Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Custom Seats

Old 12-09-2005, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Seats

Hey guys,
for those of you that read the Off-Topic section you know that I'm going to be in the market for a new vehicle within the next month and at first I was looking at 100LCs and LX470s which would be great vehicles but having to run premium on a vehicle that gets 14/16 is just rediculous. I am now thinking of getting back into a 4Runner, but one problem is that I have yet to start shrinking. 02s Sports are in my price range and would leave a bit left over for a few things. First of which would have to be some custom seats. I know this has come up a few times in the past but it never really went anywhere. Has anyone put custom seats into a 3rd gen? I'm thinking of just going a totally custom wroute b/c like the idea of using some OEMs out of another vehicle with power and heat (probably will end up with Volvo or LC seats if they fit). I know two people that could help with the fab work, but I was just going to see if anyone has done this before or if anyone has any cool ideas that I have not thought of.

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2005, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

I think someone is selling LC seats.

I know nrgetic99 has looked into seating options in the past.

I would take some basic measurments of the 4r seat/ bracket and match that with seats you like and look good.

What are you looking for? Comfort? more room?
Old 12-09-2005, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there was apost not too long ago about someone puting in aftermarket seats, i think they were rocaro's but I can't remember exactly
Old 12-09-2005, 11:10 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had Corbeau sport seats in my '89. A friend had Subaru seats in his Mazda truck.

You can make just about anything fit with just a little fabrication/alteration of the mounts. You want to make sure they stay bolted down if you're in an accident though, so fab beefy!
Old 12-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You might like to consider Bride or Recaro seats. With some modification, I think you can adapt the stock support frame to the rails of your new seats.
Old 12-09-2005, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are probably a number of sports oriented cars that come with decent seats that the new owner doesn't think are cool enough. My STI came with decent seats. I figure if I ever want to put a better seat in the STI I'll put the STI seats in the truck. You might be able to find something like that on Ebay or in one of the car specific forums.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:26 PM
Contributing Member

Bigkahuna put STi seats in his 3rd gen. Try PMing him.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

It looks like BigKahuna hasn't been around YT for awhile. Has anyone else put Impreza seats in their Toyota Truck or 4Rnr? I scored some nice WRX seats I want to put in after I'm done with all the dirty work!
Old 06-03-2006, 06:23 PM

Perhaps not the nicest seats in the nicest truck, but I put '95 Camry seats in my '93 regular cab truck. It was a close fit, but I had to drill a hole where the outside rear hole on the new seats didn't land over an existing hole. Then of course, you have to put a nut underneath. They tilt slightly toward the doors, but nobody notices but me. It was such an improvement in comfort, I can't begin to explain. I can drive the entire six hours to my father's house without having to stop, and without having to shift my weight from cheek to cheek. I can't say the same for my MR2, or any other car.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:39 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the comfort of the WRX seats. I've had an STI since '04 and I've never been real happy with the seats in it. They're made for wider bodies than mine. So, I get too much lateral movement. The WRX seat is softer and you press into it a little more. So, it feels more comfortable and should provide good lateral support. The bucket seats that came stock in my truck (driver's seat included adjustable side supports, adjustable lumbar support, and adjustable front seat height) are great other than having endured 16 years of being my DD. I definitely get a sore butt on long trips.

As far as putting them into the truck . . the front mounting holes are similar although I haven't measured them yet. The rear outer is similar too. However, the rear inner is configured to mount to the vertical surface of the transmission hump instead of the horizontal surface of the cab floor. So, I'll need to figure out how to get these in the truck or they'll become the more comfortable option for the STI.