Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cowl Induction Hood scoop for gen-3 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cowl Induction Hood scoop for gen-3 4Runner

I checked the FAQ and no one seems to be interested in a bling-bling cowl add-on for the 4Runner. I don't particularly care for the OEM scoop hood, although it is very mice. I was thinking about sticking one of those AVS or LUND cowl bubbles on my truck. AVS' PN is 994001 and it sells for about $80.00 unpainted. It measures 22-1/4w x 29-1/4L x 2H

Has anyone installed a cowl scoop or any other style stick-on scoop? Please do not flame me for my creative thinking.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ManyMods
I checked the FAQ and no one seems to be interested in a bling-bling cowl add-on for the 4Runner. I don't particularly care for the OEM scoop hood, although it is very mice. I was thinking about sticking one of those AVS or LUND cowl bubbles on my truck. AVS' PN is 994001 and it sells for about $80.00 unpainted. It measures 22-1/4w x 29-1/4L x 2H

Has anyone installed a cowl scoop or any other style stick-on scoop? Please do not flame me for my creative thinking.
I don't know of anyone that has done it on a 3rd gen yet? I can get you the part you are looking for though.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jason B
I don't know of anyone that has done it on a 3rd gen yet? I can get you the part you are looking for though.
Hey Jason!
Man, I wish you'd come work with me --- and sell real estate. I love your moxi.

I still need to give you an order for that darn rear spoiler. My body shop guy and I just had a falling out over a Goodmark steel cowl hood installation on my Chevy PU, so my big dilemma now for any of this stuff is --- who's going to paint it? Guys around here only paint boats or houses.

You know, I was really down on all this stick-on stuff until I saw the new Dodge Hemi truck with the sport package. It had a faux scoop on the hood that looked very nice.

I promise I will get with you shortly for that spoiler, but I have been trashing my truck this winter with all the snow and stuff I have had to slog through and a was merely considering the hood accessory, but not yet committed to the idea the way I am to the spoiler. BTW, who needs a supercharger when you can't get any traction?
Old 02-05-2005, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by fs8459
so if you make the hood scope fuctional, which feed in cold air to the engine compartment when the vehicle is moving, do you get a slight increase in power or probably the same ?
This is just my opinion and YMMV, but this whole thing about getting more power from something like this is ridiculous. Do the airbox deckplate mod and the ISR mod and you will get more cfm air intake than from any hood mod --- dollar for dollar --- on our 6 cyl trucks. The hood thing is just for looks and not worth going any further.

My little brain actually rejects the OEM scoop because I think it adds even more residence to what is already like pushing a brick through water. These trucks are so non aerodynamic it is pitiful and that tiny wall created by the OEM non-functional scoop is just another point of resistance. Heck, some guys won't even install plexi hood deflectors for that same reason. At least the shape of the induction cowl scoop is somewhat aerodynamic. I know ---- picky, picky, picky.
Old 02-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Generally stick on scoops look exactly like what they are,stick on. At least the OEM does a good job of looking real. Like was stated above,it's your truck do as you please but if it's in bad taste expect to be called on it occasionally. A little "rice" is ok but alot of people get carried away.

My take on the whole areodynamic thing;it's a truck and the only thing that a bug deflector or a scoop is gonna make a difference is at high speeds and if you're still under 100mph a Runner is already a brick so a few do-dads here and there won't be noticeable.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:58 PM

My surco rack has three flat panes on each side of it, and I do think that the front and back of do add a lot of drag. Since I've put it on, it seems to downshift on smaller hills while interstate cruising. Also, if the wind is blowing against me, I get horrible gas mileage and it is a pretty noticably different feeling driving. I'm going to take it off to compare soon.
And get the factory style hood if you do it. Those look cool. The stick ons don't look as integrated.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:32 AM

Has anyone done this?

