with "liquid wrench"....??

that might break up the rust and help...try putting it in a press and use the brute strength of a hydrolic ram
Old 08-04-2003, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jjdeneen
that might break up the rust and help...try putting it in a press and use the brute strength of a hydrolic ram
If you can't compress them with a C-clamp then I would spend the extra money and get some new ones. Brakes are not a good thing to have fail. I would try the liquid wrench as suggested to see if you can get them to move freely.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by MTL_4runner
If you can't compress them with a C-clamp then I would spend the extra money and get some new ones. Brakes are not a good thing to have fail. I would try the liquid wrench as suggested to see if you can get them to move freely.
Yes, C-clamps are the key when compressing calipers. They work great. Also, if they are siezed you should definitely replace them. Right now, you aren't getting all the braking power you should have. You may be able to unseize them, but they will seize up again. Just replace them, you will be better off if you did. It's alright to spend a little extra money when safety is involved.

Good Luck

Old 08-04-2003, 11:41 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah! I sprayed them with WD40. And used c clamps, but to no avail. If i used one of my woodworking sash cramps i got them to budge but thas not good. Gonna buy some new ones. Your right, i'm better off buying new ones, just bracing myself for the price!
Cheers guys
Delboy
Old 08-05-2003, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

Toyota strikes again! Just got quoted 400 euro each for new calipers. Thats about $430. Doesnt it make you sick. So needless to say, i'm gonna look for some aftermarket ones!
Old 08-05-2003, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Delboy I'm in the same boat. Mine came loose very easy with a C-clamp though. I worked each of them in and out several times in a painstaking process of putting the caliper on and off the truck and once one came loose I would stick the pad in sideways to prevent it from coming out so it would force the others out. I did that 6 times on each side and my brakes work a whole lot better but I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they stick again. Gonna get em rebuilt when I get stateside.
Old 08-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

If you need new or used calipers, I can probably get some. Probably even from a newer vehicle. I'm making a trip to the yota wrecking yard tomorrow anyway. I can ask how much they are. Shipping from Holland to your island shouldn't be that much dineros. Or euro's or whatever.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:31 PM
Contributing Member

If you could have a look, that would be great. Cant find any surfs or 4runners at wreckers here. Needless to say i'm off the road until i get some. Cheers

UK! I think mine are beyond the point of no return and trying to repair them is just prolonging the inevitable. i dont think they'd ever workk right again!

Last edited by delboy; 08-05-2003 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2003, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Okay, I'll have a look. I also know were to get a set from a 4Runner, but have no idea about their state. I'll check this wrecker on saterday when I get my weekly dosis of yota parts.
Hang in.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

Got my brand new aftermarket calipers yesterday for 350 euro ( Toyota wanted 800 euro). I repacked the wheel bearing on one side and have it all back together. Gotta do the other side tomorrow. Pretty easy job! Was thinking of doing a write-up on it but there's quite a few out there as it is. Glasd i bought new ones. Should last quite a while with some care.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:58 PM
Contributing Member

I bet your brakes work alot better now! Let us know how it turned out. What brand calipers did you get?
Old 08-17-2003, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member

It doesn't actually say on them what make they are. One of them was in an Aisin box but i doubt they are actaully Aisin. The one on the right is golden colour and the left one is grey, so they could be different makes. Started doing the right side today but need to get an inner oil seal and another seal which is attached to the dust guard. Looked at the EPC and think i may have to buy the whole dust guard in order to get the seal. Usual ˟˟˟˟˟.

Search this Thread