Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cranks but doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cranks but doesn't start

Hello,

I have a '01 Taco 2.7L. It cranks over but will not start. It's not the starter and battery is fine. I am thinking it may be the fuel pump. Looking at the pictures below is this a good place to see if fuel is going to the engine? As I start it I don't see any fuel coming out of that hose. Please advise, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Cranks but doesn't start-image.jpeg  
Old 03-18-2017, 10:04 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
Have an assist crank the engine over while you put your ear on the gas filler tube with the cap off and listen for the fuel pump to determine if your fuel pump is working. That is the fuel pressure regulator return line, so not an ideal location to test for fuel on a no start situation as it will only return fuel after it has reached its preset fuel pressure, but I guess it would do the trick although messy. All the engine needs to start is Fuel, Spark and Air, narrow it down logically and go from there.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I will give that a try.

i also tried spraying starting fluid in the throttle body and the truck started for a sec and died out, which also leads me to believe it's a fuel issue.

thanks again..
Old 03-18-2017, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The fuel, air, spark rule is always right but depending on your lever of experience with fuel injected engines, that may need a little elaboration. You not only need fuel in the rail but you need the injectors to receive their signal and then to open.

If you don't have a fuel pressure tester, the return line is actually the second best way to test. However, you need to take great care to route the fuel away from your truck and into a container. On the old 3.0L engines, you can attach a clear piece of tubing to that line and route it into a measuring vessel and run the pump for a minute, measuring the volume of fuel returned. I think the spec is around 1/2 liter per minute but you need to look that up for your engine, if that is even an approved method of testing on yours. I can't be sure what the spec is. I have a good fuel pressure testing kit and prefer that method to the fuel return method.

Regardless, if it will hit on ether, then you have spark. If it will half way try to run on ether, you have air. First determine if your fuel pump is providing fuel. If so, do some research on testing for signal to the injectors.