Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Couple of questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Couple of questions...

Hey guy's, I just have a couple of questions regarding some threads of the past that I've been reading into. I've done a search and havent really come up with any real answers.
1) Panhard drop - bracket-.... What is the panhard? drop? bracket? what does it do?
2) Birfields.... I know they are one of the major components of the axle, the middle part? should I look into getting some stronger ones?
3) SAWS .... Ok, I first thought that was the short name for sway-aways, but now I know diferently. Shock absorbers? coils? Why are they so sought after?

So yeah, some may say, "He dont know shat!!" but hey, I've learned so much from this forum and I will always want to learn more!! The one and only downfall to yotatech is the fact that my wallet is always empty now :pat: So yeah any advise or info would be awesome. thx guys, and gals, Cheers, Lee
Old 08-09-2004, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4Runner 4Play
Hey guy's, I just have a couple of questions regarding some threads of the past that I've been reading into. I've done a search and havent really come up with any real answers.
1) Panhard drop - bracket-.... What is the panhard? drop? bracket? what does it do?
On a coil-spring suspension, the panhard rod is the one that runs diagonally from the frame to the axle on the opposite side. It's purpose is to keep the axle from moving side-to-side. Problem is, when you lift a coil-sprung suspension, this rod becomes too short and pulls the axle to the side while at rest. There are two possible fixes for this:
1. A longer panhard rod. While feasible, the panhard rod should be close to horizontal when the vehicle is rest. By using a longer one, it will run at an angle.
2. Relocate one of the brackets. The one on the frame is usually the easiest to relocate or drop such that you regain your suspension geometry and keep the rod as close to horizontal as possible.
2) Birfields.... I know they are one of the major components of the axle, the middle part? should I look into getting some stronger ones?
You don't have any, at least not by that name. Birfields are a form of CV joint found in solid axle front ends. While similar in design and function to those found in the IFS trucks, they have a notorious weakness that must be addressed when going to larger tires and locked front differentials.
3) SAWS .... Ok, I first thought that was the short name for sway-aways, but now I know diferently. Shock absorbers? coils? Why are they so sought after?
SAW is merely an acronym for a brand-name, just as you had originally suspected. They got their start making swaybars but no make a miriad of suspension components.

Last edited by toy283; 08-09-2004 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah.... I see said the blind man....

Just like the title says, Ahhh..... I see. Well thanks for the reply, It totally helped me out. Now I dont feel as dumb
cheers, Lee