Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Custom Side-Exit Exhaust (Chopped Pics Inside) - Opinions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Custom Side-Exit Exhaust (Chopped Pics Inside) - Opinions Needed

It's time for me to fabricate a full 2.5" exhaust system. I will be doing all the work. I am going to get a Carsound high-flow cat, 18" Magnaflow muffler, and mandrel-bent aluminzed exhaust tubing. What I would like to do is exit the exhaust in front of the rear tire. Not only would this simplify the design, but it should also give me better throttle response and possibly more power (in comparison to going up and over the axle).

I have toyed with a couple ideas, but the only other option is going between the trailing arm and the frame...and that puts the exhaust pipe too close to the tire.

This leaves me with one last possible idea: to go under the frame just in front of the trailing arm pivot point. Obviously this could create some clearance issues (exhaust could get smashed) but the plan is to fabricate a little angled piece of steel and weld it on to the frame to protect the pipe (see in red below).

What do you guys think? Am I overlooking anything? I thought about passengers getting burned on the pipe, but my rock sliders will prevent anyone's leg from touching it.

Here are some photochopped pics I whipped up real quick:

Thoughts? Opinions?
Old 01-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i wouldint do it
Old 01-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So just the red will be a steel plate? What about the very end of the pipe? Couldn't that still get smashed up on rocks or something similar?
Old 01-27-2007, 07:19 PM

Umm, I'm thinking that the pipe's gonna get destroyed dude.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Kyle95sr5
So just the red will be a steel plate? What about the very end of the pipe? Couldn't that still get smashed up on rocks or something similar?
The red would be a sturdy piece of steel bar(?), angled a bit. The pics don't really show how the end of the pipe would be - judging by my spare piece I put on there, it wouldn't get smashed during the mild wheeling that I do.

Still, I am listening to what everyone is saying. So far, not so good.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

You ought to just run smokestacks so when you go through reallllly deep water, you still have good power. :-)
Old 01-27-2007, 07:25 PM
CJM

The pipe will get destroyed wheeling, I suggest if you want a side exit to make it come out somewhere inthe lower quarter panel on the rear.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:33 PM

I think it looks really cool and you're definitely thinking outside the box. When I have been wheeling off-road, and I get hung up, more often than not, it is right there on that pivot point / bracket for the stock link. It takes a beating. But even beyond that, my concern would be more focused on the fumes. Even with my stock exhaust exiting from the factory location, if the right rear passenger door is open (to load up a kid and buckle him in), the entire inside of the 4Runner is engulfed in strong exhaust fumes. If your's exited right there - underneath the passenger door, it may be 10X worse as far as fumes are concerned. You basically would have to consciously turn off the ignition any time you needed to access that door or you and your passengers would be in for it But again, I have to say: it looks really cool!
Old 01-27-2007, 07:45 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

you could just cut it just after it starts the downward bend.

Its up and out of the way, cant see it, and no fumes at all. takes about 10 minutes to cut.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

I don't know if anyone has thought of this, but how about some how making it exit right out the top of the wheel well?

Yeah as RR DIFF LOCK has mentioned, when I wheel I get caught a lot right there so....

But still it's an idea
Old 01-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Ric it is funny that you have had no fume issues with that pipe cut off like that. When I was thinking of doing that to mine I ask here for opinions and some even went so far as to say I was needlessly endangering my family by considering it.

Glad it worked out for you.

As far as the pipe in the side exit location I fully agree that it is not a great place for it. I would crush it there for sure.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:06 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
i agree also, it would get smashed up, not to mention other cars that have it like that get mad dirty wheels!
Old 01-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by YotaFun
I don't know if anyone has thought of this, but how about some how making it exit right out the top of the wheel well?

Yeah as RR DIFF LOCK has mentioned, when I wheel I get caught a lot right there so....

But still it's an idea
Your pipe would get crushed with any kind of flexing...but the idea would be cool though

I like the idea of side exhaust but it is definetly suited for cars and show trucks. End it underneath or just run it out the back..
Old 01-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Ric it is funny that you have had no fume issues with that pipe cut off like that. When I was thinking of doing that to mine I ask here for opinions and some even went so far as to say I was needlessly endangering my family by considering it.
well i done this early this summer, and for about a month, I drove around with all, windows down, just the rear window down, just the sides down, you name it, I tried it. NO fumes at all. my thinking was, "if I could smell even the smallest amount of fumes, even "once" I would take it to a muffler shop, and have it exit between the frame and body, Like Crux did https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=83835&page=3
Old 01-27-2007, 09:09 PM

Buy a 2.5in exahust dump, cut off the exhaust right after the muffler and weld in the dump. I used to have this on my mustang and it sounded mean as hell.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

I thought carbon monoxide was odorless? Dumps freak me out.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i have my exhaust exactly like rics but mine is on the drivers side due to the exhaust coming out the drivers side from the factory. Took me 30 secs with a sawzall
Old 01-27-2007, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CO is orderless buy you can smell car exhaust most of the time. You can get a little CO detector too.

Lamm
Old 01-28-2007, 04:35 AM
Maj

In order to have a skid plate that would be effective for an exhaust like that it would have to be pretty beefy, cost you additional ground clearance and probably be ugly. If you are set on the idea I would make a two-piece system that joined inside the frame rail. Have an extra tail pipe section made and carry it with you. That way when you crush your pipe on the trail you could remove it and pop on your spare (have to carry tools to do so, of course).
Old 01-28-2007, 06:10 AM

It might look good, and there may be no odor. But you better check your state laws for vehicle inspection. Here in texas, your exhaust has to exit behind the cab of the vehicle. In the 4runners' case, the cab goes all the way to the back.

Quick Reply: Custom Side-Exit Exhaust (Chopped Pics Inside) - Opinions Needed