Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

AT cooling: Here's what I've got, how would you do it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AT cooling: Here's what I've got, how would you do it?

I've got a 2000 Tacoma 4WD SR5 Auto w/ 2.7L 4cyl. I just bought a Rockwood 2516G popup camper. It's pretty large for a popup (2473lbs dry), so I want to help my truck as much as possible before we start travelling.

I have some things. None of this stuff is installed yet, I'm looking for feedback. I have:

- B&M 70264 Trans Cooler
- Hayden 401 Trans Cooler
- Equus 6232 Temp Gauge

I have some questions:
  1. Should I bypass the cooler that's built into the radiator? I've read about "Strawberry Milkshakes" in 4Runners. Is this a potential/likely problem that I should worry about for my 2000 Tacoma?
  2. Which combination of coolers would you use and in what order?
  3. Where would you mount these things? I've read that the best spot is right in front of the condenser. I don't see how that would be possible at all with the B&M 70264. It would help if I could take the grill off, but that's proving to be challenging.
  4. Where would you put the sending unit for the temp gauge?
  5. Where would you mount the temp gauge?

A lot of questions, I know. But I'd like to hear what others would do/have done that have this same truck.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-20-2011, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.yotatech.com/search.php?searchid=8684392
Old 06-20-2011, 06:27 AM

I don't think the Tacomas have the Stawberry Milkshake problem.

If you get a cooler you should bypass the radiator completely. You will need to take the grill off, it is a challege to get those clips off in one piece.

Mount it as close to the radiator as possible. Touching the rad. is best

I don't know about the temp gauge questions.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by badattitude
If you get a cooler you should bypass the radiator completely. You will need to take the grill off, it is a challege to get those clips off in one piece.

Mount it as close to the radiator as possible. Touching the rad. is best

I don't know about the temp gauge questions.
Ditto. I would put both on in series, each on one side of the condenser. Yeah, you have to take the grill off. It is a pain, but doable. Order some new grill clips from the dealer so that you aren't so worried about breaking them. It shouldn't be so hard to take them out using a couple straight edge screwdrivers.

Definitely search the topic as there are LOTS of install threads. Also, read B&M's install instructions and guide as they make recommendations about orientation.

For the temp gauge, Not sure about mounting, but I think you have a tranny temp gauge in there already. You can read it with a scangauge. I think all 99 and 00's have it. That's how I read mine. The SGII is expensive, but I love it, and it takes about 5 minutes to install and setup to read ATF temp.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
As others have said, mount in series with eachother. I would bypass the stock cooler for sure. You may or may not have enough room to mount them both in front of the AC condenser.

Have your sending unit reading the fluid coming out of the AT. I can't remember if its the top or bottom line. I did what Mt Goat did and just used a T-fitting to connect the sending unit to. Then I insulated it so I wouldn't get a false reading with neoprene.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:58 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ronnieoverby
I've got a 2000 Tacoma 4WD SR5 Auto w/ 2.7L 4cyl. I just bought a Rockwood 2516G popup camper. It's pretty large for a popup (2473lbs dry), so I want to help my truck as much as possible before we start travelling.

I have some things. None of this stuff is installed yet, I'm looking for feedback. I have:

- B&M 70264 Trans Cooler
- Hayden 401 Trans Cooler
- Equus 6232 Temp Gauge

I have some questions:
  1. Should I bypass the cooler that's built into the radiator? I've read about "Strawberry Milkshakes" in 4Runners. Is this a potential/likely problem that I should worry about for my 2000 Tacoma?
  2. Which combination of coolers would you use and in what order?
  3. Where would you mount these things? I've read that the best spot is right in front of the condenser. I don't see how that would be possible at all with the B&M 70264. It would help if I could take the grill off, but that's proving to be challenging.
  4. Where would you put the sending unit for the temp gauge?
  5. Where would you mount the temp gauge?

A lot of questions, I know. But I'd like to hear what others would do/have done that have this same truck.

Thanks in advance!
Read my post #3 here in this thread, ronnie
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...tumped-235143/