Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Crazy Oil leak HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy Oil leak HELP!!!

Hey guys, I've been searching and reading for hours and I can't find what I'm looking for. 1999 4runner, V6. 145,000 miles, regularly maintained. I took everything apart and changed the valve cover gaskets last week because they were leaking. They were leaking in the back of the motor, just like they usually do. A couple days later I noticed it was still leaking, so I assumed it was the cam caps(circled in blue). I didn't replace them because I didn't know I was supposed to until afterwards. So, I bought some from the dealer, I need to take it back apart to replace them

BUT, I was just poking around with a mirror to see exactly where the leak is coming from, just to make sure. So, the plugs I have circled in red, that appears to be where it's leaking. What's up with that? Is this common? Are those freeze plugs? Fyi, the valve cover gaskets are not leaking, and the cam plugs are still dry as well. Any help would be appreciated, thanks guys!!!

P.S. - This picture is not my motor, just a 5VZ pic I got online to use as reference
Attached Thumbnails Crazy Oil leak HELP!!!-back-motor.jpg  
Old 01-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you use FIPG/RTV in the spots specified on the head before placing the valve cover as specified in the FSM?

Look like it's: 11116A Plug, Tight No 1

http://www.utoyot8.com/Picture.aspx?...ccode=&ppName=

http://www.toyomotorparts.com/Page_P...3553,3554,3560
Old 01-29-2013, 04:12 PM

Yes I did use 'ultra black' RTV on specified spots...BUT, I did not pull out the half-moons to re-seal them. Nor did I change out the cam plugs (like earlier mentioned). So I'm kinda thinking. Maybe it's drizzling down the back of the motor (either from the half-moons, cam plugs, or both) and so much residual oil from that has gotten into those lower plugs, so they just appear to be leaking?! It's so hard to see back there, even with a dental mirror on a stick & a flashlight.

I'm thinking I will take it apart this weekend, re-seal half moons, replace cam plugs, clean the crap out of the back of the motor with brake cleaner and see what happens next. Whatcha think RWOregon?!?!
Old 01-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

I've not seen one of those 'tight plugs' leak..... So, I like your plan of: pull half-moons, clean and reseal them, replace cam plugs, then RTVFIPG at 4 specified positions front and back.....seal 'er up. Don't over torque the valve cover bolts... 53 in-lbs is spec.

Remember, to have the head, valve cover, and valve cover gasket free of oil when placing the RTV. RTV/FIPG doesn't adhere to oil so well.

I generally use a bit of brake cleaner on a clean rag as a final clean-up before placing the RTV down.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:46 PM

Thanks, will do! I have a little bit of O. O. O. O.....ocd when it comes to some things, haha. I will def clean it up good first. I went ahead and got some Toyota fipg when I picked up the cam plugs @ the Stealership, so I will use that this time. I bought an inch/lb wrench the other day, I prob had them a little tight to begin with. Will put a couple drops of blue lock-tite on each valve cover bolt, as well, seeing as how they always seem to loosen up over time. I'm wondering if I shouldn't pick up some new half moons to put in in case I mangle the old ones pulling them out?! If they stock them & they don't break the bank it couldn't hurt, I don't believe. Thanks for your feedback! I got plenty of 'views' but only you responded. Much appreciated...
Old 01-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

I thought the same with those half-moons...bought 4 when doing my HG and still have them. The old ones popped right out with a tug. I may have used a large plier with tape on the jaws to lift them straight up. My dealer did not stock them locally.

FIPG is great stuff......not a lot of open time once you place it so be ready to get the half-moons in place and then the covers on once the 4 locations front and back are FIPG'd.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think the bolts back out. What is probably happening is the rubber seal compresses and loosens up over time. Using loctite will make it tough to re-torque them later. But if you are curious, once you torque them down, mark all the bolt heads at 6 o'clock and see if they do back out.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:14 AM

Quick question!!! Did you guys re-use the half moons, or do u recommend putting new ones in?!?! I just called both dealers in town, neither of them have any. I have to let them know in the next few hours if I want any or not so they can ship from FL to be here tmrw. They are $14 ra, I really don't wanna spend that money if I can just re-seal the old ones and use them!!!

Thanks again!
Old 01-30-2013, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
they are aluminum. Reuse the old ones. You'll just need to clean them well and final wipe with acetone. Be generous with the Fipg. I did my covers last May and had to retighten them last week. The rubber loses its resilience I guess.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 AM

Ok, good to go!!! Thanks DrCoffee
Old 02-04-2013, 06:53 PM

Update: I pulled everything back apart Saturday. Pulled the half moons, re-fipg'd, and replaced & fipg'd the cam plug on the passenger side. Replaced the cam plug and re-fipg'd on the drivers side.

So, here's the funny thing. The half moons pulled right out on the pass side, but the ones on the drivers side wouldn't budge. My dad and I both tried to pull them for 20 mins but stopped before we damaged the aluminum. They didn't appear to be previously leaking so we just left them alone. The cam plugs in the rear had NO evidence of ever been fipg'd from the factory, kinda surprised me. So, the cam plugs were leaking down and bleeding oil onto the 'tight plugs' from what I can tell, which made it look like that was where the oil leak was coming from. The mirror-on-a-stick didn't reveal everything initially. It's pretty obvious that at least 2 people (one on each side) assembled that motor at the factory. The sides were no where near consistent with eachother. I've driven it 75 miles or so & it seems to be dry of oil on the back of the motor!!!

So, remember that, don't just slap on new valve cover gaskets w/o out checking the half moons and cam plugs. The plugs only cost like $11-14 ea, so do it and save yourself the pain in the butt, TRUST ME!!!