Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CV joint noise...Help!

Old 11-02-2005, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CV joint noise...Help!

Sorry, I had to post this again...

I just did the OME 2-3" lift kit, springs and shocks. Put on a set of BFG 265/75R-16's on and went to get an alignment. (My last set of tires wore away on the edges as soon as I did the lift, so I know the camber is off and I don't want to tear up the new sneakers.)

So, I take it in to get an alignment and they tell me they can't do it untill I replace my left lower ball-joint and the left side inner tie rod too! (Sounds like bunk, to me)

My wife talked to the shop and brought the truck home till I got back in town to look at it.

So I go out and check it out myself... jack up the truck and haul on the tire in all directions...no motion or clunking! So I think they were full of it. But then I hear some mild clicking coming from the CV boot area when I spin the wheel/tire.

I panic.

If we blew through our CV joints because I did the OME lift and tires thing...my wife will kill me!

Can anyone tell me if they think the clicking, (which sounds like a playing card being rubbed by bicycle spokes to me, but quiet), is bad news?

-Clicking in Colorado
Old 11-02-2005, 10:57 AM

I looked at this again...

It looks like I get play in the inner tie rod, but when I uncovered the boot, I see the joint is not moving, but the 1-1/4" steel rod coming out of the steering box is moving inside the box!

A freind suggested that I undo the large nut on the steering box and look inside as it moves. He said there might be a way of tightening it up in there?

Also, how can I self-inspect the lower ball joint?

-Raptor in Colorado!

Gettin greasy again, woohoo!
Old 11-02-2005, 11:01 AM

...re: the clicking noise and RECALL!

...sorry, also the clicking noise should be minor. If the CV joint is going bad, it will clunk and grind bad, especially under loads in corners, etc. It's just a slight ticking sound as it spins around.

Also, my freind from Toyota said that some of the newer Runners and Tacomas have a recall on ball joints. There was some scratch that was incurred during manufacturing that causes them to wear out early. If you have a '01 or newer...look into it!

-Raptor