Both LUND and AVS can not offer any knowledge as to whether the windshield washer nozzles could be relocated on top of the abs plastic material of the hood scoop. According to my initial measurements, the cowl scoop is 22-1/4" wide at the rear and the span between the nozzle heads on the hood is 22-1/4" (outer edge-to-edge) and 21-1/8" (inner edge-to-edge). Is the abs plastic dense enough to support these tiny nozzle heads. I just want to know if anyone who has played with this stuff has done more than peel the tape off and stick um on.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

I thought about a cowl induction hood and moved onto an induction bumper. As I type this, a sheet metal fabricator is making me brackets to mount a sleek new pair of turn signals under the headlights and "scoops" that will mount flush in the TJM bumper. I will plumb them in to the intake box using PVC pipe or the like. I chose that route rather than just having him make the "scoops" under the headlight for two reasons: Uniqueness and space. I have more room to work with behind the TJM bumper and it's farther from the radiator. I hope to have the whole project completed by the end of March. I will be picking up paint next weekend and a new paint gun tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HaveBlue
I thought about a cowl induction hood and moved onto an induction bumper. As I type this, a sheet metal fabricator is making me brackets to mount a sleek new pair of turn signals under the headlights and "scoops" that will mount flush in the TJM bumper. I will plumb them in to the intake box using PVC pipe or the like. I chose that route rather than just having him make the "scoops" under the headlight for two reasons: Uniqueness and space. I have more room to work with behind the TJM bumper and it's farther from the radiator. I hope to have the whole project completed by the end of March. I will be picking up paint next weekend and a new paint gun tomorrow.
I have seen the headlight scoop before....might be a JDM part.
At any rate, let's see some pics when you are done.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

headlight scoop?
Old 02-11-2005, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dibble9012
headlight scoop?
It was a replacement part offered a few years ago that replaced the trim under the headlight. Instead of mimicing that part on my truck, I'm using the turn signal mount on the TJM and relocating the turn signals under the headlight.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:38 PM

I wanted the headlight scoop, as you guys are calling it, and Jason can get THEM --- yes, you have to buy the pair. I only wanted the right side duct and they were very expensive for what they are.

I also had an intake on one of my cars that plumbed down like the Calloway "honker" and I used a boat scupper as a scoop under the fender pan to induce more air flow. It looked great and worked nicely but the air flow naturally slows down with all the plumbing (length and turns) I know use a direct ram air intake and it is fabulous, but all of these things only work when you are moooooovinggggggggg I still say that the combo of the deckplate and ISR muffler elimination tube is the best bang for the buck --- any buck.

I guess you guys can go ahead and chat about whatever , but I wish I could get some help with my tacky project.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ManyMods
I wanted the headlight scoop, as you guys are calling it, and Jason can get THEM --- yes, you have to buy the pair. I only wanted the right side duct and they were very expensive for what they are.

I also had an intake on one of my cars that plumbed down like the Calloway "honker" and I used a boat scupper as a scoop under the fender pan to induce more air flow. It looked great and worked nicely but the air flow naturally slows down with all the plumbing (length and turns) I know use a direct ram air intake and it is fabulous, but all of these things only work when you are moooooovinggggggggg I still say that the combo of the deckplate and ISR muffler elimination tube is the best bang for the buck --- any buck.

I guess you guys can go ahead and chat about whatever , but I wish I could get some help with my tacky project.
Where would you put it? Center of the hood? Or right over the intake? How were you thinking of blending it into the hood? Fiberglass? Epoxy?
Old 02-11-2005, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

how exactly does the headlight scoop work, id be afraid of rain getting in, or when washing the car. What keeps the water out of the intake?
Old 02-11-2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by dibble9012
how exactly does the headlight scoop work, id be afraid of rain getting in, or when washing the car. What keeps the water out of the intake?
Yeah, that is about the line of thought I had, but I only wanted ONE duct, two looks stupid IMO.
Old 02-11-2005, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by HaveBlue
Where would you put it? Center of the hood? Or right over the intake? How were you thinking of blending it into the hood? Fiberglass? Epoxy?
No blending or anything. It is one of those "stick-on" pieces from LUND or its sister company, AVS --- same stuff.