Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Cost for retractable antenna

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost for retractable antenna

The antenna for my 01 Runner crapped out, it makes a lot of noise but it sounds like the gears have stripped.

I've seen the info regarding the whip mod and the process involved.

Could I get a few comments on what it would cost to replace/repair the stock retractable power antenna, including parts cost and hours of labor.

Sorry, I'm lazy to do much research right now and I know many of you could probably rattle off prices in your sleep.

Mahalos

Old 06-09-2006, 02:05 PM

While I was at the dealership getting prices for the whip antenna mod, I asked about the price for the motorized antenna. If the motor still works, but the antenna fails to retract, then the plastic teeth on your antenna are most likely broken/damaged. My dealership was going to charge me about $35.00 CAD for just the motorized/retractable antenna. From some of the write ups I've been reading here, it may be as easy as pulling out the damaged antenna and feeding the new one into place. I'm not sure about cleaning the motor to remove the borken plastic bits though.

If you do decide to go the route of the whip antenna, I'm sure you will be very happy with it. I know I am!
Old 06-09-2006, 02:20 PM

Most likely you can just replace the antenna mast (about ~$20 or so on eBay) and you'll be back in business. I had to do the same thing on my '01 as well because the mast broke due to AZ sun.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:08 PM

If you're interested in checking to see if it's repairable yourself let me know. you'll need some tools and you'll get dirty(greasy).
Old 06-09-2006, 05:20 PM

I have the same problem with my 02 --- any enlightenment would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-09-2006, 07:42 PM

you can get an aftermarket one at BestBuy for $50, and install would be anywhere form $32-$120 depending on the installer. It's not hard to install, just time consuming. Or, for the most part you can do what everyone else says, and replace the mast. I did this on my 99, and my sisters 01.
Brett
Old 06-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

I replaced the ENTIRE thing in for like $30 from eBay and it only took about 90 minutes to install. And I have never done one before.

This included the mast, motor, wiring, etc. This is the best way to go IMHO. It will take you a little time just to figure out what to do... but it's worth it for $30. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:33 PM

OK - so I found the replacement masts on ebay for $30 shipped. Is it just that simple to yank the old one out and put the new one in? Or do I go for the complete replacement for the motor and all?

I need to get the antenna fixed --- its really pissing me off!!!
Old 06-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
the antenna on my 4runner just makes a horrible grinding sound so i unpluged it and just pulled it up works fine
Old 06-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Contributing Member

I can't believe you can only find the mast for $30 without the motor. I got the ENTIRE setup, antenna, mast, motor, etc for $30 shipped. It wasn't an OEM Toyota onem but it was made for a 4Runner. Keep searching... you will find one. I think it's better to replace the whole thing while you're at it. It was almost a waste for me... I have probably use the radio 2 times in the past 3 years since I installed it... but I at least have an antenna when I want one.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:30 AM

If it is still grinding while you turn the radio on there is no need for a new motor...imho. As stated the replacement can be done, it is time consuming, as you need to remove the underside of the fender flare (black plastic inside wheel well) if you cannot get the entire antenna up when you pull it out.

If it all comes up when you pull then you can just feed the new one back in, but you will need to measure the old versus the new to make sure you have all the teeth. If you don't have all the teeth, then you need to go in and get the rest (inside the wheel well).

I have done it twice on the 4Runner (first one was faulty, and got a replacement due to one year warranty) and also did one on a Honda Accord of ours, all three in Jan./Feb. here in Central PA, very cold project. Both purchased on e-Bay for $20-$25.

Note: When you pull the old one out, remember which way the teeth were headed to replace the new one.

It is something you CAN do yourself, so I would say go for it....if all else fails yotatech is here and there is always a stealership that can help you out of some one $ if you get in a jam...

Good luck!
Old 06-12-2006, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by jimbob
OK - so I found the replacement masts on ebay for $30 shipped. Is it just that simple to yank the old one out and put the new one in? Or do I go for the complete replacement for the motor and all?

I need to get the antenna fixed --- its really pissing me off!!!
the way i did this was just loosen the nut on the mast on the exterior of your vehicle. Turn your radio on and the mast will come out. have someone, or be fast on your feet, to catch the mast as it comes out. to put the new one in simply feed the new one down and turn the radio off, the motor will grab your new teeth and pull it in. pretty easy fix.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:28 AM

Cool - yeah, I figure the motor is still good - it still operates - it just won't retract - if I run around to the passenger side after I shut the engine off and push down on the mast, it will retract. I figure the teeth are stripped right at the full extension point. I'm kinda leary of a whole motor assmbly for $30 --- I would question the quality. Looks like the replacement mast is the way to go - dealer wanted ~$140 to replace the mast - $240 if they had to dig the strap out of the motor.

I'll risk the $30. Anyone reccoment which group to get it from on ebay? It looked like there were two places hawking masts.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:31 AM

bridgewood_motorsports also go by AntennaMastsRUS

They were really nice to deal with, they also are the ones that helped me when the antenna needed replaced through warranty.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:53 AM

Hmmm... interesting.

Yes the motor still goes on when turning the radio on or off, but the mast does not retract. I will loosen the nut and see If I can pull out the broken mast.

Again, many thanks for all the great replies!
Old 06-12-2006, 04:54 PM

OK - ordered the mast from bridgewood. Was kinda bored so I went out to pull the old mast - came out really easy (yeah, REALLY greasy!), but I'm pretty sure there is a lenght of tooth cord left in there Looks like I'm in for the hard route! I will do some searching to find out what its gonna take, if anyone can make easy for me, I'd appreciate it
Old 06-13-2006, 07:24 AM

Check out this post:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76343

http://www.4runners.org/articles/whip/

It is for the Taco whip instal, but it gives you the idea on how to get there, just don't do the cutting suggested to remove the old one :pat:
Old 06-13-2006, 08:12 AM

Yeah, I found those already, but thanks That gets me TO the motor, but I am wondering what its gonna take to get the strap out of the motor Will I have to remove the motor, or is there a side plate that comes off without dismounting the motor? I would prefer not having to dig in and remove the antenna wire to the radio. I guess I'll be finding out when the mast gets here ~thursday.

Post up if anyone is interested in seeing any pics of what it takes. If people are interested, I'll go get a new bucket of gojo so I can take pics along the way --- I'm expecting its going to hella greasy judging by the gease just on the mast.

For anyone that is curious, the teeth on the mast point FORWARD when inserting --- this is a hard thing to catch as you rip the mast out!!
Old 06-13-2006, 09:05 AM

You will have to take it apart, I did it without removing the wires (I think). There are a few bolts to remove to open it up, but the majority of the unit is a housing to hold the coiled antenna teeth.

The toughest part, for me, was getting to it. once you are in there it all makes sense, really it does.

Hopefully someone with some better insight can reassure you also, but I am not the most mechanical person and I got it done.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:46 AM

well i had the same problem. i ordered a new antenna from ebay. all you do is take the retaining nut off the antenna base. turn on the radio and pull out the old antenna mast. now i just took out what came out, if there were any residual pieces left, well they're still in there. just remember which way the teeth were facing when you pulled it out. when you get the new antenna, the plastic teeth are coiled up. you need to uncoil them and get them as straight as possible. now all you do is feed the theeth in stil it catches the gears, and you turn off the radio to retract the antenna, you may have to do it a couple of time be fore it goes in right. but mines in and it works great.

Quick Reply: Cost for retractable antenna